Seven Hills Elementary News 9-20-16
A Home-School Connection
Save the Date:
- Big Kahuna Fundraiser 9/15 - 9/29
Reflections Club (NEW THIS YEAR):
- Thursdays beginning September 22. Bring your ideas,pencil, and paper. Let's get creative! Want to know more about Reflections? Watch this short video, and prepare to be inspired: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8dpI20guJg
- Million Word Challenge Kick-Off Program..."Reading Under the Big Top...an Imagination Circus": Friday, September 23
- PTA Family Movie Night and WatchD.O.G.S. Meeting: Friday, September 23 at 7:30 pm
Running Club (NEW THIS YEAR):
- Running club starts on 9/27. (Don't forget to send in your shirt money and order form.)
- Book Fair: September 26 - 30
- PTA Teacher Luncheon: Wednesday, September 28 (5th grade hosts the first teacher luncheon. If you are a 5th grade parent, please sign up to help provide a wonderful lunch for our fabulous staff!) http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050b4aaeaf2ea31-5thgrade
- Leadership Rally: Friday, September 30 during Leadership Block
- 50's Day and Sock Hop: Friday, September 30 during specials
- End of the First Six Weeks: Friday, September 30
- Leadership Assembly and College Colors Day: Friday, October 7
Big Kahuna Fundraiser is September 15 - 29!
Were you aware that campus activities, resources, and programs are funded using a variety of financial resources? These resources include the SHES PTA, NISD Education Foundation, annual campus operating budget, and the campus activity budget. You may be interested to know what types of things each funding source might support and how they receive monies.
- SHES PTA: The PTA partners with the campus to support campus initiatives and programs, as well as capital improvements. For example, the PTA brings programs like visiting authors to the school for students. In order to provide this incredible amount of support, the PTA fundraises annually through a variety of events, the largest of which is the Carnival.
- NISD Education Foundation: Each year the Education Foundation offers opportunities for campuses and staff to write grants for special initiatives and professional learning. We will continue to write grants to support campus initiatives and professional learning aligned with the district mission and vision.
- SHES Operating Budget: Funds for this budget are distributed by the district and based upon data such as student enrollment, average daily attendance, and special programs. This budget is used to provide the professional learning opportunities and the teacher/student materials, resources, and supplies necessary to support student instructional programs.
- SHES Activity Budget: The campus activity fund is primarily used for student incentives, student activities, guest speakers and/or programs, and resources/materials for classrooms and instruction. Specifically, the campus activity account supports Million Word Challenge incentives each year. This budget is fully funded through fundraising efforts, separate from PTA fundraisers.
Each year, we host a campus fundraising event to add funds to the campus activity account in order to continue to support student activities and continuous improvement. We are excited to announce that on Thursday, September 15, 2016, students participated in a pep rally to kick – off this year’s fundraising event with Big Kahuna! You may be familiar with the Big Kahuna fundraising program, featuring cookie dough, wrapping paper sales, and more. There are so many great items to choose from!
Last year, we exceeded our fundraising goal, raising approximately $7500. Our campus fundraising goal this year is $9,000. The money raised will support The Leader in Me initiative, Million Word Challenge incentives, and other campus programs such as Dance Team, Tech Club, etc. We appreciate your support of this fundraising effort, as well as your support of our campus programs and activities! To show our appreciation, students will be individually recognized for their fundraising efforts through a variety of prizes, including fun NEW collectibles and a party bus trip to CiCi’s Pizza! In addition to the individual prizes, classroom incentives will also be awarded! The classroom incentives will be unique and developed by the students in the class.
This year, Big Kahuna is offering a “Family Plan” for incentives! For families with more than one student attending SHES, if one child sells 15 items, each additional child needs to sell a combined total of 5 items to earn the party bus incentive! For example, a family with 2 or more students would sell 20 items for all students to go on the party bus.
School Announcements & Reminders:
Thank you so much for participating in our Change for Classrooms event last week. Thanks to your generosity over $1200 was raised. Classroom teachers will use the funds raised to purchase books for their classrooms libraries.
- Parent Conference Nights are scheduled for Tuesday, October 4 and Thursday, October 13. Teachers will contact parents to schedule conference dates and times. If you are unable to attend a conference on one of the designated conference dates, your child's teacher will work with you to schedule an alternate date and time.
- The safety and security of students, staff, and visitors is a priority. All visitors must sign-in with the front office using the Raptor system to receive a visitor badge. Any visitor without a badge will be redirected to the front office.
- Student Absences: Please contact the school office if your child will be absent from school. This helps us verify our overall attendance for the day and properly account for all students. When your child returns to school after an absence, please be sure to send a note explaining the reason for the absence.
- Volunteer Background Check: Volunteers are an important part of student achievement and school success! Last year, Seven Hills Elementary was named the NISD Partners in Education Campus of the Year for logging the most volunteer hours! Our goal is to keep that distinction at Seven Hills and log more than 9,000 hours. We need your help! All volunteers must complete the background check each year. Please take a minute to complete this before the first day of school. Volunteer Background Check: http://www.nisdtx.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=232201&pageId=1139074
- Lunches: for more information about school lunches, online payment, and lunch menus: http://www.nisdtx.org/cms/one.aspx?portalId=232201&pageId=268259
A Message From the PTA:
- It's not too late to join the PTA! The cost for membership is $7, and you can now join online at http://www.joinpta.org (search "Northwest ISD" and "Seven Hills"). Order forms are also available at the school. The class competition for pizza and popsicle parties ends on October 28.
- The PTA membership prize drawings have been complete, and congratulations to:
Ms. Goosey: Gift Card Frame
Mike Smith: Box Top Basket
The following people won Taco Casa Calendars: Mrs. Collinsworth, Mrs. Gill, Eric Fleischer, Cheryl Johnson, Jeanette Dendy, Jessica Rodriguez, Justin Smith, Melanie Kitchens, Sherri Scott, Tracey Hollingsworth, Wilma Adams, Amanda Carter-Leeper
School Store: http://schoolstore.net/cgi/SchoolResult?mode=init Someone has the $100 golden ticket. Who will it be? Log on and register for school store to find out.
- Please don't forget to turn in your Boxtops! There is a box outside the front office and in the gym.
- Make sure you are logging your volunteer hours....Yes, even the work completed at home counts! Our goal is to keep the NISD Partners in Education Campus of the Year award at Seven Hills.
Eaton High School Forthcoming Week:
Forthcoming Week Is September 26 - 29.
Forthcoming Week is quickly approaching. There will be a lot of activity at Eaton during the week. A link to the flyer for information about the Parade and the Block Party are below.
PTSA has booked the In & Out Burger truck to be that the Block Party! Tickets are $5 and include a burger, chips, and a drink. Tickets must be pre-purchased prior to Sept. 21. Please follow the link to sign up for your meal. Tickets can be paid for at EHS in the front office during regular office hours. Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm.