Buckalew Buzz 20-21 School Year
May 10, 2021
Connect With Us!
"Today I choose to BE Kind, Work Hard, and Do My BEst!"
Our school hours are officially 8:00-3:10. Students may arrive as early as 7:30 and will go to their homeroom beginning at that time.
*disclaimer that items published in this newsletter may change due the COVID-19 pandemic*
From Mrs. Price
Thank you for making our TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK so memorable and special! Thank you PTO for spoiling us as a staff! We are so very blessed by each and every one of you.
Our 3rd and 4th graders will be taking our state STAAR testing on Tuesday and Wednesday this week and we know they will do great!
Today, we announced our AMBASSADORS for the 20-21 school year. Please watch the video personally recorded by our school board and Dr. Null. Congratulations to Bei Bei Wu, Mr. Yuncker, and Mrs. Segel!!
Have a GREAT week,
5/10- NEW Student Enrollment for 2021-2022 Now Open
5/10-14- Closed Campus / Testing
5/11- 3rd & 4th STAAR Math
5/12- 3rd & 4th STAAR Reading
5/26- 4th Grade Clap Out 9:45 (details to coming to 4th grade parents)
5/26- Early Release 12:10
5/26- Last Day of School
6/13- Last day to order PTO school supplies (see below)
2021-2022 School Board-Approved School Calendar
Congratulations to Buckalew's 20-21 Ambassadors:
Paraprofessional: Chris Yuncker
Teacher: Mary Segel
Please watch the video below to hear why they are Buckalew's Ambassadors:
Picture Perfect Friday Video Pictures
Order Your 21-22 School Supplies!
May 7th is the last day to check out books for kinder, 1st and 2nd grade.
May 11th is the last day to check out books for 3rd and 4th grade.
All library books are due Monday May 17th. If you cannot find your library book, we do ask you pay to replace the book.
This district is working on a summer reading program and details to follow soon!
Time to Order your Buckalew Group Pictures!
Receptionist Auction Winner!
Hi Buckalew Bears! I'm Mrs. Points, your school counselor. With each Buzz, I will have resources to support the social and emotional learning of our students. If your family has a specific need you would like to contact me about, please don't hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May's Character Trait Responsibility
Everyone wants their child to grow up to be a responsible adult, but how do you teach responsibility? Dr. Karen Ruskin, author of The 9 Key Techniques for Raising Respectful Children Who Make Responsible Choices, explains that when it comes to teaching responsibility parents should:
- Start young
- Let children help in the home
- Show kids the way to complete age-appropriate tasks
- Model responsibility
- Give honest praise
- Manage your expectations and refrain from criticism
- Avoid rewards unless a task goes above and beyond
- Provide structure and routine
- Allow your child to accept negative consequences
Lost and Found
**A friendly reminder to please label all of your child's belongings with first name and last initial or last name.
**Please see close up photos on the Buckalew Elementary Parents Facebook page...if something belongs to your family, please email email@example.com to let me know your child's name and homeroom, so we can get the item back to your child!
(please note: all unclaimed items will be donated at the end of the school year)
Thanks so much,
CISD is Now Hiring Bus Drivers 936-709-5986
Summer Meals are Free For Students This Coming June
- Free summer curbside meals for anyone 18 and under will be distributed Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
o June 1- June 29 at the following sites:
- York Junior High
Knox Junior High
Moorhead Junior High
Peet Junior High
· Meals are free to ALL children, not just those on free and reduced lunch
2021/2022 Mitchell PTO
Attention: Incoming 5th Grade Families at Mitchell Intermediate
Greetings from the Mitchell PTO!
The Mitchell PTO Nominating Committee is currently looking for volunteers to fill the following positions for the 2021/2022 school year.
Yearbook Advisor 5th Grade Co-Chair: need 2
Yearbook Advisor 6th Grade Co-Chair: need 2
If you are interested in joining us in one of these positions or have any questions, please contact: Joanna Altimas: firstname.lastname@example.org
********Easy Ways to Donate Money to Buckalew PTO********
Kroger Community Rewards
Kroger Community Rewards makes fund-raising easy by donating to Buckalew based on the shopping you do everyday. Once you are registered, every time you shop at Kroger you will be earning money for Buckalew! Just search for Buckalew Elementary on your digital account select and save!
Box Tops for Education
The traditional clipping of Box Tops is going away but the Box Tops app makes it so easy to just scan your receipt after you shop. Box Tops are worth $.10 each and can add up fast! Twice a year, our school receives a check to help pay for whatever we need. There are also times to earn Bonus Box Tops and the App will send you these notifications. Participating companies include General Mills, Green Giant, Pillsbury, Ziploc, Hefty, Juicy Juice, Annie’s and many more.
Remember to scan your receipt within 14 days of purchase or it will expire.
Select Buckalew as your charity!
This is a simple & automatic way for you to support Buckalew every time you shop. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price. On your first visit to AmazonSmile, you need to select a charitable organization & your selection will be saved for future purchases. Just remember to always login under smile.amazon.com.
The purpose of the PTO is to: (a) promote the welfare of children at Buckalew; (b) to foster cooperation between parents and teachers in the education of children at Buckalew; (c) to unite school and community efforts in securing for all children the best education; (d) to engage in fundraising activities for the educational and recreational benefit of Buckalew, its children, teachers, and staff as determined by the PTO and in accordance with the PTO by-laws.
President- Paige Perry
VP Fundraising- Amy Kemp
VP Parent Involvement- Heather Lozinak
VP Communications- Jackie Berry
Treasurer- Elizabeth Kutka
Secretary- Janelle Ray
Parliamentarian- Julie Naughton
Buckalew Elementary PTO Membership 2020-2021
We Cannot Do It Without Your Support!
The Buckalew PTO membership is a family membership (1 per family) and costs $25.
Your membership will include one copy of the student directory and 1 Buckalew Elementary Car Decal.
To purchase your membership online:
1. Go to www.buckalewspiritstore.com
2. Click on Buckalew PTO Membership to add to cart
Buckalew Elementary PTO
Ongoing Spirit event at Locker Room Haircuts! - All Year!
Ongoing spirit event at Locker Room Haircuts! $14 Rookie hair cut for the kids and Buckalew gets $2 back! Through end of the year!
Locker Room Haircuts is located in the back here by Target. It’s right next to Brothers Pizza and the old Golds Gym area. You can check in online and it makes it super fast!
Check them out and support our school!
Can My Child Go To School Today?
If your child is Positive or Identified as a Close Contact what do you do?
You will then be contacted and informed of how your child will continue remotely. Each grade level and student-situation is different, and is handled on a case-by-case basis.
CISD Health and Safety Protocols
Conroe ISD is reviewing the newly released guidance from the Texas Education Agency which supports our current safety practices. District administration will be meeting with local health authorities and advisory groups this week to discuss the District’s health and safety protocols for the remainder of the year. All current safety protocols will remain in effect until further notice. Conroe ISD is committed to providing the safest learning environment for its students and staff and keeping schools open.
Determining Regular or Close Contact at School
- Individual who has had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 up to 48 hrs prior to symptom onset.
- Individual who has had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 within 2 days prior to the person developing symptoms and/or testing positive.
- Individual who provided care at home to someone who is sick with COVID-19.
- Individual who had direct physical contact with someone who has COVID-19 including touched, hugged, or kissed them, shared eating or drinking utensils, or were sneezed or coughed on by the sick person while they had symptoms or within 2 days of the sick person developing symptoms and/or testing positive.
- The identified individuals may be required to quarantine at home for 14 days from the date of last contact with the positive person.
- The current pattern is those who do not wear a mask consistently during class are being quarantined.
- Face Shields alone are NOT CONSIDERED a mask or cloth face covering.
Parents just a reminder to send all transportation changes to school with your child in their backpack.
For emergencies only, e-mail Buckalewtransportation@Conroeisd.net
PRIOR TO 2 PM and make sure you get a confirmation that your change was received.
Please note weather is not considered an emergency.
Classroom teachers do not always check emails throughout the day or may even be absent and that request would not be received in time. If you have sent a note with your child it is not necessary to e-mail the note to the front office. Thank you.
2019-2020 Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR)
The accountability reports can be accessed using the following steps:
From Buckalew's website:
· Go to "Our School/Campus"
· Click “View School Profile"
· Select “Accountability Reports”
· Click “2019-2020”
· Select "Texas Academic Performance Report "
Parent Access Login
To access your child’s information online you must register for an account.
Please go to the following link and follow the directions below:
Click the “Student/Parent” tab
Click on “Parent Access Center”
Stay in touch with CISD by downloading our new mobile app!
Download the app on your mobile device today and select ‘yes’ to receive push notifications with the latest news and updates from the District.
- Push Notifications - Select ‘yes’ when you download the app to receive the latest push notifications from the District.
- Calendar Events - Add events to the calendar on your personal mobile device directly from the calendar section on the app.
- News - Check out the latest District-wide and school news all in one place!
20-21 Calendar for your planning purposes
Click below for FAQ's
Please Visit the Roadmap to Reopening as Updates are provided regularly
Give the Gift of a TAE (Teacher Achieving Excellence)
Log Into "Parent Access" by clicking:
and click on the "Teachers/Staff Excellence" Tab.
Feel free to type your own message and send any staff a positive message!
From our Police Department:
A few friendly reminders in regards to school zone safety and car rider drop off safety:
- Please remember to remind your children NOT to cross until the crossing guards are at their posts in the morning. The building is not open until 7:30.
- Please remember if you are in your car, to wait for the crossing guards not only to cross the children, but for the crossing guards themselves to make it back to the sidewalk.
- Please remember to stay off your cell phones when driving in school zones.
- Please remember their are NO DOGS allowed on school property. This is for your personal liability and the safety of all of our students.
- Please remember there are no U-Turns in front of the school.
- Lakeside Park- if you are dropping your kids off or picking them up from Lakeside Park please park your vehicle to do so. It becomes a safety issue to just drive up and let your kids out or have them get in without parking. Please use our car line in the back of Buckalew if you want just drop off your child.