The Secret Life of Bees
By: Sue Monk Kidd
This is a New York Times Bestseller!
"People who think dying is the worst thing don't know a thing about life" (Kidd 2).
Fourteen year old, Lily, has lived only with her dad, T-Ray, for most of her life and hates every second of it. Her mother passed away when Lily was a young girl and her father makes up stuff about how she died and tells Lily those lies but, Lily remembers some of what had happened on that day. One day, Lily finds a picture with Tiburon, South Carolina on the back of it and a pair of gloves that belonged to her mother. She thinks her mother had been to Tiburon, South Carolina before she died, so Lily and her friend, Rosaleen, travel there and find something or someone that interests Lily... They are taken in by three black women, June, May and August. While Lily and Rosaleen are there, they are put to work. Lily works in the bee farm and Rosaleen works in in the house with June and May. August shares with Lily a meaningful story that ends the journey.
Can you relate to this story?
The Secret Life of Bees Trailer
- "A moving first novel... Lily is an authentic and winning character and her story is a compelling story" - USA Today
- "A radiant first novel" - The Atlantic Journal-Constitution
- "Maybe it's true that there are no perfect books, but I closed this one believing I found perfection." - Book Magazine
More About this Novel
The Secret Life of Bees was on the New York bestseller list for two and a half years. Today, it has been translated in 36 languages and sold more than six million copies! It has been reenacted on stage by The American Place Theater for more than ten years and in 2008 it was transformed into a movie by Fox Searchlight which had won People's Choice Award for best movie and NAACP Image Award for best picture
Join the thousands of people who have read this extraordinary novel!
Awards it has won!
- Book list
- Christian Library Journal
- Library Journal
- New York Public Library Books for the Teen age
- New York Times
- Publishers weekly
- Teacher Librarian
- Voice of Youth Advocates (VOYA)
- Voice of Youth Advocates (VOYA) starred
- Wilson's Fiction
- Wilson's Senior High School