RAM and ROM
Random Access Memory and Read Only Memory
By Callum Leith
If you don't already know, RAM stands for Random Access Memory.
- It is where the operating system (e.g Windows 7) is loaded to and it also holds all programs and data.
- The processor can read and write to RAM at high speeds.
- Data within RAM can be changed unlike ROM
- All data in RAM is lost when the computer is switched off.
ROM stands for Read Only Memory.
- It is used to store a small part of the operating system called the Bootstrap Loader
- Data is stored permanently in ROM
- Data is not lost when the computer is switched off.
- Data in ROM cannot be changed