Theme: China/Chinese New Year
Letter of the week: P-p
- Decorate a Chinese dragon, be the dragon dancers under our dragon and parade around the school on Friday, February 5th!
- Read and explore ancient Chinese culture through Chinese Folk Tales
- Activities and projects to reinforce the sound/letter connection for letter P-p
- Learning Chinese numbers 1-5
- Tangram puzzles
- For the letter P: Introduction to the concept of 1/2, 1/4 (fractions) with pizza and pie!!
- Penny Math!
- What a coincidence to have China and P for Panda week together! We will learn a lot about pandas AND periscopes, and pulleys!
- Chinese numbers 1-5
- Virtual tour of China: mountains, rivers, forests, and The Great Wall of China
- Learning about bamboo forests and pandas
February 8th- 12th and February 15th-19th
Letter of the week Q-q and R-r
- Building a rocket and going on a moon expedition!
- Introduction to the initial consonant sound "Qu". Practice recognition and writing of the letter Q-q.
- Real/imaginary? Introduction to fiction and non-fiction material about space
- Stories about quilts.
- Explore and make quilt patterns
- Learn to make patterns using 3-D cubes
- Continue exploration with the concept of half and quarter
- Introducing the coin-quarter
- Exploring quart with various shaped containers
- Planets, moon and rockets!
- Learning about reflection: exploration with mirrors, light, periscope
- Rainbow science!
Theme: Poetry/Nursery Rhymes
Letter Review: Mm-Rr
- Introduction to short poems
- Creating our own poems about seasons
- Learning familiar nursery rhymes.
- We will review concepts learned in Math and Science during letters M-R
- Depending upon the children's interest, we will delve deeper into a concept through Project Based learning! Let's see where the curious mind of PreKers take us!!
Be prepared for the Dinosaurs starting Monday, February 29th!!
Important Dates to Remember:
- Thursday, February 11th: Dismissal-11:30am. from the PreK room. NFS Siblings Carpool: Noon dismissal
Parent/Teacher conferences in the afternoon and evening
- Friday, February 12th: No school for students. Parent/Teacher conferences.
- The PreK conferences will take place in the conference room in the computer lab.
- Childcare is provided for the NFS students during your conference time. Please take your child to the PreK room prior to coming to the conference room.
- No school on Monday, February 15th. President's Day
- Field Trip: Wednesday, February 17th., 10:00am. Planetarium show at NJ State Museum, Trenton.