Prevent the Summer Slide - READ!
Summer Reading Programs PES 2017
What's the Summer Slide?
Summer Readers are Leaders at PES
Palencia's Summer Reading Program
Instead of utilizing one program for our summer reading initiative at Palencia, we are hoping to share and promote the programs below. Hopefully, one of the many resources below will motivate your children to read over the summer. Choose the program or activity that bests suits your child and family.
In order to culminate our Summer Reading Adventures at PES we would like to reward students who read over the summer with Book Bucks for the Fall Book Fair. $10 in Book Bucks will we awarded to students who write about the reading program they choose to use over the summer. Parents can help students with the story of their reading adventure. We would even love a picture. The summer program below featuring Buncee would be a great way to document your child's story. It doesn't matter what students read and we aren't looking for documentation of every book or minutes. Instead, your child should write about what they did and how they were inspired by a reading program. We will share these inspirational stories and pick several to be highlighted on the WPES morning news. Please submit your child's story by August 25, 2017 to the media center or email it to email@example.com.
Scholastic's Summer Reading Challenge
MackinVia E-books - Get the App or Read On-line
Acclerated Reader for the Summer 2017
For more information about Accelerated Reader at Palencia please visit our AR Web-page.
The St. Johns County Public Library
- Bookmobile - visits Palencia Elementary every other Wednesday afternoon. Use the link to find the current schedule.
- Build a Better World Summer Reading Program - Your local library can help your children avoid the “summer slide,” the loss of knowledge and academic skills that can occur over summer break. Our summer reading logs and incentive programs for kids and teens can help keep skills up. Kids who mark their reading logs can bring them to the library each week for a terrific prize. Stop by your branch to pick yours up! Last summer our county libraries provided over 500 active programs for children and teens, and put hundreds of reading logs in the hands of young learners. This summer’s theme is Build a Better World, so come visit us and join the fun!
- E-books - SJCPL uses Overdrive as their e-book platform. There are thousands of e-books available for elementary and middle school aged students with your library card.
Summer Sparks Reading Contest!
This program allows students to create a Buncee slide show as a reading journal and gives access to Capstone's digital library of books. To participate in this program e-mail Mrs. Ayrish Booysen for a username and password. If your child already has access to Buncee through their teacher, they can use that account to create their reading journal. The school with the most Buncee reading journals will win Buncee & PebbleGo subscriptions, Library Skills book set written by Shannon Miller & produced by Emily Arrow, and an ICE CREAM PARTY!
You can access Buncee.com on the web or by downloading the Buncee iOS app. The following link tells more about the contest: http://bunc.ee/2q4pKRl.
Read! Access Capstone’s digital library and award winning databases. This site has fabulous non-fiction content for even the youngest readers. Links are below in Summer Sparks Links.
Buncee is a creation and presentation tool for students and educators to create interactive classroom content, allowing learners of all ages to visualize concepts and communicate creatively. Imagine creating slide shows with all the pictures and digital content built into the program so that students don't need to go to other internet sites searching for images and graphics. Each Buncee has a link and can be shared in other Aps like MackinVia e-books. This is a fun way for students to share their Reading Adventure Story with our school.
Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Program
Barnes & Noble’s Summer Reading Program is back to give young readers the opportunity to earn a free book by following these three easy steps:
2. Bring your completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between May 16th and September 5th, 2017. Click here to find a Store.
3. Choose your FREE reading adventure from the book list featured on the back of the journal.
Epic! - Thousands of Online Books for Kids
Epic is like Netflix for children's books. The e-book platform is provided free to educators and supported by home subscriptions.
- Gives instant access to the world’s largest digital library of high-quality fiction and nonfiction for kids 12 and under
- Includes personalized reading recommendations for each child based on individual reading preferences and abilities
- Reading logs to track student progress
- Available on iPads, iPhone, Android devices, and on any computer or desktop
and earn prizes for their reading success. Start your reading adventure!