Buena Vista ISD: Lesson Planning
ESC 18: District Support Day Round 1, 10/15
TEA: All things STAAR and EOC
NEW update from TEA for 2016 4 and 7 STAAR Writing Test: here
- Depth of Knowledge Chart (click here)
- Bloom's Planning Guide Chart (click here)
- Padagogy Wheel: technology integration (click here)
Looking for Tech Extensions?
Check out High Tech Verbs to find extensions, tools, and apps to correspond with your planned objectives: hightechverbs.wikispaces.com
What IS a formative assessment?
“A tool that teachers use to measure student grasp of specific topics and skills they are teaching…(and) to identify specific student misconceptions and mistakes while the material is being taught.” --Stuart Kahl, 2005, page 38
The marriage of learning progressions and high-quality formative assessment strategies will answer the following key questions to guide instructor feedback:
(Hattie & Timperley, The Power of Feedback, p.81, 2007)
Where am I going (what are the goals)?
How am I going (what progress is being made toward the goal)?
Where do I go next (what activities need to be undertaken to make progress)?
It's all about FEEDBACK:
Feedback should be timely and focus on the most important learning goals.
Comments rather than grades yield a higher quality of work and understanding.
Feedback should cause thinking.
Feedback should be more work for the recipient than the donor.
Students should have class time to revise work before re-submission.
Feedback should be specific and task oriented.
Engage your students with an interactive and competitive review!
- Use Kahoot! to review and interact with your students and gamify your classroom
- Ideas: review concepts, vocabulary, grammar, elements of a STAAR rubric, classroom rules, multiple choice questions
- Enrich: have students create their own Kahoots! to play as a class
- Let's play! Go to kahoot.it
- Ready to create your own for free? getkahoot.com
TEKS Resource System
YAG (Year at a Glance)
IFD (Instructional Focus Document)
VAD (Vertical Alignment Document)
- Performance Assessments
SAVE THE DATE! FACE TO FACE RDI: ROUND 2
Additional Buena Vista ISD Campus Support Dates:
- Wednesday, 12/2
- Wednesday, 3/2