The Water Rodent
By: Justin, Evan & Hrishikesh
What does it eat?
- small shrubs and berries
- smaller organisms ( fish etc)
- dead animals (scavenger)
How will it catch/get food and water?
- eat berries off bushes and shrubs.
- drink water out of pond that are made from violent storms
- eats insects off the ground/plants near the ground
- Attack smaller organisms such as fish from the ocean.
How will it keep warm/cool?
- thick fur to keep it warm in the cold
- it also can swim in the water to keep cool
- it can shelter and hide in the bushes for warmth in the night, and as shade during daytime.
Where will it take shelter?
- Non- suffocating shrubs by the cliffs
- in the ocean
- caves in the cliffs
How will it protect/defend itself from attackers?
- sharp claws and teeth for defending itself.
- very loud and deep growl
- very quick because of the enhanced muscles
- strong jaws for biting
How will it protect/defend its young from attackers?
- sharp claws
- loud and deep growl for intimidation to potential dangers.
- Is an amphibian so it can lead its young to the other terrain to escape the attacker.
Stages of evolution
This is the original species which is a Capybara.
The Capybara has adapted a lot (Natural Selection) over almost 600 years.
The adaptations are :-
1: A special claw that shoots out 4.5 inches to penetrate and stick in the ground when threatened by the frequent violent storms that occur in this biome.
2:(Dog)Enhanced hind leg muscles that enable this species to run faster from attackers and increase its climbing abilities for the nearby cliffs.
3:(Eagle)Stronger and longer claws that are used to catch prey and defend itself. It also helps with its climbing abilities.
4:(Fish)A pair of gills on each side which allow this organism to live in the water and use as an alternative breathing source when the nose is blocked by the suffocating sap.(Although it is still not fully functional)
5: (Fish)Operculum to cover the gills from sap and other dangers.
6:Strong jaws for biting.
7:(Lion)Enlarged voice box for a louder and more menacing growl. (Used as intimation to potential dangers).
This the final species- the capybara has evolved to The water rodent (Aqua rodentia).
The changes to the adaptations or add-one are below:-
1: It can now penetrate 8 inches
4: The gills are now fully functional.
8: (Cat)Better vision and has night vision to allow it to hunt and move at night.
9: (Frog)Webbed feet for swimming and increased grip for climbing on the nearby cliffs.
Size of Animal
I want to thank these sites for allowing me to use their information, without them it wouldn't have been possible.
San Diego zoo animals mammals capybara, animals.sandiegogozoo.org/animals/capybara.
cpalms.org , dramatic food change