...with Kelly Moore & Susan Drumm
Moving Your H:Drive to OneDrive
Who needs to do this?
Every HSE employee who has files stored on their work computer should complete this process.
Why does this need to be done?
- With increased use of digital files, media, and curriculum, we are simply running out of space!
- HSE is moving away from our own onsite H:Drive storage and is moving to cloud based storage through Microsoft Office 365's OneDrive.
- 1 Terabyte of storage is available via OneDrive, which is 500 times larger than the current 2 Gigabytes currently available for each employee.
- New devices next fall will NOT have your H:Drives on them!
When should this be done?
- Goal: All employees will have migrated their H:Drive files to OneDrive by May 27, 2016.
- Goal: H:Drives will be disabled and unavailable for employees as of June 30, 2016.
- Should be done individually as opposed to a large group at a PD session - sitting around looking at the screen while things transfer over is most likely not a great use of time! Ha!
- It is NOT recommended to wait until the last day of school, or even the last week, as this process may take several days for you.
When you are ready to make this transfer during semester 2, please do so. However, please do not wait until the end of May!
What do I need to transfer?
- HDrive files and folders (not shortcuts)
- Desktop files and folders (not shortcuts)
- Check your downloads folder and move anything you wish to keep.
- Check your pictures/photos and move any you wish to keep.
What about students?
- Student drive accounts are typically refreshed each summer and content is erased. So this is nothing different for them.
- Timeline is the same for students.
- Students should be encouraged now to save items to their own OneDrive accounts.
What about my Google Drive and shared intranet files?
- This is only for your H:Drive.
- Shared intranet files do not have to be moved at this point.
- Separate instructions for Google Drive migration will be sent during this semester.
What should I do prior to migrating my files?
- Preview the instructions below to familiarize yourself with the process.
- Delete any media, files, or folders that you do not want to migrate. Will you really use that old quiz or newsletter ever again??? Now's a great time to clean house!
- Any file that starts or ends with a dot OR is named with a special character of " # % * : < > ? \ / | will not migrate. If you have a file like this, you should rename it prior to migrating. Click here for a tutorial on how to rename a file.