Message from Academy of the Canyons' Principal, Dr. Fine
Weeks of 3/6-3/10
I hope that you had a wonderful weekend! Friday is a M/W schedule. Here is the bulletin for this week.
The ASB Talent Show has been rescheduled for March 31st in the COC gym from 6pm-9pm.
For our student, staff, parent and COC community safety, please follow our drop off and pick up plan. This will keep everyone safe. Thank you!
- March 17-End of 3rd Quarter
- March 31- AOC Talent Show Rescheduled for 6pm-9pm in COC Gym
- April 3--Spring Break for AOC, No School for WSHUHSD
- April 28-End of 4th Quarter Progress Report Card
- May 11th-Showcase
- May 12th-16th- Senior Final Exams and Projects
- May 17th- Graduation at 6pm
- May 22-26-AOC Final Exams
- May 30th-June 1st-COC Final Exams
- May 29-No School, Memorial Day
- June 1-Last day of school
- June 2-Teacher work day, no students
Have a wonderful week!
Dr. Juliet Fine
Principal of AOC
Carla Tuttle, Office Manager/ Registrar- firstname.lastname@example.org
Healthy and Safe Reminders
Each day before coming to school or work, evaluate your own symptoms and take steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. If you are sick with COVID-19 or think you might have COVID-19, follow the steps below to help protect other people in your home and community.
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms ranging from mild to severe illness. Some people with COVID-19 have no symptoms. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus but it may not be possible to know when or how a person got infected. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
This list does not include all possible symptoms. Older adults and people who have severe underlying medical conditions like heart or lung disease or diabetes seem to be at higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19 illness.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status, get a COVID-19 test right away and stay home. For information on how to get a COVID-19 test, visit ph.lacounty.com/covidtests/how or contact your medical provider. COVID tests are also available at your workplace or at a district testing hub.
If you test negative for COVID-19 or your provider tells you that you don’t have COVID-19, stay home until you have been fever-free without the help of fever-reducing medicines for at least 24 hours.
If you are a close contact to someone with COVID-19 and you have no symptoms, you do not need to quarantine. You are required to wear a highly protective mask around others for 10 days, get tested 3-5 days after the exposure, and monitor their health for 10 days. Refer to Instructions for Close Contacts (ph.lacounty.gov/covidquarantine) for the most up-to-date information.
For more information regarding how to stay safe and healthy or how to get vaccinated, visit the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s COVID-19 Homepage (publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/).
William S. Hart Union High School District
Community Members are Invited to a Sister Cities Hike on March 18th with our Japanese Exchange Students at AOC
Hello, Santa Clarita Sister Cities Friend. We are excited to bring back the Santa Clarita Sister Cities Charity Hike! After having to postpone the Charity Hike due to COVID-19, the hike is now ON and scheduled for March 18, 2023. Hope you can join us! Please visit SantaClaritaSisterCities.org to register.
Date: Saturday, March 18, 2023
Location: Rivendale Park & Open Space /Ed Davis Park at Towsley Canyon
24335 The Old Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91321
· 6:45 – 7:45 a.m. Check-in and event shirt pick up
· 7:30 a.m. Zumba warm-up
· 8:00 a.m. Hike start time
Trail Options: Choose between:
· The challenging 5.1-mile Towsley Canyon Loop Trail with its panoramic views of the Santa Clarita Valley; 0r
· The scenic, rolling hills of the 1.6-mile Elder Loop Trail
Funds raised will benefit the following Santa Clarita Sister Cities’ Local-to-Global programs:
- Youth, educational, and cultural international exchanges
- Global collaborative projects, e.g., providing school desks for students in the Philippines; installing medical kits in schools in Ecuador; installation of libraries in schools in Nicaragua
- The fostering of global awareness through the Sister Cities Young Artists/Authors Showcase
We hope to see you on the trail!
Santa Clarita Sister Cities Program
Phone: (661) 250-3726
Senior Dance Tickets on Sale
Hey Seniors, are you going to the Senior Dance? Senior dance tickets are $75.00 each through the end of March. They will go up in price to $85 after spring break, so buy one today! Come on out and make memories to last a lifetime. Please remember that the Senior Dance will be on Friday, May 5th from 7:00 to 10:30 p.m.
If you miss the Senior Dance,
Then you'll have lost the chance
To make memories that'll last
Long after the night has passed.
Buy your ticket before spring break.
The price increase, you can forsake.
So on the first Friday in May,
You can dance the night away!
After March 10th, if students want quick check-ins they can book another appointment or use walk-in hours Monday-Thursday from 11am-12pm. See below for more grade specific reminders
9th Grade Students
- 9th grade students can take College and Career Readiness classes through the Hart District. More information will be available on March 1st on the district website https://www.hartdistrict.org/apps/pages/summer-school. Should your child want to take a CCR course, please have them see me. Classes take place all of July.
10th Grade Students/11th Grade Students
- COC Summer Session dates are below:
- Summer Session 1: June 5 – July 8 (5 weeks)
- Summer Session 2: June 12 – August 5 (8 weeks)
- Summer Session 2.5: June 20 – July 22 (5 weeks)
- Summer Session 3: July 10 – August 12 (5 weeks)
- Do you want to learn more about the University of California system? Learn more by attending the UC for Everyone Zoom session on March 1, 2023 at 7pm. Registration is required. Register at: https://connect.admission.ucla.edu/register/ucforeveryone23
Project Linus Make-a-Blanket Day was a Success on 3/4!
Changing lives one blanket at a time
Sharon Garvar's son was born with pneumonia. In a time of critical need, he received a blanket. This physical representation of warmth and comfort brought exactly that to Garvar during that difficult time. Feeling all of the benefits of that one blanket made Garvar want to do the same for others through the organization that [...]
AOC Wellness Department Presents the "Game of Life" on Friday, 3/2-OUTSTANDING!
Academy of The Canyons is proud to present the Game of Life. Originally created in 2011 by The SCV Youth Project, the Wellness Team of AOC is bringing back this youth-focused, community resource event. Our students will have an opportunity to connect with agencies in the SCV and surrounding areas in order to learn strategies and coping skills that can help themselves and others in crisis situations.
This event will be held on campus for our 9-12th grade students, who will spend 1 class period participating with fellow classmates to problem-solve real life scenarios by visiting each of the agencies connected to that particular situation. For instance, teens needing to solve a sample crisis situation of domestic or substance abuse, unhealthy relationships, anxiety, and depression can visit one of the community resource agencies that focuses on these topics. The real-life scenario allows the students to meet with representatives from the various agencies and receive information and community resources for all types of services such as those for mental health, substance abuse, domestic violence, LGBTQ+, and more.
Given the multitude of daily life struggles teens may encounter, the AOC Wellness team feels it is important to bring awareness to these real-life situations and teach our students to reach out for the proper tools & techniques to cope with stress and crisis situations.
Xander Rhee will Represent AOC in Westflix Film Festival!
Xander will be representing AOC at the Westflix film festival this March 17. He was chosen along with 15 other students among 171 submissions for his short film titled Elusive. Check out the link: https://www.hw.com/westflix
Teachers Learn about Universal Design (UDL) from Ms. Jess, English 12 Teacher
Academy of the Canyons
Location: Academy of the Canyons, Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA, USA