Your Weekly Woodcreek Newsletter
WMS Extended Day Academy
Hello parents, beginning Monday, April 4th - May 12th we will have our extended day academies for students that did not pass the 1st semester and the 3rd nine-week. Students have been provided a letter and schedule that shows them where to report to the core academies. Our Instructional Coaches have met with the students and emailed parents to which this pertains. Please assist them with attending the mandatory tutorials for a grade-level promotion opportunity.
Students must attend the 6 assigned sessions for credit. No transportation will be provided. Please be present to pick up your child or have arrangements for pickup upon dismissal. Thanks in advance for your help with getting your child to the assigned sessions.
WMS Core Class & Assessment Updates
- 6th: This week we’re starting our War Project. We’ll take a look at conflicts around the world and the impacts that were left behind. We will take a look at the influences that create conflict. This will be a test grade project in groups. It will be done in class, but group members can collaborate outside of class. The project will be completed electronically. It is due Thursday April 12.
- 7th: Texas History students will continue their unit on the Civil War and Reconstruction. The focus of this unit will be on the role Texans played in the war, and on the four major battles that happened in, or near, Texas. The test is tentatively scheduled for Friday, 4/29.
- 8th: This week, we began our unit over the Civil War. We examined the various causes of the Civil War and began working on our Civil War Booklet. For this unit, students will be completing three quizzes that will average together for a summative score for the Civil War unit. Our first quiz will be this Friday (April 8) over the Causes of the Civil War. Our quiz over the events of the Civil War will be on Thursday, April 14. (Reminder: Our LAST Geography Test will take place on Friday, April 22).
- 6th: This week students will take their EOY Renaissance test on Monday and Tuesday. Students will work in work stations to spiral review the nonfiction genre and skills such as Greek and Latin roots, making inferences, structures, author’s purpose and evaluating details. There will be no class on Friday.
- 7th: This week, students will continue their SSR and reading responses. They will take their EOY Renaissance test on Monday and Tuesday. The students will continue with book clubs and focus on analyzing the setting, character, and tone.
- 8th: This week in RELA students will continue their daily SSR and reading responses. Students will review the poetry genre to ensure an understanding of types of poetry, figurative language, author’s purpose, and the life cycle of stars.
Science: Extended Day Academy for 6th-8th grade Science is every Thursday April 7-May 12.
- 8th grade advance Science extended academy is every Tuesday April 5th - May 10th. Please see flyer at every Science teacher's door for location.
- 6th: 6th Grade science is learning all about living organisms! Next Wednesday, April 13, students will test over cells and taxonomy.
7th Grade science is going to take an in depth look into weathering, erosion and deposition.
- 8th: In science we are continuing our collaboration with our RELA team to explore our Universe. Monday we will travel through the Galaxy and learn about Galaxy structures through our very own "planetarium". We will test over this unit on April 13.. We are recommending a really awesome and FREE App called SkyView Lite. With this app you are able to see planets, constellations, satellites, and of course the moon. Please see the science teacher tutorial schedule and know that you can attend any of these sessions regardless of the teacher.
Please see the science teacher tutorial schedule and know that you can attend any of these sessions regardless of the teacher.
Math: Extended Day Academy for Math is every Monday April 4-May 9.
- 6th: Students will start learning about how to represent and analyze data with Dot Plots and Stem-and-Leaf plots. Extended Day Academy location is Room T14.
- 7th: On Level students will take their Data Analysis Assessment on Monday April 11 then begin the Personal Financial Literacy unit. Advanced students will continue with their PFL project about post-secondary education and careers. Extended Day Academy location is Room 306.
- 8th: Students learn about the cost of post-secondary education and finish the PFL unit with an assessment on Thursday April 14. Extended Day Academy location is Room 211.
- Algebra I: Students will finish their Solving Quadratics unit and take their assessment on Thursday April 14. Credit Recovery Academy location is Room 211.
WMS Library/Media Center
Please return any and all overdue library books! Fines for lost or damaged books should be paid through our online payment system as soon as possible.
Monday, April 11th, we will have an end of the year party for ALL Battle of the Books members during lunches and advisory periods. Stay tuned to the Schoology group and the announcements for more information.
All community members are invited to attend the Humble ISD Battle of the Books on April 9th, 2022 at Atascocita Middle School from 8-4 pm (Elementary battles begin at 8 am, Middle School battles begin at 1 pm). There will be a district book fair with an author visit and food trucks on site so please come and enjoy the day with us!
The next HACK club meeting will be Monday, April 11th from 4-4:45 pm in the Library.
WMS PTO - 8th Grade Prom
UIL Activities, Rosebuds, AVID, STUCO, & Athletics
April 21 - Solo and Ensemble Contest for the UIL Groups after school.
Anybody can join the orchestra next year! If you are in 6th or 7th grade and interested please email us so we can have you join us!
If you know anybody in 5th grade that should be or are planning to be in orchestra tell them to visit the following link - https://forms.gle/cBKQc33CJrHssSsL9
Drama Club meeting on Tuesday, April 5 @ 7:55 am.
Students in all theater classes should have paid their class fees by now. If students have NOT paid their class fee, the fee may be paid at the following link: https://humbleisd.revtrak.net/Middle-Schools/Woodcreek-Middle-School/wms-theater-arts/#/v/wms-theater-class-fee-spring-2022
You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown! Rehearsal Schedule for next week is below:
SPRING SHOW SEASON
This year’s Lionettes Dance Team members are on a Spring Show dance tour! The Lionettes have been invited to perform at Creekwood CDT’s, Riverwood LDT’s, and SCHS Starlettes’ Spring Shows.
April 4, 2022 - CDT Spring Show 7pm at KHS
April 14, 2022 - LDT Spring Show 7pm at KHS
May 6 and 7, 2022 - Starlettes Spring Show at SCHS PAC
2022-2023 WMS Lionettes Dance Team
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NEW 2022-2023 WMS LIONETTES DANCE TEAM!
The new Lionettes auditioned on March 31, 2022. Their new season will begin in May 2022!
We are excited to announce the following new team members:
Congratulations to All of our Performing Bands for a GREAT UIL Concert and Sight Reading Contest March 30&31.
Concert Band Excellent on Stage and Superior in Sight Reading
Symphonic Band Superior on Stage and Sight Reading earning them a Sweepstakes Award
Honors Band Superior on Stage and Sight Reading earning them a Sweepstakes Award.
Mark your Calendars:
Tuesday and Wednesday April 12 & 13
Incoming 6th grader Instrument Selection
Please share with Parents of current 5th Graders who are interested in band
Thursday, April 21 7:00 PM SummerCreek Performing Arts Center SCHS
Percussion Concert Grades 6-8
Friday, April 29th
Honors Band and Full Orchestra Contest Manvel HS
Wednesday May 18th
Spring Concert Beginners and Symphonic 6:00 HOnors and Concert 7:30 WMS GYM
Monday May 23
7th & 8th Grade Six Flags Trip
Wednesday May 25
Beginner Big River Water Park
End of Year Field Trips
We wanted to let you know that we are going to celebrate our scholars this year with a field trip to a water park at the end of the year. This field trip is specifically to encourage students to meet our school wide expectations for the remainder of the school year.
All students are currently eligible to attend the field trip as long as they meet the following requirements between Monday, February 21, 2022 and Friday, May 20, 2022.
Attendance - Students may not have more than 5 absences for any class between 2/21/22-5/20/22. Covid related absences will not count against the student, but will require a self report form completed and proper documentation turned into the attendance office.
Tardies - Tardies will be reset on March 21, 2022 for the 4th nine weeks. After the reset, students may not have more than 7 total tardies for the 4th nine weeks, between 3/21/22-5/20/22.
ID Badge - Students need a hard plastic ID badge. A student that needs more than 10 temporary ID badges between Monday 2/21/22-5/20/22 will not be able to attend the field trip. Students will also need a hard plastic ID badge on the day of the field trip in order to attend the field trip.
Behavior - Students must meet behavior expectations. Any student assigned one or more of the following disciplinary actions will not be allowed to to attend the field trip:
2 or more after school detentions
In School Suspension
Out of School Suspension
District Alternative Education Placement
Field Trip Payment - At this time the payment information is not available, but we will send out the information after the students vote on the water park they would like to attend. Payments must be made online in RevTrak, by the deadline that is posted. No late payments will be accepted. No in person payments will be accepted. If you pay for your student to attend the field trip and then they become ineligible because they do not meet the expectations, we will not be able to refund the money because of the reservation made with the water park and you will lose your money.
Personalized Learning Department
Verification Period #1 is coming soon! We will be posting next year course requests the week of April 18th. Mark your calendars. Students will be able to verify their campus for next year and review course selections and request changes.
Social Media and Gaming are a great way to connect with others, make friends, share memories and get restaurant recommendations. But how much is too much? How can we connect online and still connect IRL (in real life)? Join us as we discuss how to balance social media and gaming.
Course Selection Resources located here: 2022-2022 Course Selection Resources
Please check out our Quarterly Newsletter for more in depth information about course selection and upcoming events from the counseling department.
Ms. Watkins (6th Grade for 21/22)
Mrs. Cavazos (8th Grade for 21/22)
Mrs. Simon (7th Grade 21/22)
Mrs. Reyna (Lead Counselor)
Assessment and Testing
2021-2022 WMS STAAR Test Dates
(Primary Administration Mode is Indicated with a *)
***Most Students will be testing online this year at WMS.***
7th Grade Advanced Math Students will be taking the 8th Grade Math Test.
EOC Algebra I Paper and Online*- May 3, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 4, 2022)
STAAR Science 8th Grade Paper and Online*- May 5, 2022 (Make-up Date: Paper- May 13, 2022; Online*- May 19, 2022)
STAAR Social Studies 8th Grade Paper and Online*- May 6, 2022 (Make-up Date: Paper- May 13, 2022; Online*- May 19, 2022)
STAAR Math 6th Grade Paper Only- May 10, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 13, 2022)
STAAR Math 6th Grade Online* Only- May 17, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 19, 2022)
STAAR Math 7th Grade Paper Only- May 10, 2021 (Make-up Date: May 13, 2022)
STAAR Math 7th Grade Online* Only- May 12, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 19, 2022)
***7th Grade Advanced Math Students will be taking the 8th Grade Math Test.
STAAR Math 8th Grade Paper and Online*- May 10, 2022 (Make-up Date: Paper and Online*- May 13, 2022)
STAAR Reading 6th Grade Paper Only- May 11, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 13, 2022)
STAAR Reading 6th Grade Online* Only- May 18, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 20, 2022)
STAAR Reading 7th Grade Paper Only- May 11, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 13, 2022)
STAAR Reading 7th Grade Online* Only- May 13, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 19, 2022)
STAAR Reading 8th Grade Paper and Online*- May 11, 2022 (Make-up Date: May 13, 2022)
WMS Campus Procedure Reminders
Woodcreek's Big 3:
Be on Time.
Wear Your ID.
Put Your Phone Away.
Morning Wandering & Tardy Consequences
- Assigned Lunch D-Hall
- Assigned After School D-Hall
- Assigned After School Extended D-Hall
- Assigned After School Extended D-Hall...Also, other consequences may be assigned by the grade level assistant principal.
Below are the consequences that will be assigned for tardies:
- 1st & 2nd Tardy: Warnings
- 3rd & 4th Tardy: Parent Phone Call & After-School Detention
- 5th & 6th Tardy: Parent Conference & Thursday Class Assigned
- 7th+ Tardy: ISS Assigned and Intervention Planned w/Parents
**All tardies will be cleared at the conclusion of each 9-week grading period**
WMS CELL PHONE POLICY
Cell phones must not be visible during school hours unless they are being used in the classroom for instructional purposes, as determined by the teacher.
- 1st Offense: Parent will be contacted & the phone will be returned to the student at the end of the day.
- 2nd Offense: Parent will be contacted & the phone will ONLY be returned to the parent.
- 3rd Offense: Parent will be contacted, the phone will ONLY be returned to a parent/guardian, & ISS will be assigned to the student.
- 4th Offense: Parent will be contacted, cell phone will be checked-in daily & returned to the student at the end of the school day.