Back to School News 2019-2020
Hawley Elementary School ~ August 9, 2019
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti
Wow! It feels like just yesterday we were wrapping up the school year, oh, wait......that's because it practically was ;0)
The Moretti's have done some vacationing and re-connecting while also preparing to send #2 to college. Mrs. Moretti is struggling with having only 1 of 3 in the house while Mr. Moretti is struggling with 2 tuition checks.
I hope that you are having a terrific summer making memories with family and friends. There is still some time to get to those things not yet done. We have been busy gearing up for the start of an exciting new school year.
I wanted to take a moment and share some information that might be helpful for you to have prior to the start of school. As always, if you have any unanswered questions, do not hesitate to contact me.
A BIG Welcome to our New Families and Kindergarteners. I am looking forward to seeing everyone soon.
Excited Hawley Principal
Welcome Back from Ms. Connors
Dear Hawley Families,
Welcome back to school! I am so excited for the 2018-2019 school year. I have enjoyed my summer, relaxing and vacationing with my children, and I am now looking forward to all of the energy and excitement that a new school year brings. I am busy preparing for our opening days and cannot wait to see all of the smiling faces at the walk through on August 24th and in the halls on our first day. In the meantime, enjoy the remaining days of summer. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns as the school year approaches.
- Jill Marak comes down from the Reed School as our new Music Teacher.
- Erika Carlson is our new Library Media Specialist as the Wasley family moved to Ohio.
- Stephanie Kim will be a new Resource Teacher replacing Kim Jones who retired.
- Amy Speiser is our new Speech and Language Pathologist as Linda Mastroianni also retired last year.
- Elisabeth Douglass joins us from Head O'Meadow as a Reading Teacher replacing April Mignone who has decided to stay home with her new son.
- Darren Pierre has been named Head Custodian replacing the retiring Mr. Frank. Darren was a Supervisor over at the Reed School.
- Not new staff but new role.......Marianne Grimaldi is the new School Executive Secretary in our main office as Donna Norling is now over at Central Office as Secretary to the Assistant Superintendent of Schools.
- All returning families should already have a current, active account as this is how Teacher Placement and Progress Reports were accessed last year.
New Families/Kindergarten Parents:
- You were mailed out information and passwords for setting up a ParentPortal account
- If you do not receive your letter with student numbers and passwords to set up an account in the ParentPortal by Monday, please call the school and we will give you the information.
- We will need to have all required registration information for new students to be assigned to a classroom and for them to be able to begin school.
Bus numbers with routes and times will be available in the Newtown Bee as part of their Back To School Section coming out soon.
The system implemented last year will remain in place for this year.
- In the morning, buses stop at Hawley first and then go to Reed.
- In the afternoon, Reed students are picked up first and buses then come to Hawley.
- Reed students, in the afternoon, transfer from the shuttle buses to the bus they take home.
- Notes about a student being picked-up should be sent in to whatever school the student attends (Hawley/Reed).
- All pick-ups occur in the gym (see procedures under drop off/pick up)
- Reed students WITH Hawley siblings can be picked-up together at Hawley. We get a list of pick-ups from Reed, the Reed student gets off the shuttle, walks in the front door, and meets their sibling and you in the gym.
- A walker is defined as a student that walks off the school campus with no adult. If a parent meets a student, even if they walk home together, they are considered a pick-up and will be met by the parent in the gym with all pick-ups.
- Walkers gather in our lobby, check in with our guard and then leave.
- Reed students can meet a sibling in the lobby, check in with our guard, and walk as well.
- Their is a waiver that needs to be signed giving permission to walk and taking responsibility for safe routes. The waiver is available on our school website or by clicking HERE.
- Each year, buses are delayed the first few days of school as routes and stops are ironed out and tweaked.
- Per District Protocol: Bus Passes (for riding a different bus home) are not allowed. In the event there is an emergency situation: 1. please call the bus company to make sure there is room for your student on the bus; 2. the bus company will then notify the school; 3. the school will write a bus pass and notify the teacher.
- If you are allowing your student to be dropped off at a bus stop with no adult present, a bus waiver form must be filled out. The form is available on the Hawley school website or by clicking HERE
Your patience the first few weeks is greatly appreciated. Please arrive at stops a little early and remain a little afterward to be safe. Let the bus company know if there are any issues.
Feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have.
Drop Off / Pick Up / Parking Procedures
At Hawley School, parking is a luxury. We only have 1 entrance/exit, a narrow drive-way and barely enough parking spaces for staff. Our School Community has always been extremely patient, flexible and courteous when it comes to this and it has always been greatly appreciated.
Click HERE for an overview of all drop-off, pick-up and parking procedures.
- 2018-2019 Supply Lists: click here
- District Early Release and Delayed Opening Professional Development Days: click here for a complete list.
- Volunteering: All people wanting to volunteer at Hawley School (which includes chaperoning field trips) must fill out a Volunteer Information and Waiver of Liability Form each year (yes, you have to fill it out again even if you filled it out last year ;0) The form is available on our website or you can Click HERE.
- Current/Updated Contact Information: It is imperative that our database contains updated and accurate information. This includes, but is not limited to, addresses and all phone numbers, local emergency contacts, and the email addresses that you would like to use to receive school communications. Our 1st Day Packet will contain directions on how to log in, set up an account, and use the Parent Portal in PowerSchool. New families have had this already mailed to them.
- Student Pictures: There are many wonderful events that occur throughout the year at Hawley School. We love to share pictures of them with you through our website, newsletters, Twitter and the Newtown Bee. We can only use your child's likeness with your yearly permission. You can grant this by updating your student's information in PowerSchool using the ParentPortal.
Dates To Remember
- Fri, Aug 24: PTA Kindergarten Bus Run, 8:00 am-9:30 am.
- Fri, Aug 24: Parent/Student Walkthrough, 9:30 am-10:30 am*.
- Mon, Aug 27: First Day of School!!
- Mon, Sept 3: NO SCHOOL (Labor Day)
- Tues, Sept 4: K-2 Open House, 6:30-8:00 pm
- Wed, Sept 5: Grades 3-4 Open House, 6:30-8:00 pm
- Mon, Sept 10: NO SCHOOL (Rosh Hashanah)
- Wed, Sept 12: PTA Ice Cream Social, 6:00-7:00 pm
- Wed, Sept 19: NO SCHOOL (Yom Kippur)
*Please note: Teachers will be attending a Professional Development Meeting at 10:30 am, so parents and students leaving promptly is greatly appreciated.
From the PTA
1. Kindergarten Bus Run
This yearly fun event is Friday, 8/24. It starts around 8:00 am with your child being picked-up at their bus stop and ends at 9:30 am with you picking them up at school. A more detailed letter will be sent home shortly but Save the Date!
2. Staff Back to School Luncheon
We are proud to provide the Hawley Staff with a Welcome Back Luncheon. It is Friday, 8/24. If you are able to contribute an item, it would be greatly appreciated.
You can sign up at the below link:
A Video Message to Kids From Mr. Moretti
-you may need to use Full Screen to see my entire face (if you want to ;0)
depending on your screen size-
- For us to use your child's likeness, we need your permission. Permission must be given yearly. You can grant it via the ParentPortal.