LCMS Weekly Newsletter
By Tami Gunset
I hope that you had a great weekend. It sure has been cold, so I hope that you have stayed warm. Our first week back was smooth and I appreciate your child's efforts to make it a great week.
Third Six Weeks and Fall Semester report cards have been mailed.
After-school clubs will start back this week. We have posted the calendar for the morning and after school clubs offered this semester. Please encourage your child to get involved in a club. There is bus transportation, which will leave our campus at 5:15pm Monday through Thursday. We do not offer any clubs Friday afternoon. If you have any questions, please contact our ACE campus coordinator, Suzy Rosales.
2016-2017 Schedule Request for 8th graders (Freshman Schedule for LCHS)
That evening, January 25 @ 6pm, a parent informational meeting will be held regarding requesting courses and the different tracks pertaining to House Bill 5. I would highly encourage each parent to attend as they will cover questions you will have about your child's freshman schedule.
Schedule request will need to be entered into Career Cruising by January 29. This is something that you and your child should complete at home once you have received all the information. Please let me know if you have any questions.
2016 LCISD District Wide Science Fair
Students are expected to set up their own projects on Thursday, January 14, 2016 at the LCHS Indoor Training Facility from 3:45-6:00pm. If their board is not set up and ready to go by 6:00pm, their project will NOT be judged.
Judging will take place at the Indoor Training Facility during the school day on Friday, January 15. (Students will NOT be excused from school for Science Fair). Only the judges will be allowed into the Indoor Training Facility during this time and the doors will be closed to the public until 5:00pm.
We invite ALL our parents, family, friends, guests, and students to come by and view all projects during our Science Fair Open House on Friday, January 15 from 5:00-6:30pm. Once you have finished observing all projects, please take your project home with you. If you are unable to attend the Science Fair Open House to pick up your project, PLEASE make arrangements with another student/family to pick up the project.
We will be taking a total of 21 students (seven from each grade level) to compete at the Regional level this year at Texas Tech University, with the hopes that many will qualify for the state competition.
Projects chosen to advance to the Regional Science Fair on February 5 at Texas Tech University will be marked and selected students are expected to keep all materials to be displayed at the Regional Science Fair.
We are very excited about our upcoming LCISD District Science Fair and look forward to seeing the results of all your student's hard work.
Community Rewards - 3rd place
21st Century Before and After School Programs
Spring programming is here at LCMS! Please look over the list and return the attached registration form as quickly as possible to ensure your student is enrolled in the class of their choice. We will also offer tutoring this semester. These tutoring sessions will be offered per teacher recommendation – so be on the lookout for a special registration form from your student’s teacher(s). We are excited about the programming we have available and hope you are too!
Robotics – students will learn the principles and dynamics of robotic construction and how this exciting career field is growing.
Technology Club – students will have the opportunity to utilize our Xbox gaming systems and games. Additionally, students will be exposed to other technology resources.
Space Explorers – students will have the opportunity to explore rocket science, space food and nutrition, astrobiology, and new planet discussion and discovery.
Daybreak and Second Chance Homework Help – two opportunities to
complete homework or work on a school project with a teacher’s help.
STEM – get ready for Science Fair! Students will engage in different science, technology, engineering and math projects.
Police Explorers – learn about current law enforcement issues and explore the law enforcement career field – guest speakers will be on hand to give insight into law enforcement career fields.
Chess Club– opportunity to learn how to play chess and fine tune skills.
- Leadership Live – community projects, mentoring, student council, learning about government – all great additions to college transcripts and work applications.
Organizational Guidance – meet every other week to keep on track and stay organized – with your homework and backpack.
Pom/Drill Team Dance – a great opportunity to learn the dynamics and fundamentals of dance from a professional dance instructor.
Sunrise Leadership – make plans to join and listen to great speakers who will share motivating and uplifting personal stories, and a great way to start your Thursday.
Sports Clinics – special clinics and open gym times will be offered throughout the semester. Watch for additional notification to come home with your student.
STAAR Tutorials – notifications will be sent home with your student via special registration.
Next Two Weeks Calendar Events
- Monday, January 11 - Girls Basketball vs Mackenzie @ LCHS (6pm/7pm)
- Monday, January 11 - Boys Basketball @ Mackenzie (5:30pm/6:30pm)
- Wednesday, January 13 - TTU Community Engagement Program (4pm-5pm)
- Thursday, January 14 - Science Fair set-up @ LC Fieldhouse (3:45pm-6pm)
- Friday, January 15 - District Wide Local Science Fair @ LC Fieldhouse - All Day
- Friday, January 15 - District Wide Science Fair Open House@ LC Fieldhouse (5pm-6:30pm)
- Thursday, January 21 - Girls Basketball vs LBMS @ LBMS (5:30pm/6:30pm)
- Thursday, January 21 - Boys Basketball vs LBMS @ LCHS (6:00pm/7:00pm)
- Monday, January 25 - 8th grade to PAC for HS Schedule Request (9:00am)
- Monday, Janaury 25 - 8th grade Parent Meeting for HS Scheduling @ PAC (TBA)
- Monday, January 25 - Girls Basketball vs Evans @ Evans (5:30pm/6:30pm)
- Monday, January 25 - Boys Basketball vs Evans @ LCHS (6:00pm/7:00pm)
- Thursday, January 28 - School Board Meeting @ North Elementary (7:00pm)
- Friday, Janaury 28 - Hat, iPod and Holey Jean Day ($1 for each item)
- Friday, January 29 - 8th grade Schedule Request DUE online
2016 STAAR DATES
- 8th grade Mathematics
- 7th grade Writing
Wednesday, March 30
- 8th grade Reading
Week of May 2-6
- 8th grade Algebra EOC Assessment Window
Monday, May 9
- 6th grade Mathematics
- 7th grade Mathematics
- 8th grade Mathematics ~ Second Administration (those that did not pass in March)
Tuesday, May 10
- 6th grade Reading
- 7th grade Reading
- 8th grade Reading ~ Second Administration (those that did not pass in March)
Wednesday, May 11
- 8th grade Science
Thursday, May 12
- 8th grade Social Studies
Friday, May 13
- STAAR Make-up DEADLINE
Tuesday, June 21
- 8th grade Mathematics ~ Third Administration (those that did not pass in May)
Wednesday, June 22
- 8th grade Reading ~ Third Administration (those that did not pass in May)
Attendance Reminders for LCMS:
- School begins at 8:00 AM.
- First bell rings at 7:55 AM.
- Tardy bell rings at 8:00 AM.
- Any arrivals after 8:20 AM are counted as an absence for 1st/9th period.
- If your student is ill, please call in by 10:00 AM. The attendance line phone number is (806) 863-7184 (Sally Aguilar) – it is important to call the attendance line rather than the main line to report an absence.
- Students are allowed up to seven days excused with a parent phone call or parent note.
- After a student's seventh absence, a doctor’s note is required.
- Students are allowed one personal day per year (counted as an excused absence.) Written notice must be approved by campus principal three days prior to the absence. Please keep in mind that the personal day must be taken before the student's seventh absence.
| || |
Parent Organization Facebook Page - Please Like/Follow