DIY Natural, Eco-Friendly Pampering
Skin treatments that won't cost you the Earth.
Being kind to your skin doesn't have to be exorbitant.
Here are some really easy, quick-to-make and seriously nourishing home spa recipes to pamper yourself with. The trick is to set aside some uninterrupted me-time for yourself (that could be the hardest bit about these recipes!)
Lemon Juice Hair Detangler / Conditioner
Put some bounce and shine back to your locks with this super easy hair detangler.
- Juice of half a lemon (this is enough for short cropped hair) with the bits and seeds strained out. We know from experience that you really shouldn't skip the straining!
- Warm water
- Mix equal parts lemon juice and warm water in a bowl.
- Wash hair as usual, and rinse thoroughly.
- Pour the diluted lemon juice through all sections of your hair, and your scalp will benefit too - especially if it's oily.
- Massage the lemon juice through your hair and rinse thoroughly. Your scalp or skin may tingle when it comes into contact with the lemon juice - this is normal. If you feel uncomfortable at any time just rinse it thoroughly with water.
- Dry off and enjoy your tangle-free hair!
Ground Coffee Foot and Body Scrub
The oils from ground coffee beans plus acids from soft brown sugar that's made from sugarcane will leave your skin feeling surprisingly soft and conditioned when you're done scrubbing yourself down in the shower. Be careful to rinse the walls down, you won't want ants in your shower!
- 1 tbsp used ground coffee (get them free of charge from Starbucks, or your local gourmet coffee shop)
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar (avoid white sugar as they tend to feel much too harsh on sensitive skin)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Mix everything in a clean bowl.
- Shower as usual and pat dry, leaving your skin slightly damp.
- Massage the ground coffee mixture into your skin, paying more attention to drier, rougher skin areas such as your elbows, knees and heels.
- Rinse off thoroughly. Cleaning your skin with soap again is optional.
- Enjoy flaunting your new layer of soft, conditioned skin!