3rd Grade Newsletter
September 8th-September 18
If you would like to be featured in the newsletter, please email a photo of your student schooling to Emily Marks at email@example.com. Be sure to complete the media release form below if you have not already!
Unit 2- Fables
In Unit 2 of ELA, you will be learning about and reading fables. These will be found in the Expeditions in Reading book provided with your ELA curriculum. You will also be continuing to learn about writing a narrative and will begin to draft your narrative that you will continue in Unit 3.
Quarter 1 Writing Work SampleDuring the week of August 31, we discussed the Quarter 1 Writing Sample. It was originally due on September 8th uploaded to Seesaw Learning. We are still working on getting everyone access to Seesaw, so the due date for this assignment to be uploaded will be postponed. However, students should still work to have this completed by September 8th. See the attachment below for directions for completing the Writing Work Sample. Directions to access Seesaw and submit assignments will be coming soon.
Here is a video (in two parts) explaining the assignment and the RACE strategy students can use to help them respond to the prompt:
Quarter 1 Writing TGA
You will be completing your Quarter 1 Writing TGA in Unit 2, Lesson 13- Big Ideas Mini Project. We will start the assignment in class and it should be completed independently and uploaded to Seesaw by September 24th at 5:00 pm.
*Note: Lessons that include a Part 2 on the same day will now have a "+" on the BOTC.
See below for adjustments to the main lessons to accommodate for the work in Part 2:
Lesson 1.14: No adjustment; complete Microsoft Forms Quiz after completing Lesson 1.14.
Lesson 2.1: Complete numbers 1-5 in the activity book.
Lesson 2.2: Complete only the odd-numbered problems in the activity book.
Lesson 2.4: Complete only the odd-numbered problems in the activity book.
Lesson 2.5: Complete numbers 1-5 in the activity book.
Lesson 2.6: Complete only the odd-numbered problems in the activity book.
Quarter 1 Math TGA
For your Quarter 1 Math TGA, you will complete the Mini Project from Math Lesson 1.15. This assignment should be completed by September 10th. Once students have access to Seesaw, they will then upload the assignment there. The date to upload will be determined and announced once Seesaw is up and running.
If you are not able to get into the OLS for any of these reasons, please be sure to follow the Bison On-Track Calendar to complete any offline work. The Bison On-Track Calendar for the next two weeks will include the Lesson Guide (LG) and the Activity Book (AB) pages for the Math and ELA lessons for the day to help you find these in your materials. Once you are able to get back into the OLS, you will be able to complete the online portion of the lessons and mark the lesson complete.
Tips & Tricks for a Successful School Year
- Class connect attendance is extremely important in addition to completing online coursework. Please prioritize attending class every day and email all teachers if you know you are going to be absent. Communicate with your homeroom teacher about any scheduling conflicts.
- Create a family schedule to stay on track with all students' class connects.
- Come to class prepared. Be sure to eat, use the restroom, do chores, etc. before or after class connects. Log in to class a few minutes early to be ready to start on time.
- Stay on track each day by following the Bison On-Track Calendar.
- All assignments require 80% mastery in order to be marked complete. Click here to watch a video showing how to retake an assessment. If you run out of attempts, contact your homeroom teacher.
- Watch recordings of any missed class connects. Click here to see how to access recordings.
- Clear out browser cache, cookies, and history daily to ensure that your computer runs smoothly with Newrow. Click here for instructions. Shut down your computer each night.
A Note from Mrs. Ratzloff
Hi Third Graders, Mrs. Ratzloff is just wanting to say good-bye to some of you. Some of you I will still be seeing around. I am going to be moved to the Special Education Department at OVCA. I will no longer be a homeroom teacher. I want to introduce Mrs. Matheson. She will be your new third grade homeroom teacher. She is so excited to get to know you and work with you this year. In the short time that I have worked with you, I know you are an awesome class and will continue to show your skills as you continue to grow in both math and ELA. Make her welcome and make me proud!
Important Upcoming Dates
- September 7th: Labor Day-No School
- September 8th: Quarter 1 Writing Work Sample Due (date to upload TBD)
- September 10th: Quarter 1 Math TGA Due (date to upload TBD)
- September 24th: Quarter 1 Writing TGA Due in Seesaw
- September 25th: No School-School Holiday
- October 9th: 1st Quarter Grades due in Gradebook
- October 14th: Last Day of 1st Quarter-All work to be completed by 5:00 pm
- October 15th & 16th: Fall Break
You will be able to find current and past Bison On Track Calendars and Newsletters on the school website.
If you are experiencing technical issues, please use the link above or call 866-512-2273 to submit a ticket.
In Case You Missed It
Teacher Contact Information
Call: (405) 259-9478, ext. 3091
Text: (405) 309-7671
Call: (405) 259-9478, ext. 3197
Special Education Teachermmiller@okvirtual.org
Special Education Teacher
Call: (405) 259-9478, ext. 2168
Text: (918) 550-4517
Special Education Teacher
(405) 259-9478, ext. 3079