Weekly Update for HVES Hawks Nation
Friday, February 7, 2020
"Hawk Nation" Welcomes You
Calendar of Events
10-13 - School Spirit Day - Sports Day (flyer is below)
10 - PTO Meeting at 6:30 in the library
11 - School Spirit Day - Career Day (flyer is below)
11 - After School Drama Club - Fairies & Nymphs groups (3:30-5:00)
12 - School Spirit Day - Crazy Hair Day (flyer is below)
13 - Early Release Day (No PM preschool)
13 - School Spirit Day - Hope Valley Wear Blue Day (flyer is below)
13 - After School Drama Club - Trolls group only (2:00-4:00)
14-17 - Winter Recess
18 - URI Basketball Tickets are due
3-6 - Book Fair in Library (details as we get closer)
3/5- Reading Week Assembly
3/6- Possible Movie Night (stay tuned)
3/9- PTO Meeting at 6:30 in the Library
3/17- Kindergarten Registration 10-6 in library (see flyer below)
3/18- Kindergarten Registration 10-6 in library (see flyer below)
3/19- Early Release Day (No AM preschool)
3/21- ARTESSY at CMS
Spirit Week > 2/10-2/13
January PTO Meeting Notes
World Read Aloud Day
1. SNACK CONCERN - I just want to remind families that classrooms are peanut and tree nut free. Please do not send in any snacks that contain peanuts and tree nuts. We have children with severe allergies in the school. I think sometimes we get lax about it (me included) and we forget but it is very important that we adhere to this school policy.
2. Valentine's Day is Friday, February 14 which is a day there is no school. If teachers decide to do a Valentine Day celebration in the class, I want to remind parents that there is NO FOOD or NO CANDY allowed to be distributed. Hate to be the “Cupid Grinch” but students will not be able to give out food or candy. Non-food items are fine. I suggest home-made or store-bought Valentine cards. In the past, students have attached non-food/non-candy items like pencils, erasers, stickers, temporary tattoos, etc. I appreciate your undivided attention with this request!
Drama Club Information
I am so excited to be back for a second year at Hope Valley working on the after school drama program! The students did such an amazing job bringing to life the characters that the high school writers imagined for this year’s production! Here is a rehearsal schedule through Feb 13. Please note that not all students will be called to every rehearsal (see schedule). You can view the rehearsal calendar here: rehearsal calendar. Looking forward to getting started!
Tuesday, February 11 from 3:30-5:00
- Fairies Group AND Nymphs Group
Thursday, February 13 from 2:00-4:00 (note ending time)
- Trolls Group only
Langworthy Library News
Yearbooks For Sale
RICAS Testing Information
Dear Parents and Guardians of Students in Grades 3 and 4:
State assessments are an important component of Chariho’s Comprehensive Assessment System. These assessments provide us with information to measure the effectiveness of our curriculum and programs, and identify areas where students may need extra support. Your child’s results provide information about his/her progress towards being on the road to college and career readiness.
This year, your child will participate in the online RICAS (Rhode Island Comprehensive Assessment System) assessments in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics.
RICAS assessments will be administered on the following dates:
Grade 3 & 4 ELA - Tuesday, April 7 and Wednesday, April 8
Grade 3 & 4 Math - Tuesday, April 28 and Wednesday, April 29
The school will provide a complimentary breakfast to students before tests are administered. We appreciate your support in making sure your child:
Has a good night’s sleep;
Attends school; and
Arrives to school on time.
Thank you for your continued involvement in and support of your child’s education. Please contact your child’s teacher or myself if you wish to learn more.
I know this is early to start thinking about but I wanted to get the information out sooner rather than later. Included on Kindergarten Registration Day will be school tours, play centers, light refreshments, and a special gift for our newest students. Parents will have an opportunity to speak to the principal and a kindergarten teacher. No appointment will be necessary on March 17 or March 18.
What should I bring with me? It'll be important for parents to bring immunization records, birth certificate, and a locator card. These three things are a must to complete your registration packet. There will be a flyer coming home out soon. Stay tuned and please pass along news to those who have an incoming Kindergarten student. Much appreciated.
Survey Time...Need your Help!
The Rhode Island Department of Education is currently administering its yearly SurveyWorks Parent Survey, which is an opportunity for parents to provide feedback about our school and our children’s opportunities to learn. The survey results are most useful when all parents participate, so I am writing to ask you to participate in this survey.
Your views on matters like the safety of your child at school, the way students are taught, the condition of the school, and how connected you feel to this school are important. By taking this short survey you can help our school leadership and our parent-teacher organization to make improvements to our school. Responses are anonymous and cannot be linked to any individual; no one can tie your responses back to you.
You can take the short survey online anytime between now and March 31st. To take the survey, visit: surveys.panoramaed.com/ride and enter one of the access codes below:
- For students in grades Kindergarten through 4th grade, enter 98107family
- For students in pre-school, enter 98109family
- Payment for the Morning Program is due at the beginning of each month. If you need a form, stop or call the office.
- Also, the Morning Program STARTS at 7:30. Technically it starts at 7:35 because everything is programmed through our time clock. Staff punch in at 7:30 so they need time to get to the gym to set up. At Hope Valley, we have always allowed students to come for 7:30 but we cannot let children in before 7:30 because no one will be in the gym.
- We have many students with negative lunch balances. Please be sure parents are taking care of any balances ASAP. Checks can be made out to Chariho Regional School District
- If your child comes in at 8:00 for Dreambox with Mr. Mulvey or reading support with Mrs. Pastore or Maker Morning/Green Screen with Mrs. Ward, students must not be coming before 7:55 or they will be charged $3.50 per day.
Social Media Outlets
The PTO Corner
Next meeting February 10, 2020 at 6:30 pm in the Hope Valley School Library
PTO Board Members:
- PTO President: Becky Champlin
- PTO Vice President: Leah Sousa
- PTO Treasurer: Stephanie DaPonte
- PTO Secretary: Chloe Morgan and Kristen Clarke
- PTO Communication: Chelsea Baker
- PTO Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Principal: Giuseppe Gencarelli – Giuseppe.Gencarelli@chariho.k12.ri.us
- School Secretary: Donna Sunderland– Donna.Sunderland@chariho.k12.ri.us
PTO meetings are typically the second working Monday each month. If you’re not able to make the meeting but still want to be involved please send an email to our PTO to make sure you receive a copy of the meeting minutes email@example.com.
Meeting dates for the year are as follows:
- Feb 10, 2019 @ 6:30
- March 9, 2019 @ 6:30
- April 13, 2019 @ 6:30
- May 11, 2019 @ 6:30
About Hope Valley Elementary School
The mission of the Hope Valley Elementary School is to work in partnership with our colleagues, students and families. We are committed to creating a learning environment where children are expected to achieve their full potential.