Mr. Nielsen's Wildcat Newsletter
Madrona News: Saturday, November 28, 2022
Kudos to Madrona Mathletes!
- 8th grader, Dean Sasaki, swept up his division winning 1st place in both the Individual and group division.
- 6th graders, Calvin Shieh, Ryan Quach, Jonah Ancheta and Carys Evans won 1st place in their 6th grade group division
- Calvin Shieh won 3rd place in the 6th grade individual division. Great Job Guys!!
Madrona @ Lost Girl, Torrance High
Madrona Girls Soccer Team - 2022
Q1 Honor Roll - 3.5 GPA and above, all E and/or S in Citizenship
- See the list HERE
- Congratulations to the nearly 52% or our students for earning Honor Roll
Q1 Perfect Attendnace (present all day with no Late Tardies or any absences)
- See the list HERE 157 students!
Reading Program Kudos!
- Top class Week 2 Nov: Dr. Torres P1 = 6,929 min
- Top reader: Carys Evans = 1,350 min
- Everyone = 158,255 min
- Mr. Estefan: Shout out to Jose Sanchez for selecting the reading book Ruin and Rising (Shadow and Bone - part 3). Keep picking exciting reading books to challenge yourself with, Jose! Shout out to Nathan Diaz for a positive and outgoing attitude. Good luck with your move, Nathan; you will be missed by your classmates!
- Mrs. Miksimen: Congratulations to my super science students who scored A's on their Heat and Energy Test: Rocco Kelly received the highest test score out of both my classes. Alex Anguiano, Mana Lee, and Kohki Kuwamura. This was not an easy test. Great work.
- Mrs. Miskimen: Congratulations to my students who earned "A's" on quarter #1 report card: Ethan Albor, Alex Anguiano, Kyra Castrillon, Ann Chen, Jayden Ishida, Sheena Kakitani, Noah Lee, Abby Mijares, Kei Nakanishi, Anukamba, Ian Arai, Marcus Dinco, Sam Nam, and Daniel Patel. Great work and keep it up!. Amazing way to start of your middle school.
- Ms. Fu: Congrats to Period 4 for winning the 'I Have, Who Has' class competition! Also, wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all of my students, I am thankful to be your teacher. Have a wonderful and safe break!
- Mrs. Ton: Congratulations to our Smash Bro eSport team: Sam Apodaca, Tyler Homma, and Kei Nakanishi for defeating Bert Lynn 4-0. Way the go! Our final match is the week after Thanksgiving break verses Calle. Good luck!
- Mrs. Ton: Thank you everyone who donated to our Annual Canned Food and Toiletry Drive. As a school, we gathered over 400 items for our Madrona families in need. Thank you to the Moy Family for donating Thanksgiving meals. 8th grade won by donating 198 items. 7th grade came in 2nd with 112 items, and 6th grade came in 3rd with 89 items.
- Mrs. Young: Dante Golia for being a good group leader in social studies, Keagan Rholer great job staying focused an on topic in ELA, Jacob Yamamoto, Jonah Ancheta, Iori Kurata, & Scarlette Hacket- Great job on your social Studies posters, Marcielo Mena for great participation this week, Noah Wilson for his positive energy and participation in class, and Max Paquin for making me laugh.
- Mrs. Miskimen: Miskimen's fastest mile times period 2 on 11/17: Alex Anguiano (6:54), Ian Aria (8:52), Shuya Araki (8:24), Matthew Claustro (8:57), Marcus Dinco (7:56), Leo Furuta (7:54), Jaxon Gerszewski (7:19), Liam Guba (7:52), Jordan Guerrerro (8:55) Great job especially with 2 weeks off of running the mile.
- Ms. Nguyen: Thank you to my Science 6 students for testing out my beta Escape Room. Hope you all enjoyed it! Have a great and restful Thanksgiving Break!
- Mr. Freitas: Henry Kim and Vova Pak- great work with your demonstration duet for your group! I appreciate your leadership.
- Mr. Estefan: Shoutouts to Camilo Alvarez, Thomas Frame, Javondae Prater, Jayden Daly, Sophia Estrada, Cyrus Engoy, Dimitri Burch, Gemma Tejeda, and Carissa Chang for building and managing the new raised gardens growing on campus; to Daniela Alvarado for excellent reading habits, and to Sofia Galindo for collaboration and being helpful to a new student.
- Ms. Portillo: Shout out to my 4th and 5th periods for awesome Shark Tank Presentations this week and for supporting one another!
- Mr. H: Shout out to Brittany Serrano for outstanding effort and achievement in ELA. Bravo! Shout out to Ellie Russell for improved efforts and achievement in ELA! Well done! Shout out to Riley Dinco, Sofia Caballero, Rachel Morris, and Katelyn Mansour for attending Lost Girl at Torrance High School. Bravo!
- Ms. Brown: Warner Guba- Thanks for always having a smile and being friendly to all you meet! We will miss you at Madrona, but wish you all the best at your new school!
- Mrs. Fisher: So proud of my sixth-grade class for working hard on this week's learning target, especially Lily Hart, Francisco Ledesma Moral, Madelynn Gomez, Hannah Lavi, Mia Lopez, Lorenzo Rendon, Dustin Santiago, and Alfonso Tarula.
- Mrs. Bloomfield: Brittany Serrano- Thank you for decorating my door. It looks fabulous.
- Mrs. Mikimen: Congratulations to all the runners who participated in the West High Night 1 mile run on Thursday, Nov 17: Rocco Kelly, Carys Evans, Liam Guba, Val Araujo, David Nevarez, Joseph Ramclam, Cenzo Roosa, Haru Shiokawa, Cyrus Engoy, Meigan Partida, Tyler Homma, Jiwon Jung and Sakurako Nakagawa. Great job Wildcats.
Gum on Campus
Support Madrona - Ralphs Community Donations
Clubs & Activities on Campus!
Esports –Advisor, Mrs. Ton
Practices Tuesdays at lunch in Room 29. Match play Tuesday’s after school 3:30 – 4:40.
Project Growth (aka Gardening Club – Advisor, Mr. Estefan
Meetings are Wednesday’s at lunch, Rm 22. Plan, assess, build, and maintain one or more native plant gardens(s).
Chess Club –Advisor, Mrs. Bloomfield
Begins October 12. Meets Wednesday’s at Lunch and open to all– drop on in – Room 14.
Ultimate Frisbee – Advisor, Mr. Freitas
Wednesdays at Lunch on the Field
Cinema Club – Advisor, Mr. Snow
Meets Thursday and Friday at lunchtime in room 25. Watch wonderful films across all genres and eras. All film and popcorn enthusiasts are welcome!
Math Club – Advisor, Mr. Khan
Meets Thursday’s 3:30 – 4:30 in Room 24. Madrona Alumni from Torrance High School will also be on hand to help with math fun!
Art Club – Advisor, Mr. Heussenstamm
Meets Thursday’s 3:30 – 4:30 in Room 26. A student-driven club. Student decide the direction. No previous art experience necessary.
Please click here to support Madrona Middle School's PTSA! A link to the donation form is below.
We need parents to help make our 8th grade picnic and dance special! Please click above to volunteer!
Poetry Contest -February 7 Deadline
First Place winners in each category will receive $100 cash prizes.
Second Place winners will receive $50 cash prizes.
Third Place winners will receive $25 cash prizes.
More info can be found here.