3L Weekly News
Week Ending May 13, 2016
We're done PARCC and the students DID AN AMAZING JOB!
Field Trip to the Arden Theatre
- Eric Huebl
- Emmie Goldenbaum or Harry Cook
- Jennifer McHugh-Barker
We will be going to the Arden the morning of Tuesday, May 17th.
This week in...
Thank you to Dayne's grandma, GranMary for reading to us this week!
- We spent time reading fairy tales to prepare for our upcoming writing unit.
- Here are a few of the titles that we enjoyed: Prince Cinders, Cinderella, Cindy Ellen, Jack and the Bean Stock, Kate and the Bean Stock, Snow White, The Egyptian Cinderella, Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella.
- Students read various fairy tales including adaptations of the same story.
- I was so proud of the students for discussing the similarities and differences!
- We also enjoyed a Reading Retreat to celebrate the end of PARCC. :-)
We spent time reviewing lattice multiplication.
We completed word problems involving positive and negative numbers.
The students did an AMAZING job connecting positive and negative numbers to real life examples.
We completed a station review for Unit 9.
We will have a Unit 9 test on Tuesday, May 17th.
- We spent time reviewing our writing and making sure our facts were accurate.
- We worked on writing conclusions.
- We began publishing our writing using the SmartNotebook app on the iPads.
- We also reviewed the qualities of good narrative writing.
- Please help your child brainstorm a "small moment or seed idea" they would like to complete a narrative writing piece on next week.
- We will pick up with Word Study on Wednesday, May 17th.
- We spent time weaving this week. The students LOVE it!
- We also reviewed cardinal and intermediate directions.
- We read about some of the famous explorers who discovered different parts of the world.
- We reviewed more letters and how they are towed.
Habit of the Month: Think Win-Win
I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. I make deposits in others’ Emotional Bank Accounts. When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.
I encourage parents to submit their children for nominations (you can email it right to me)! I'd love to celebrate what a child does outside of the classroom as much as we celebrate what they do in school. :-)
Please remember to have your child submit his/her poem for Poet of the Week prior to the presentation for approval.
- Many students were so interested about trees after reading A Tree is Growing, that I looked for a place where students could see beautiful, gigantic trees outside of Haddonfield. I thought Longwood Gardens would be a perfect place. I've attached a link to a tree tour they offer.
- Longwood Gardens:https://plantexplorer.longwoodgardens.org/weboi/oecgi2.exe/INET_ECM_DispTour?TOURCODE=CHAMPIONS
Strings Make Up Work: Please keep in mind that your child will be missing instructional time when he or she attends strings. Any work that he or she miss will be expected to be made up.
Birthdays: If your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday, please contact me so we can set up a date to celebrate! See my eBoard for more details.
Check This Out!
**My eBoard has loads of resources on it under the Math Tab. Be sure to check it out!
1.Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- The link can be found on my eBoard under the PARCC/Teach tab.
Student Council Activities
Central Events: May and June
Central Events: May
Tuesday, May 24
- 7:30am Central School Band Dress Rehearsal
- 8:15am Central School Orchestra Dress Rehearsal
- 7:00pm Central School Spring Concert
Wednesday, May 25
- 8:00am 4th Grade Science Testing
- 3:00pm Scholastic BOGO Sale
Monday, May 30
- Memorial Day
- 8:00am School Closed
Central Events: June
Wednesday, June 1
- 8:00am Make up 4th Grade Science Testing
Friday, June 3
- 8:00am Central School Kindergarten End of the Year Program
- 6:00pm Spring Social
Monday, June 6
- 8:00am Spirit Week
Tuesday, June 7
- Spirit Week
Wednesday, June 8
- Spirit Week
- 6:00pm PTA Information Night
Thursday, June 9
- Spirit Week
- 6:00pm 5th Grade Remembrance Night
Friday, June 10
- 9:00am Spirit Week
- 8:00am Spirit Day
- 9:00am Central School Awards Assembly
- SHELEBRATION in your child's classroom! @ 2:00
Wednesday, June 15
- 8:40am Central School Field Day
- 1:00pm 5th Grade Swim Party
Thursday, June 16
- 1:00pm 5th Grade Swim Party (Rain Date)
Friday, June 17
- 3:30pm Final Report Cards Available Online Grades PK-5
Sunday, June 19
- Father's Day
Specials This Week
Monday is a Day 6:
Tuesday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Gym
Wednesday is a Day 2:
Thursday is a Day 3:
- Health and Gym
Friday is a Day 4:
Guest Read Aloud Schedule
- Jennifer Cittadini Wednesday, October 14 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Beth Wassall Wednesday, October 21 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Nicole Ventrella Tuesday, October 27 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Emmie Goldenbaum-Cook Thursday, November 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Mia Levine or Eric Huebl: Friday, November 20 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Barker Monday, November 23 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Stefanie Kist: Wednesday, December 2 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dana Mower: Monday, December 7 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jeff Tucker Tuesday, January 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Susan Gordon: Tuesday, January 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Grega : Friday, January 22 @ 2:40
- Robin Landis: Friday, February 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dori Shields: Monday, February 22 @2:40 (completed)
- Barbara Cavacini: Thursday, February 25 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Heather Tucker: Friday, March 4 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Debbie Wolschina: Friday, March 11 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Shannon Simkus: Tuesday, March 29 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Sara Blackburn: Tuesday, April 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Sharon Dominco: Wednesday, April 13 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Mary Beth Smith: Tuesday,May 10 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Carol Cox: Friday, June 10 @ 2:40
Star of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Natalie Sept. 28-Oct.2 (completed)
2. Diego October 5-9 (completed)
3. Katie October 12-16 (completed)
4. Isaiah October 26-30 (completed)
5. Blair November 9-13 (completed)
6. Caden November 16-20 (completed)
7. Nathan November 30-Dec. 4 (completed)
8. Eliza January 4-8 (completed)
9. Caroline January 11-15 (completed)
10. Bryson January 25-29 (completed)
11. Vienna February 1-5 (completed)
12. Dayne February 22-26 (completed)
13. Libby February 29-Mar.4 (completed)
14. Derrick March 7-11 (completed)
15. Lindsey March 14-18 (completed)
16. Diana March 29- April 1 (completed)
17. Molly April 4-8 (completed)
18. Liam April 11-15 (completed)
19. Elena April 25-29 (completed)
20. William May 2-6 (completed)
21. Joey May 16-20
22. Christopher June 6-10
Poet of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Libby Friday, October 2 (completed)
2. Liam Friday, October 9 (completed)
3. Diana Friday, October 16 (completed)
4. Vienna Friday, October 30 (completed)
5. Lindsey Friday, November 13 (completed)
6. Derrick Friday, November 20
7. Molly Friday, December 4 (completed)
8. Elena Friday, December 11 (completed)
9. Natalie Friday, January 8 (completed)
10. Joey Friday, January 15 (completed)
11. William Friday, January 29 (completed)
12. Isaiah Friday, February 12 (completed)
13. Katie Friday, February 19 (completed)
14. Christopher Friday, February 26 (completed)
15. Blair Friday, March 4 (completed)
16. Caden Friday, April 1 (completed)
17. Diego Friday, April 8 (completed)
18. Nathan Friday, April 15 (completed)
19. Eliza Friday, May 6 (completed)
20. Caroline Friday, May 13 (completed)
21. Bryson Friday, May 27
22. Dayne Friday, June 10