Week of 9/6/2021
.... It's a GREAT place to be!
Birmingham Covington Schools (BCS)
9/6/21 - Week's Events
*denotes more information provided below
- Labor Day, No School
- Rosh Hashanah begins at sunset
- Rosh Hashanah sends at sundown
- PTA Meeting 1:15 p.m.
- Grade 5/6 Curriculum Night 6-8 p.m.
- Grades 3/4 Curriculum Night: Monday, September 13, 6-8 p.m.
- Grades 7/8 Curriculum Night: Thursday, September 23, 6-8:45 p.m.
All School News
Greetings, BCS Families!
What a wonderful back-to-school week we had as welcomed our Cobras back to BCS! Thank you BCS families for your partnership, volunteerism, and support to help us make this week back a successful one. In the next three weeks, we look forward to inviting families to Curriculum Night, beginning with 5/6 families on Thursday, September 9 from 6-8. We will welcome BCS 3/4 families Monday, September 13, 6-8 p.m and 7/8 families Thursday, September 23, 6-8:45 p.m.
For your quick reference, we will keep these welcome documents linked if you would like to review procedures and protocols for the year:
- BCS 21-22 School Year Reminders
- Student Pick-Up and Drop-Off Protocols
- BCS 21-22 Drop-Off and Pick-Up Map
We wish everyone a wonderful extended Labor Day weekend, and to those families celebrating Rosh Hashanah, we honor and celebrate with you!
Yours in BCS solidarity,
Dr. Hakim & Mr. Hill
BCS Choice Hour
- Choice Hour begins Tuesday August 31
- Choice Hour runs daily from 3:20-4:10pm
- Busses come AFTER Choice Hour
Choice Hour Schedules
Schedules are available online listed by Student ID number HERE.
Updated class lists will also be given to the teachers weekly while we process choice hour changes. The master schedule is also posted on the Choice Hour Board in the main hall. Our teachers do a great job of acclimating our students to Choice Hour the first week!
Choice Hour Changes
The change period for Quarter I is September 7 through September 10 at 11:59pm.
During this window, families may fill out a form to drop a class, add a day of choice hour, or request a change of class on an existing day.
These changes are processed on a rolling basis, first come first served, and will take effect on Monday, September 13.
Please make sure you use the correct form. All forms are currently closed and will open on September 7.
- Drop Form (for students who need to drop a day of choice hour entirely)
- Add Form (for students who need to add a day on which they are not currently enrolled) The list of available classes will be listed on the form when it opens.
- Change Form (for students who wish to switch to a different class on a which which they are currently enrolled) The list of available classes will be listed on the form when it opens.
Reporting a Choice Hour Absence
Email BCSChoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us or leave a message at 248.203.4625
Questions? Contact Courtney Bassett at BCSChoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us
Media Center Notes
- FAQs: When does your class come down for checkout? What can you do in the library? What does the library curriculum cover? Get the basics on the BCS Library 2021-22 offerings here.
- Birthday Book Club: Celebrate your child’s birthday in a special way and help our library collection continue to grow! If you choose to participate in the program, your child will be invited to select a new book from our Birthday Book Club cart on or near your child’s birthday (summer birthdays will celebrated during the month of their half birthday). Inside the book we will place a bookplate with your child’s name, photo, and birthday. If you are interested in joining, complete the Birthday Book Club registration form and return it along with the $15 (per child) donation to the BCS Library. Make checks payable to BCS.
- Volunteers: Do you love to organize with great attention to detail? Do you enjoy light exercise, including squats and light lifting? Do you find it satisfying to tidy up vibrant public spaces? Shelving books might just be the perfect hobby for you! Please contact Ann Truesdell at email@example.com if you are interested in helping out in the BCS Media Center.
BCS Cafeteria is going cashless
If students would like to continue to make a cash payments, the student can find Mr. Allen in the cafeteria during breakfast.
BCS Fall Athletics Update
- Student athletes need a current sports physical on file. Physicals need to be dated after April 15, 2021. Students can turn their physical into the Front Office.
- Orange Slips will be available in the Front Hall for students who have registered and have a current physical on file, beginning September 7th.
- There will be No Buses for athletics. Families are responsible for transportation for their student(s) to any competition off BCS property.
- Please check individual sports websites for team notes.
Parent/Guardian Schoology Access
Parent/Guardian Schoology Access (this is separate from PowerSchool access which is the site parents should continue to use to check student grades). Schoology is where assignments are housed. Here are directions to create your parent account - https://www.birmingham.k12.mi.us/Page/11350
If the BCS Clinic needs to house medication for your student, please drop it off in the Front Office. Be sure you have an updated Permission to Administer form and Action Plan. These forms need to have a physician's signature. Contact Joni Say Gan at JSaygan@birmingham.k12.mi.us with any questions.
Early Dismissal Procedures
Please review these procedures to help keep your students and school safe.
- Buzz the front door
- Show identification to the camera
- Enter building and sign out student on blue sheet on clipboard
- Wait in vestibule for student
- Will be released after the office staff calls the teacher
- Student will be sent to the office
- Student will be released to the parent through the vestibule door
STUDENT IS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE CLASS UNTIL PARENT IS HERE. STUDENTS MUST BE SIGNED OUT IN THE OFFICE. STUDENTS CANNOT EXIT THROUGH ANY OTHER DOOR.
No Early Dismissal after 3:00 p.m
BCS Spirit Wear
New Covington Spirit Wear is now available to order! Shop the awesome new designs by heading to the online store. All Spirit Wear proceeds go directly to your BCS PTA. All orders are due by September 20th. If you have any questions contact Hollie Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org. Show your BCS spirit! We’ll notify you when you items are available for pickup at Bloomfield Sports Shop at 3594 W Maple Rd, Bloomfield Hills. If you prefer delivery to your home, the site allows for a flat delivery charge.
Schools Offer Support Helps BPS Families
SOS (Schools Offer Support) is helping families across the district. Pick up a week's worth of meals every Wednesday from 11-1 at Groves High School. SOS also provides food boxes the first Wednesday of every month to families with an extra need for food. If you need additional support, we can help with that too. For more information or to request support please contact Courtney Bassett at email@example.com or visit schoolsoffersupport.org and hit the Request Support button.
Other Helpful Resource Links...
We are here to help support your child academically, socially and emotionally during this time. If you would like to request a counseling appointment for your son or daughter, just email his or her counselor using the contact information below. Your counselor will then respond in order to set up an appointment.
Please keep us updated if we can be of any help at this time.
Your BCS Counselors,
Karen Kohler - Last Names A-K (firstname.lastname@example.org) and
Jenny Wagner - Last Names L-Z (email@example.com)
If students are having trouble logging in to Schoology or if they found that upon entering, there were no classes, please contact the Help Desk at HelpDesk@birmingham.k12.mi.us or at (248) 203-3123.
Schoology Parent Introduction:
You should have received more information about Schoology, our learning management system. Please review the attached district resources for additional Schoology information.
Note: Your child's teachers will provide class-specific guidance to students/families as they begin to integrate Schoology's features in their courses.
Parent & Student Schoology Reference Page
Check out the Student Schoology Reference page! This document will provide students and parents with instructions on setting up their Schoology account, navigating Schoology, and performing everyday tasks in courses. This reference sheet may provide helpful resources for you to use to help your students become proficient with Schoology.