St. Viator Parish School
Viator Voice: September 21, 2020
Jesus said, "Come to Me"
Jesus said, "Come to Me" and our students listened! Our 3rd grade children were so excited and so prepared to receive their First Communion last week.
Thank you, Mrs. Liguori, Mrs. Escobar, Mrs. Kneesel, Mrs. Colbert and Mrs. Sayegh, for your dedication and service in forming these children in faith. You teach by word and example and may these little ones continue to grow in wisdom, understanding, and grace.
Monday, September 21st through Friday, September 25th:
Terra Nova Testing Week
- Limited Special classes remain in the schedule.
- Distance Learning students will not be logging into school at the start of the day. Teachers will let students know via Google Classroom when class begins and students can zoom in.
Please note: Monday, September 28, 2020
- NO SCHOOL on MONDAY due to All Faculty/Staff Retreat and Professional Development!
Terra Nova Testing Begins This Week
Standardized tests are yet another tool that is used to evaluate how students in a given class or school perform in relation to other students. Since the same test is given to a large number of students throughout the country, the results give the school personnel a common yardstick of “standard” of measure to determine whether school programs are succeeding, as well as a “snapshot” of the skills and abilities of all its students.
- Terra Nova testing begins today, Monday, September 21.
- Testing is for all students in Grades 2 through 8.
The Terra Nova is a standardized achievement test taken by students nationwide. Most of us are well aware that these test results do not equal intelligence. The main purpose of the test is to provide the school with information that can be used to help teachers make sound educational decisions about student learning and curriculum development. The score results allow us to monitor our students’ annual growth, and also help us identify areas of achievement as well as needed areas of meaningful improvement. Our commitment to our students inspires us to want to provide the strongest and most effective instruction possible. Standardized testing is an important component in the data that is continuously disaggregated and analyzed learning outcomes are being measured.
Prepare your child for testing:
- Have your children arrive at school on time this week.
- Remember, taking tests can be hard work and require lots of energy.
- We recommend that students get plenty of rest and eat a nourishing breakfast and lunch on test days.
As always, thank you for your support and cooperation!
Distance Learners: Terra Nova Reminder
As we discussed at our meeting, Terra Nova does not offer on-line assessments, however, our goal is to administer the Terra Nova to all virtual students upon their return to campus. During the hours of testing each day, our virtual students will not be scheduled for classes as our teachers will be fully engaged with those students who are testing. Each teacher will provide the schedule for virtual class times via Google Classroom during Terra Nova test week.
D is for DANCING DADs!
We have the greatest DADS at St. Viator! In PK, the letter of the week is D .... While our dads could not come on campus to dance to the YMCA for us, this is D is for Dancing Dads, 2020 style!
A Reminder from Mrs. Palacio...
Thank you for keeping your family and the school community safe by following these steps for clean and healthy after-school activities:
Getting a flu vaccine is more important than ever during 2020-2021 to protect yourself, your family and your community from flu. A flu vaccine this season can also help reduce the burden on our public health and healthcare systems responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and save medical resources for care of COVID-19 patients. The more people vaccinated; the more people protected. Do your part. Get a flu vaccine this fall.
CDC recommends 3 actions to prevent flu.
This season follow these preventive actions, along with additional recommendations to prevent COVID-19.
Congratulations to our Las Vegas Raiders for a WIN in their first game!
Distance Learning Students, Please Sign Up for Picture Day!
Extended Care Sign Up for September 21st Below
Parent - Teacher Conferences - Sign Up Now!
Conference week is coming: October 5-9, 2020
Grades PK through 4,
To sign up, click here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4ca5a829a7f94-parent1
- Prekindergarten and Kindergarten: Conferences are for parents and teacher only - no children.
- Grades 1-3: Parents and teacher - your child may attend the conference, but is not required to attend.
- Grades 4: Parents, student and teacher - your child is required to attend a scheduled conference.
To sign up, click here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4ca5a829a7f94-parent
It is not mandatory to attend a Junior High parent-teacher conference unless specifically requested.
- Conferences begin at 1:15 p.m. each day. From 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. appointments are designated for joint-conferences, wherein you can request, or we may require, a conference with all teachers at the same time. If you desire a joint-conference, please contact your homeroom teacher to coordinate.
- If a conference is not specifically requested, you still have the opportunity to meet with any teacher to address any questions or concerns that you might have regarding Junior High progress. Simply choose a conference day and time. Please be sure to add your student's name to the comment section.
- Your child needs to accompany you for your scheduled conference.
Extended Care is available from Noon until 6 PM during conference week.
Congratulations to our Good Sams!
1st Grade: Evelyn S
2nd Grade: Marck P
3rd Grade: Andrew C
4th Grade: Kiley S
5th Grade: Alaina S
6th Grade: Keithan M; Daphne F
7th Grade: Kylie H
8th Grade: Sophia D; Joy S
What does it take to be a Good Sam? Here are some of the comments from teachers and classmates:
- Her smile and positive attitude in the face of loss is truly inspirational. She is pure sunshine and a beacon of hope for us all.
- He is an active faith filled Catholic because he is very kind and considerate to all of his classmates and teachers. Additionally, he is very reverent during prayers and spreads joy throughout the classroom.
- She is kind to new students, invites others to play “Social Distance” tag at recess, helped a student that was crying, positive leadership in the classroom.
- She has most good sams in the jar: faith filled Catholic; always pleasant and says hello and helps me with iPad & Zoom!:)
- She has taken it upon herself to be the one in charge of the Zoom iPad to assist all teachers who come into the room. She lets us know if some one enters and need to be let in from the waiting room. She also assists with those with questions, etc.
- He has been helpful in working with a MICAH student. It is a side of this student, I am thrilled to see, and I think it needs to be rewarded. He has a good heart.