Oil For Our Generation

Why we should drill for oil in Alaska

We use oil in many different ways.

In America, oil is used for so much more than vehicles. Listed here are just a few examples of how we use this fossil fuel in our everyday lives:
  • clothing and shoes
  • office supplies
  • computers
  • sports equipment
  • medication and first aid cream
  • hearing aids and artificial limbs
  • beauty products
  • kitchen utensils
  • pipes, upholstery and other construction materials

The economic factors would help not only our generation, but our children's and grandchildren's as well.

  • More than 75% Alaskans support oil drilling.
  • Between 250,000 and 735,000 jobs could be created
  • The U.S. Department of Interior estimates that they could recover up to 16 billion gallons of oil with this rig.
  • Although the actual drilling process would not start until 2017 due to permits and preparation, reduction in gas prices would start in 2030. The drilling in that started in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, 30 years ago, is now one of our main sources of oil today. We would be setting up an oil source for our children's generation to use.

We should not be dependent on other countries for our oil

  • The US imported 60% percent of its oil in 2007!
  • If you go local, you will find that 53% of North Carolina's oil is imported from other countries.
  • Most of our imported oil comes from the Middle East, where several countries hold hostilities against the US or practice government systems that we do not agree with, such as communism and dictatorships.
  • At $135 a barrel, that represents $1.3 trillion that we wouldn't have to send to Iran, Russia, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.

How will the drilling affect the environment?

There are 17.5 million acres in the ANWR, but only 8% is being considered for development. The remaining 92% will be completely shut off from further development.
Also, the animals currently living near the arctic oil fields are living well in the environment.
According to the Mineral Management Service, out of the billions of gallons of oil transported in U.S. waters, .001% is spilled. Far more of the oil in the ocean is due to natural seeping into the sea, says the National Research Council. Almost half of the oceanic oil worldwide comes from natural processes.
In addition, advanced drilling technologies have allowed us to reduce our environmental footprint by 60% since the Prudhoe Bay drilling.

And while we wait...

While renewable energy sources are a grand idea, the development is extremely slow. It could take years for us to get wind turbines running off the ground, and even longer to get the payoff. In the meantime, we should be using what we've been using for decades: oil. It is a reliable source that our country needs.


So why should we wait to drill oil? Please contact your government now to encourage them to start oil drilling in the ANWR!

Martha Buneswell, CEO of Silver Oil Inc.

For information, contact us at silveroil@comcast.com or visit our website, silveroilinc.com