River Bend Middle
April 15, 2021
Traduccion en Espanol
- Para ver el boletin en Espanol haga click en el cuadrado negro ubicado en la parte derecha donde dice "Translate Newsletter"
- Cuando llegue aqui haga clic en la flecha que apunta hacia abajo y escoja el idioma "Spanish"
- All placement decisions regarding 100% distance learning and hybrid learning were locked as of Friday, April 9th. Based on our building capacity and the LCPS timeline for families to make changes due to unique situations, no more changes will be made for the 2020-2021 school year.
- The option for students to submit their own portrait photo for the yearbook is now open! CLICK HERE and submit your picture prior to Tuesday, April 20, 2021.
- The River Bend PTA is looking for individuals to join the 2021-2022 PTA Board. If you are interested in joining our team, please email email@example.com. We are currently looking to fill the following positions: Vice President of Programs, Treasure, Secretary.
- Quarter 3 report cards will be available in StudentVUE and ParentVUE on April 19th. Between April 26th - 30th, students and families may stop by the main office between 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. to receive an honor roll pin, sticker, and special treat!
- Congratulations to the River Bend Advanced Math Team for their performance in the statewide Virginia Math League Competition! Individual accomplishments include: Avishi Anurag (4th place for 6th graders), Ryan Chung (4th place for 7th graders), Madhav Krishnaswamy (4th place for 8th graders), and Shreyas Aggarwal and Sarah Chung (13th place tie for 8th graders). Team accomplishments include: 3rd place in the state for our 7th grade team and 4th place in the state for our 8th grade team!
- Friday, April 16 = LCPS Asynchronous Learning Day for All Students
- Friday, April 16 - Saturday, April 17 = PFHS High School Musical
- Monday, April 19 = MAP Assessment (Reading)
- Monday, April 19 = STEAM Expo Guest Speaker Paul Kaminski at 1:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 19 = Report Cards in StudentVUE/ParentVUE
- Tuesday, April 20 = Hybrid Students Return 4-Days Per Week
- Tuesday, April 20 = Spirit Week: Wear Purple to Show Support for Military Children
- Tuesday, April 20 = Academies of Loudoun Video Presentation for 7th Graders
- Tuesday, April 20 = Deadline to Submit a Yearbook Picture
- Wednesday, April 21 = Parent workshop: The Family Room - Safe & Supportive Environments at School at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 21 = MSAAC Meeting at 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 22 = Earth Day
- Thursday, April 22 = STEAM Fair Projects Live Website
- Monday, April 26 - Friday, April 30 = Quarter 3 Honor Roll Award Pick-Up
- Monday, April 26 = MAP Assessment (Math)
- Monday, April 26 = Academies of Loudoun Q & A for 7th Graders at 1:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 30 = Virtual Advisory Council at 9:00 a.m. bit.ly/RBMCounselors
- Monday, May 3 - Friday, May 7 = Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week
- Monday, May 3 = Reading SOL for 6th and 8th Grade DL Students
- Monday, May 3 = Parent Workshop: “Risky Trends Among Teens” at 6:00 p.m. bit.ly/RBMrobinson
- Tuesday, May 4 = Reading SOL for 6th, 7th, & 8th Grade Hybrid Students
- Tuesday, May 4 = Asynchronous Learning Day (No Advisory)
- Thursday, May 6 = Parent Workshop: Risky Trends Among Teens at 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 10 = Reading SOL for 7th Grade DL Students & Science SOL for 8th Grade DL Students
- Tuesday, May 11 = Science SOL for 8th Grade Hybrid Students
- Tuesday, May 11 - Wednesday, May 12 = Vision and Hearing Screening (7th Hybrid)
- Wednesday, May 12 = School Nurse Day
- Monday, May 17 = Math SOL for 6th & 7th Grade DL Students
- Wednesday, May 19 = Math SOL for 6th, 7th, & 8th Grade Hybrid Students
- Wednesday, May 19 = Asynchronous Learning Day (No Advisory)
- Wednesday, May 19 = MSAAC Meeting at 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 21 - Sunday, May 23 = School Musical Fame Jr.
- Monday, May 24 = Math SOL for 8th Grade DL Students
2020-2021 School Yearbook
We have a desire to include ALL of our students in the 2020-2021 River Bend Yearbook. Although many students were able to get their picture taken, we know that some students were not able to come into the building. The option for students to submit their own portrait photo for the yearbook is now open!
If you have not had your photo taken by Strawbridge Studios this school year, please CLICK HERE and follow the steps to upload your yearbook picture prior to Tuesday, April 20, 2021. If you are having trouble uploading your picture, please feel free to contact your child’s resource/spectrum teacher or our yearbook sponsor at Madeline.Miner@lcps.org. Please note that if a student did not have their picture taken by Strawbridge Studios this school year and does not send in a picture prior to April 20th, they will not be pictured in the 2020-2021 yearbook.
Ordering a 2020-2021 Yearbook
CLICK HERE for instructions on how to order a yearbook.
Lights! Camera! Appreciation! RBMS Studios presents... Staff Appreciation Week!
After such a challenging year, it's time to give our River Bend Staff the STAR treatment.
Like most things this year, our "ask" is a bit different for Staff Appreciation. We are crafting our celebrations following district safety guidelines and under careful budgetary constraints. We would be so grateful for the community's support in making this week special for our hardworking, adaptable, AMAZING River Bend Middle School Staff.
Staff Appreciation Week takes place May 3rd - May 7th. Submitting your contributions early would greatly assist us in our preparations. All donations are needed by Friday, April 30th.
Hybrid Students to Transition to 4-Days on April 20th
All placement decisions regarding 100% distance learning and hybrid learning were locked as of Friday, April 9th. Based on our building capacity and the LCPS timeline for families to make changes due to unique situations, no more changes will be made for the 2020-2021 school year.
LCPS Secondary Hybrid Model Resources
- Video Update from Interim Superintendent, Dr. Ziegler
- LCPS FAQs (March 17th)
- Hybrid Guide for Students & Families
- Hybrid Orientation Video
The spring non-writing SOLs are quickly approaching in May. We are awaiting further directives from the testing office before we set specific dates. As soon as we have a set calendar, we will communicate the dates with you. In the meantime, this Spring 2021 SOL FAQ includes answers to the most commonly asked questions over the past several months. A couple highlights to note:
- All SOLs will be given in person at River Bend. There is no virtual option.
- Students in Distance Learning will need to come into school to take their SOL.
- 6th Grade SOLs include Reading and Math
- 7th Grade SOLs include Reading and Math
- 8th Grade SOLs include Reading, Math, and Science; (Writing has been taking place in March, and Civics is now a Performance Assessment)
- There are no negative repercussions for refusing grade-level SOL tests. Refusals do not impact grades, courses, diplomas, graduation, etc.
- High-school level SOL tests, which include Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2, may have an impact on verified credits needed for graduation. Please refer to the FAQs for details on these courses and the impact of SOLs.
If you know in advance that you would like to refuse an SOL for your child, you may submit the River Bend Permission Click for Parent Refusals (bit.ly/SOLrefusal). Please be sure to select which SOLs you plan on refusing for your child. If you completed a form for the 8th grade Writing SOL and did not select others, you may complete it again and select all the ones you would like to refuse.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to the School Testing Coordinator, Juliet Kenny (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We have several students who attend River Bend Middle School on Special Permission. Please remember that Special Permission must be applied for every year. The window to apply for the 2021-2022 school year is April 1st - June 30th. More information and the link to apply can be found here. Please note that based on capacity, course enrollment, and staffing, many classes are full and some elective courses are not offered.
Virginia Mathematics Pathways Initiative
As LCPS prepares for the release of the 2023 Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Mathematics Standards and the implementation of the Virginia Mathematics Pathways Initiative (VMPI), families should be aware of the proposed changes to Mathematics course offerings. To understand the proposed changes to the course progressions, VDOE is offering Community Informational Sessions.
A series of virtual one-hour VMPI Community Informational Sessions will be held during the next several months to provide parents and community members an opportunity to learn more about the Virginia Mathematics Pathways Initiative. The sessions will take place virtually on the following dates:
- Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 6:30 p.m. - Essential Concepts in Grades 8 - 10
- Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 6:30 p.m. - Advanced Pathways in Grades 11 - 12
All sessions will be live streamed on the VDOE’s YouTube Channel beginning at 6:30pm with a 20-minute presentation from members of the VMPI Planning Committees and will follow with time for facilitators to respond to questions from the community. Questions participants would like to have addressed during the sessions can be submitted here. For additional information, visit the Virginia Mathematics Pathways Initiative (VMPI) webpage periodically, as additional information will be added as the initiative progresses. The Virginia Mathematics Pathways Initiative Informational Video provides valuable information about the initiative.
Young Entrepreneurs Academy Class of 2022 Applications Now Open
The application window is now open for the YEA Loudoun Class of 2022, the 6th Class! The Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA!) is an innovative, 7-month program that transforms middle and high school students into real-life entrepreneurs and business owners. The Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA!) is a groundbreaking and exciting after school program that transforms local middle and high school students into real, confident entrepreneurs. Through the year-long program, students in grades 6-12 generate business ideas, conduct market research, write business plans, pitch to a panel of investors, and launch their very own companies. This program is presented by the Loudoun Chamber Foundation and the Loudoun Economic Development Authority.
Learn more and access the application by visiting here! Applications due by June 12, 2021.
- Call the LCPS Technology Support Center at (571) 252-2112
- Email our Digital Experience Specialist at Patricia.Nelson@lcps.org
- Schedule an appointment at an LCPS centralized Hardware Repair Centers by visiting https://bit.ly/DDI-REPAIR. Please note that appointments are required.
Technology Turn-in Processes
PreK – 11th Graders: Except for graduating seniors, all students with an assigned computer planning to return to LCPS next year will maintain possession of their assigned computer over the summer break. These computers may be used for summer learning programs or securely stored in preparation for the next school year. The Department of Digital Innovation created this handout to answer questions about how to care for your computer over the summer.
Students withdrawing from LCPS: Students withdrawing from the district should return their assigned computer to their school. You will receive a hand receipt confirming the return of your assigned computer and charger. LCPS will generate an invoice for the replacement cost of any unreturned equipment. We also ask that you remove stickers to the computer before returning it.
Frequently Used Links and Resources
- LCPS COVID-19 Symptom Checker Questionnaire LINK
- LCPS Return to School Planning LINK
- Purchase a 2021-2022 School Yearbook LINK
- Raven Relief Fund LINK (supporting students and families in our community)
- PTA Membership LINK
- River Bend Library LINK
- Semester 2 Bell Schedule LINK
- A/B Day Calendar LINK
- River Bend Ravens Spirit Wear Online Store LINK
- 2021 Spring SOL Opt-Out Permission Click LINK