Laburnum Community Connection
Family Edition - January 10, 2021
It was great having our students back last week. They were excited to return and our teachers kept them engaged with great lessons and activities.
Congratulations to Talise Tarry, 5th grade, who is the Laburnum Spelling Bee champion!!! She will go on to represent our school at the county spelling bee later this month. Way to go, Talise!
As you know there have been some updates to the HCPS Return to Learn plan. Please continue reading below for important information.
UPDATE: Return to Learn Timeline & Other Information
- January 20 - Families will be notified if their child will be getting a new teacher/change in classroom.
- January 20-21 - Teachers will be making contact with all NEW students on their class rosters.
- January 21 - Teachers will host virtual meet and greet for NEW students on roster. Links for meet and greet are forthcoming.
- January 21 & 22 - In person families must come to the school to complete required paperwork and get a family number for dismissal.
- January 22 - 1/2 day for students. Instructional hours will be 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- January 25 - In person instruction for PK - 5 begins for those families who selected this option. Both virtual and in person instruction will occur. New master schedule will go into effect.
- New instructional schedules start Jan. 25. In person and virtual students will be on the same schedule. Be on the lookout for your grade specific schedule to be shared via email.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: Schedule is 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Wednesday: Virtual for ALL students, 8:00 - 10:00. Students will be provided with Wellness Wednesday activities to be completed asynchronously.
- Bus information will be available in PowerSchool if you selected in person instruction AND indicated that you need transportation.
- Buses will continue to drop students off at the front of the school. This area will not be accessible by cars.
- Daycare vans will utilize the very front of the building on Meriwether Avenue to drop off and pick up students.
- Parent Drop-Off/Pick Up - If you selected in person instruction and will be dropping off or picking up your student, this will occur on the side of the building in the parking lot area. You MUST have your family number displayed on your dashboard and remain in your vehicle. You will not be able to pick your student up from inside of the building.
Update your contact information:
If you are planning for your student to return to our school buildings “in-person” in 2021, please take a few minutes to review your student’s contact information via the web-based version of the HCPS PowerSchool Parent Portal (not available on the PowerSchool app.) In particular, it’s important to ensure that emergency contact information is up-to-date as these individuals will be the only people authorized to pick up your child from school. For step-by-step instructions on how to update your information, use this link: How to Update Your Contact Information.
You will also find the COVID Health Form in the Parent Portal that MUST be completed prior to any student returning to the building.
**SEE ABOVE TIMELINE FOR IMPORTANT DATES RELATED TO HCPS RETURN TO LEARN**
- January 15 - Instructional Packet Distribution - 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- January 18 - School Closed - MLK Jr. Holiday
- January 21 - Virtual Game Night - See above flyer for details
- January 26 - Principal Chat & PTA General Meeting - 5:30 - 6:30 PM - OPEN TO ALL FAMILIES. Join by Video :meet.google.com/qow-oaod-pdq OR Join by Phone: Phone Numbers (US)+1 208-843-1353 PIN: 274 316 867#
- January 29 - End of Quarter 2
Student Council Association
Please use the link below to complete the application to be considered for office. The council consists of:
(1) President (open to 5th Graders)
(1) Vice-President (open to 4th and 5th Graders)
(1) Secretary (open to 4th and 5th Graders)
(1) Treasurer (open to 3rd, 4th or 5th Graders)
(1) Representative & Alternate from each class (open to K - 5th Grades)
Click this link: Student Council Association Application OR
Copy and paste this link into your browser: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSclVHfGLGstb4nuD12tBXxj31VNdr7KDLZsDc3KnlAjyULlaw/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0
- Deep Run Park Recreation Center - 9900 Ridgefield Pkwy.
- Dorey Park Recreation Center 2999 Darbytown Rd.
- East End Recreation Center- 1440 N. Laburnum Ave. .
Gifted Identification Window
On Monday, January 18th, the referral window for Spring Gifted Identification will open for students in grades K-5. Gifted identification referrals will be accepted by Laburnum’s Gifted Identification Coordinator, Erin Conmy, from January 18 through January 29th. Please consider attending our upcoming virtual Parent/Guardian Referral Information Session, January 19, 3:00-4:00. Additional details will be shared and parent/guardian(s) will have an opportunity to ask questions and learn more about the gifted identification process. A reminder about this meeting and a Microsoft Teams link will be shared on Friday, January 15th. If you have additional questions, please contact: Erin Conmy,email@example.com
Also, join our Gifted Identification Coordinator and Gifted Resource Teacher for a virtual information session on January, 19, 3:00 - 4:00. An email with the link will be sent on Friday, January 15th. Please mark your calendars.
- Please remember to call the school and speak with one of our secretaries to report your child's absence. Calling or messaging your child's teacher will not permit us to excuse the absence. The number to the front office is (804) 228-2720.
- Through our partnership with Horace Mann, we are able to offer a great attendance incentive. Any student with perfect attendance will have his/her name entered into a drawing to win a new bicycle. Please share this with your child.
Join the PTA on January 26th at 5:30 for our Principal Chat/PTA General Meeting.
Join by Video :meet.google.com/qow-oaod-pdq
Join by Phone:
PIN: 274 316 867#
Don't forget to join our wonderful PTA! The cost is only $5.00 per person. Use the membership link today or stop by the school.
No Hassle Fund Raising for Laburnum
The Laburnum PTA part of the Kroger Community Rewards Program. Help us raise funds for our school and children by linking your Kroger rewards card to the Laburnum PTA. Go to https://www.kroger.com/i/community/community-rewards to link your rewards card to the Laburnum Elementary PTA.
If you shop on Amazon, you can also support the Laburnum PTA if you use Amazon Smile. AmazonSmile is a simple way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. AmazonSmile is available at smile.amazon.com on your web browser and can be activated in the Amazon Shopping app for iOS and Android phones. When you shop at AmazonSmile, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added benefit that AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. You can choose from over one million organizations to support.
Follow Us on Social Media