Mill Creek OST
Happy Colorful May
"Be like a flower and turn your face to the sun."
- Kahlil Gibran
- Tuesday, May 5th, Cinco de Mayo fiesta
- Thursday, May 7th, Early Release at 12:30p. We will be going to Little Mill Creek Park and walking trails.
- Thursday, May 14th, JCPRD's Parent Appreciation Day and JCPRD's Project Runway, come join in some fun and let us thank you for a great school year; kids-v-adults kickball or wiffleball, see the designs your child created in our runway challenge, make and take craft with your kid and some snacks to munch on, 4p-6:30p.
- Friday, May 22nd, Last Day of school and Early Release at 12:30p, Little Mill Creek Park and Kona Ice treats for the kids on us at 3p!
- Tuesday, May 26th, Summer Pre-Camp begins at Rising Star. Please have your child(ren) bring a sack lunch daily.
- Thursday, May 28th, Summer Camp Parent Orientation 6-7p at Rising Star
- Monday, June 1st, Summer Camp begins (ending July 31st) at Rising Star
2015-2016 School Year:
- Wednesday, August 12th, 1st Day of School for 1st-6th grade
- Friday, August 14th, 1st day for Kindergartners
Check the Important Dates section below for even more important dates!
JCPRD's Project Runway
We are excited to have the kids design clothing styles with their personal style. Just like the show, Project Runway, kids will have time limits and have to work with unconventional textiles.
If you have any scraps of: fabric (we want to challenge them so need for big pieces), ribbon, patches, duct tape, or some pliable material that kids could utilize into a design please bring to JCPRD MCE by Friday, May 8th. The kids will have from May 11th-13th to complete their masterpieces and then the designs will show on Thursday, May 14th at the Parent Appreciation celebration. Thank you for your help!
Last Field Trip for JCPRD's 2014-2015 Out of School Time
Park Lanes Bowling & Valley Park in Grnadview
Summer camp 2015
Shawnee Mission School District is hosting a FREE lunch program for their students this summer for grades K-12th at Rising Star which will allow MCE/RSE camper(s) to enjoy a free lunch everyday we are on site.
To register for any indoor or outdoor camps please call Registration at 913.831.3359, forms are online at http://jcprdkids.com/youthforms .
If you have other question email Jen Thomas at email@example.com
2015-2016 MCE OST Program
Enrollment forms can be found at www.jcprdkids.com. You will need to click on 2015-2016 OST Programs --> Shawnee Mission --> Registration Form. From here you may print out and fill in forms. You must PRINT, SIGN, SCAN, and EMAIL to Registration@jocogov.org. You may call registration at 913.831.3359 for any questions.
Congratulations to Maura Dayton and Abigail Heinisch with the closest guesses, what lucky ducks! 132 ducks made up our long row. This is the last month for our guesstimation jar.
Kids and parents get one last chance to take a guess at how many smiles we collected, write your full name and guess on the paper provided. Good luck and share a smile :)
Commit to Health...
Happy 60th birthday JCPRD: A year of celebration
ICYMI: "Every Kid in a Park" Initiative Announced
Last month, President Obama announced the "Every Kid in a Park" initiative that will give every fourth-grader in America a one year pass for free admission to all of the nation’s public lands. This initiative aims to get more children outdoors exploring and learning about the natural world around them. So what does this mean for community parks and recreation? It means we can show the nation that all of our country’s parks are ready to welcome all children to explore, grow and connect with nature.
In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours. ~Mark Twain
With the Kansas temps fluctuating, we ask that your child layer up and continue to bring the appropriate attire (jackets or hoodies with child's name labeled in it) to wear outside. We will enjoy the outdoors when permissible .
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
Friday, May 1st
Friday, May 15th, partial payment
- Thursday, May 7th, released at 12:30p. We will be walking to Little Mill Creek Park across from MCE
- Friday, May 22nd, LAST DAY OF SCHOOL and released at 12:30p. Kona Ice visiting, no money needed our thank you gift to your children
Please let us know if your child(ren) will NOT be coming early release days these days
All Day Care Days:
None for this month
Official Last Day of School:
Friday, May 22nd and will be an Early Release Day at 12:30p
You may register for JCPRD's SUMMER CAMP at 913.831.3359 or go online at jcprdkids.com.
2014-2015 Out of School Time enrollment is available now, checkout JCPRD's link.
- Check-In: We will check students in at the Café. If you know your child(ren) will not be in OST please call us at 913.599.5785 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If a student has not checked in with us, we will contact you if we haven't heard from you first.
- Snack: We are very excited to report that we have taken the Commit to Health Pledge! In doing so you can expect to see our out of school time participants engaging in more physical activity, learning about good nutrition, and eating healthier snacks while in attendance at JCPRD. Commit to Health is an initiative of the National Recreation and Park and Association and The Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Our staff has worked hard to develop a new food service menu that features items that are nutrient dense, low in fat, sugar, and sodium, as well as more fresh fruits and vegetables. Please support our efforts to help students develop healthy eating habits by encouraging them to be open to trying new foods and by reinforcing the benefits of nutritious diet. Healthy snacks and meals improve cognitive function, increase energy, and help children grow strong muscles and bones!
- Homework/Reading time: During snack time your child(ren) can sign up for our homework/reading time that will begin directly after snack (roughly 3:30pm) in the café. We encourage kids to sign up but do not force them. When they do sign up we do expect them to come to the room and QUIETLY do their homework or read for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Activities: Some of the clubs that kids will be able to join are: Chess, Writing, Cooking, Art & Crafts, Healthy New Year, and Engineering. As we progress through out the months, new clubs may be added.
- Outside/Gym Time: We believe it is essential for minds and bodies to have mental health breaks and join in on fitness breaks. Weather permitting we will go outside. JCPRD follows the Shawnee Mission school district’s weather policy. Please remember to have your child(ren) layer up and bring a jacket with their name labeled inside it. We will have structured activities for them to do during this time as well as free play.
- Check-Out: When you come to pick up your child(ren) please remember to WALK IN and SIGN THEM OUT. There is a late charge of a $1 per minute after 6:00pm
MCE OST Staff
Stephanie Griggs-Lead Teacher M, W, & F
Zachary Drummond-Lead Teacher T & R
Jennifer Thomas-Program Director M-F
Zachary Drummond-Lead Teacher M-F
Laryissa Jones-Lead teacher M-F
Sierra Macklin-Assistant Teacher M-F
Graham Wills-Lead Teacher M-F
Jennifer Thomas-Program Director M-F