Ascend Aviator Alert - HS
Your Headquarters for all High School News that's Fit to FLY
ALA HS Update: June 4, 2021
Our ALA High School educator team creates an equitable learning environment where all students feel accepted, motivated, and challenged. We facilitate quality instruction with engaging, meaningful, and responsive learning experiences while providing social and emotional support to empower our students to achieve college, career, and life readiness.
"Summertime is always the best of what might be." —Charles Bowden
June Greetings, ALA HS Families!
We hope you are well and gearing up for a joyful summer break! As we wind down, here are a few quick reminders for you and your favorite Aviator scholar -
* ALA HS educators are still working on final grades, so you may expect report cards to be emailed in mid-June. Thanks for your patience!
*Summer School for English and Math will take place July 12-29, 2021. Sessions will run Mondays through Thursdays from 9-1PM. Letters have been sent out to students in need of summer school remediation. If you have received a letter, please indicate your response as soon as possible for our planning purposes. Thank you!
* ALA will return to session official on Monday, August 23. Orientation and back-to-school activities will take place during the week of August 16. We will send out updates for you to plan no later than the week of August 9.
* Our teachers will break for the summer beginning next Friday, June 11. The best way to reach your ALA team from that point forward will be via email. Our administrative team will do our best to respond to you within 48 hours, weekends and holidays notwithstanding.
NEWS YOU CAN USE
- Aviator Family Experience Survey - Our Leadership Team will meet late next week to plan for the BEST year yet, and we WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! Click here to share your perspective on how ALA is meeting your family's learning needs: https://forms.gle/jGEhzmo7742NcLmA7
- DID YOU KNOW? If you live in HARNETT County but have a high school student enrolled at ALA, you are expected to take Driver's Education in LEE County? Here's the website to learn more about Lee County's program: https://www.lee.k12.nc.us/domain/971
- The FDA and the CDC has approved the COVID19 vaccination for adolescents over the age of 12. Learn more here: https://www.ncdhhs.gov/news/press-releases/fda-and-cdc-authorize-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-children-age-12-and-older?mc_cid=84ba4943d3&mc_eid=76d4f2865a
Our 2020-2021 athletics seasons have concluded, though we're in need of fundraising to build & support future athletics programming. Please help!
ALA Snapraise Fundraising Link: http://www.snap-raise.com/join_code/149176546
- The Sanford Chess Club is now hosting limited opportunities to compete. Email Jeff at email@example.com or text him at 919-455-5794. We connected with these folks last year, and they are a great group. Players of every level are welcome.
- At least 25% of high school students recently surveyed admitted to VAPING or trying it. Please check this website to learn more about this teen temptation: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/how-help-your-child-quit-vaping.
Best wishes to each of you for a safe, joyful summer abundant in blessings and adventure! We look forward to welcoming you back in August!!
Janice Jett, PhD
ALA HS Principal
Ms. Grimm's MUSICAL THEATRE students recorded scenes from their spring production for you to enjoy. Check it out!
Thanks to our generous and devoted Aviator parents who help our young people SOAR!
Looking for a CHEERFUL summer activity? The deadline to register is Fri. June 11!
Aviator Athletics Celebration - Fri. May 14, 2021
Opportunity Calling for Future Healthcare Aviators...
Interested in a DRIVER'S EDUCATION OPTION at ALA? Coming in Fall 2021...
Math & Science News
ALA's Mathematics Department Mission Statement:
The mission of the Mathematics Department at ALA is to deliver rigorous and engaging instruction that will promote student self-advocacy, risk-taking, and strong teacher-student relationships. By providing quality instruction, we will produce competent students that are equipped with problem solving and critical thinking skills to succeed in a changing world.
ALA's Science Department Mission Statement:
The goal of science education is to prepare students to be responsible citizens in an increasingly complex and dynamic world. At ALA, we will provide students with the foundation to achieve, collaborate, and participate in engaging learning experiences. Our science curriculum will accomplish these goals through NC state science standards, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and Project Based Learning.
Click here for Ms. Lewis's Curriculum Night program: https://drive.google.com/file/d/179GtKsQ7zwBLmJKB-aQhid0gDoPbrXf_/view?ts=5fd2b5b5
Click here for Mr. Perez's Curriculum Night program: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K-E8gqEHWK0QOhf4CZ8BH3BiK_0nw2W_/view?ts=5fd2aacd
Click below for the latest updates from Mr. Blanks, Ms. Lewis, Ms. Martin & Mr. Perez:
ALA's Humanities Department Mission Statement:
Humanities and Social Sciences challenges students to understand their responsibilities in a globally changing world and provides opportunities for developing socially responsible future citizens that encompass our core values of respect, accountability, integrity, service, and excellence in order to work collaboratively to make the world a better place. As the academy leader in offering high-quality, innovative education, the department prepares students for a successful life in a democratic society through preparing them for future careers of choice.
-Ascend Leadership Academy Humanities Department Mission Statement, 2020
Click below for the latest from Ms. Ladner, Ms. Lee & Mr. Wedlock:
Click here for MS. LEE'S CURRICULUM NIGHT presentation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fi_Rp6STfdlE-sJcz7Tjl_RCrFS0zl3H/view?usp=sharing
Update from Mr. Wedlock
Curriculum Night Info for 9th Grade WORLD HISTORY: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nh1wiN_Y6Bxgx2TfvxqH9gm6vM_oGwrB
Curriculum Night Info for 10th Grade CIVICS: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nh1wiN_Y6Bxgx2TfvxqH9gm6vM_oGwrB
Hey there! Are you interested in podcasts, radio hosting, or editing audio? Do you have a passion for community outreach? Do you want to stay up to date with all things ALA? If the answer is yes, then ALA has the place for you! Ms. Pyrtle and Mr. Wedlock are looking for interested students who would like to create and produce a weekly podcast that focuses on ALA news and community projects. Please complete the ALA Podcast Interest Form and let's get this ball rolling!
Digital Media News
The mission of the Digital Media department at ALA is to encourage creativity, innovation and collaboration to enable students to produce entertaining content that contributes to society in a way our students can take pride in.
Click here to view our Digital Media Curriculum Night program: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GnO-rvbUzRlaWVaHUXZlpND6ykKCPebV/view
ALA Electives Team Mission Statement:
As an elective team, we promise to equip you with the life skills needed to succeed both in and out of schools. We promise to create a safe, non-judgemental space that is culturally inclusive where every child can succeed. We promise to create a place where we can praise each other in good times and counsel each other in the tough times. We promise to challenge you, both physically and artistically, every day so that you can be the best student and person you can be.
Check out Art Teacher Ms. Louis Jean's CURRICULUM NIGHT slide show. She wins for BEST DESIGN featuring the students' GORGEOUS artwork - https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1L3odXSze7nrBpD2AZ0eECnnCB48OdehHq_n-DBsS0Fo/edit?usp=sharing