Tuesday, March 17th, 2020
Journaling with Me
In general, this is what each day will look like:
- 20 minutes of math iReady
- 20 minutes of reading iReady
- I know that many kids don't love these sessions. The really good thing for me is that I can track their progress remotely and the program is personalized so each student gets exactly what is needed. I will log in to iReady and see what lessons have been done and how the kids are doing. If your child complains to you that iReady is making them complete a lesson that was already done, chances are that's because the lesson was failed on the first attempt. These lessons truly have a teach piece, practice, and then a quiz. The kids also know how important the timing is. If they log off and are not at least half-way through one of the sections, they will have to redo that section of the lesson the next time they log in. That is one road block and reason why it takes kids sometimes so long to get through a lesson.
- I sent home a notebook with a list of writing prompts tucked inside for each student. I'm asking that kids tackle one of those prompts a day and write for 20 minutes. Some kids prefer typing. If that's the case, kids can open a google doc and type away. They can share it with me too and I can respond. They know how to share, but they may need help getting my email address typed in. It's firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each day a science or SS activity will be assigned. When we worked as a grade level, the teachers decided to tackle the beginning of the Revolutionary War and science review topics. I hope the youtube links don't have inappropriate commercials. :/
Sometimes the devices "glitch" as the kids call it! My only recommendation is for them to shut them down and restart. Please feel free to use that same advice.
Kids Connecting with Classmates
-log into chromebooks
-press the magnifying lens key (right above shift)
-select the gmail app
-kids might have to select their google account and put in password
-most of their classmates email addresses are last name first initial @ccsdbraves.org
ex) John Smith - email@example.com