Don't Let The Lipstick Fool You
By: Lisa Leslie with Larry Burnett
The book, "Don't Let the Lipstick Fool You." Is in Lisa's hometown in Gardena, California. When Lisa is in high school at Morningside High school in Los Angelos. Lisa is a strong, beautiful, hardworking, and inspiring role model.
- When Lisa finally decided to join the Morningside High school basketball team.
- Lisa was being noticed to play college ball by a lot of colleges but her mom was getting into the way
- Lisa's mom didn't believe in Lisa and thought playing basketball was a waste of time and that she should focus on more things in life like beauty. Beauty meant nothing to Lisa and when Lisa's coach found out about what her mom was saying he confronted her and told her that Lisa was an tough and strong athlete and that she should follow her dreams and that Lisa's mom should let her follow them too.
- Lisa followed her dreams and went on to play at the University of Southern California.
- Lisa finds a new dream and now it is to make it professional in basketball, but the thing that was holding her back is leaving her family in her hometown.
- Lisa goes to training camps and trains and trains to make it into the WNBA where see wants to play basketball until she has to retire.
Lisa is in her house with her sister and her coach. With the 1997 WNBA draft picks on waiting and waiting for her name to be called then finally the announcer says, " In the 1997 WNBA draft pick the Los Angelos Sparks pick Lisa Leslie from Grdena, California!" Lisa and them went crazy and Lisa realizes her dream came true.
The problem was that Lisa's mom didn't believe that she could do it, or be strong enough to follow her dreams. Then when Lisa was actually drafted into the WNBA league her mom actually believed that basketball wasn't a waste of time and gave her the blessing to pursue her dreams.
Lisa said the thing to learn from this story is that even though the people you thought would believe in you the most don't doesn't mean you stop believing in yourself. Lisa's mom didn't believe in her that she could make it far in basketball and Lisa's mom tied to break her down a lot, but Lisa grew stronger and still believed that she could do it and that was enough to have her dreams to come true.
Why I choose this source
I choose this source because the main character which is Lisa Leslie is a basketball. She used to play professional ball. That connects to my site because my site talks about the history of basketball and how it became a national sport.
Five important facts about my source
- Invented in 1891 by James Naismith in Spring field Massachusetts.
- According to Naismith basketball is a mix of three sports, soccer, la crosse, and ducks on a rock. Ducks on a rock was one of his childhood games.
- The final score of the first basketball game was 1 to 0.
- First shot ever made was a 25 foot shot. Which is a half court shot(Naismith).
- When the game was first made you had to follow 13 rules. One of those rules were that only white people could play with white people and colored people could only play with colored people.
- The one thing that James said to his team after he created the game is, "Be strong in body, clear in mind, lofty in ideals."