August 31, 2018
Important Dates to Remember
- Monday, September 3rd- No School for Labor Day holiday
- Tuesday, September 4th- 1st Day of School for all Kindergarten students
- Tuesday, September 4th- SPIRIT WEAR on sale in lobby at 8:45am
- Tuesday, September 4th- Tissues and Tea 9:30am for all Kindergarten parents and new families
- Friday, September 7th- Spirit Day! Wear your school colors or spirit gear.
- Thursday, September 13th 5:00 pm-6:30pm Penny Road Elementary Open House
THIS WEEK AT A GLANCE
- Car Pool Info
- PTA Volunteer Openings
- Connect with Konstella
- Panda Helpers Needed
- Spirit Wear
- FUN RUN!
- Penny Road Pacers
- Chess Club
- Join the PTA
IMPORTANT CARPOOL INFORMATION
For everyone's safety, please review the following carpool rules:
Please do not turn left out of the Penny Road driveway during morning and afternoon carpool!
MORNING DROP OFF
- Students should only get out of the car when your car is between carpool staff members!
- Please have students exit on the right side (sidewalk side) of your car.
AFTERNOON PICK UP
- Please be aware of staff members directing traffic. Drive slowly and please refrain from talking on your cell phone.
- Parents may stand outside their car to find their children so they do not walk past the car.
If your child walks past your car and misses you, please remain in your car, proceed with the flow of traffic and let the next staff member know that you do not have your child by giving the thumbs down signal. They will direct you as to what to do next.
- Please do not allow children to walk between cars when loading. Children should enter the car from the middle of the two lanes of traffic.
- Give the staff a thumbs up if you have your child, a thumbs down if you still need your child.
- When you are loaded, please remain in your traffic line and wait to be directed to leave. Please DO NOT drive down the middle of the two lines of traffic.
Volunteers are NEEDED!
Distribution Team Member: This job is to help photocopy and sort flyers that need to be sent home in student's folders. The commitment is maybe one hour a week (sometimes less). We have a parent who has been doing this job for a few years who will show you the ropes! Email Amy Toland at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help!
Media Center Volunteers: Our Media Center, also known as the Creative Commons, needs volunteers! Mrs. Platts is seeking parents or grandparents to help with re-shelving books and doing some light clerical work. Ideally, she would like two volunteers each day. The best part is you pick the day and the time! Even 30 minutes of your week would be a huge help! Please email Sabrina Lewandowski email@example.com if you are able to help!
Board Advisory Council (BAC) parent representative: BAC meetings are lead by our school board representative Mrs.Lindsay Mahaffey. The meetings are held once a month, in the evening, and include all schools within the same district to discuss school board concerns. This is a great way to keep your finger on the pulse of what is going on with our public schools! If you are interested, please email our principal Mrs. Hoke firstname.lastname@example.org
Yearbook Editor: We are in need of a parent to coordinate this year's yearbook! The students and teachers love this tradition. Will you help us continue it? Email Amy Toland (email@example.com) with questions.
Join your child's classroom on KONSTELLA!
With school back in session, it's time to log-in to Konstella and join your student's new classroom. Konstella connects parents and keeps you in the know about what is happening at Penny Road Elementary. Sign up and explore! You'll be glad you did!
From a computer: Click your name in the top left corner. Click "Your Children" to add/modify your children's classrooms.
From the Mobile App: Click the Settings icon in the top left corner. Click "Your Children".
New Panda Helpers - Volunteer Opportunity
Thank you so much to those parents who have already helped our Pandas navigate the hallways and find their classrooms. Thank you, in advance, to those volunteers who help with this task next week!
We could still use help next week for the Kindergarten lunch. Our little Pandas eat from 11:00-11:30. During this time, you will help them open items in their lunch boxes, navigate the lunch line, pack up when they are finished or even find the bathroom. Lunchtime can be hard for our new Pandas! Please help if you are able to!
Pledging is NOW OPEN for the PENNY ROAD FUN RUN!
Penny Road GOALS
100% of families get pledges from sponsors + 5 pledges per student +
$20,000 School Profit for Teacher Giveback, School Improvements, and Technology.
The easiest way to help us reach our goals is through our easy SHARE feature on funrun.com.
• Make a Student Star video to share with Facebook Friends
• Copy and paste the email template and then send to family, friends, and local businesses
• Go to funrun.com from your mobile device, click share, and send texts to friends and family
EVERY PLEDGE COUNTS. THANK YOU!
Thank you again for your support,
Penny Road PTA
This is a short video that will give you some additional information:
PRE Pacers is back for Grades 3, 4, and 5!
Back by popular demand, the Penny Road Pacers! Do you love walking or jogging? Have you ever thought of participating in a 5k race? Then this club is for you!
This is a 6 week training clinic to learn about pacing, cross-training, stretching and healthy eating! At the end of the six weeks, those who are interested may participate in the Apex Turkey Trot!
- This club is for students in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades only.
- Pacers will meet on Thursday mornings ONLY from 8:15 to 8:45
- Dates are from Thursday, September 27th to Thursday, November 15th
The registration deadline is Friday, September 21st. We will be using Konstella for Penny Road Pacers communication. Click here for more information and to sign up. (Please make sure you are registered in your student's 3rd, 4th or 5th grade classroom to sign up for Pacers).
Questions, please contact Mrs. Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for information about the Apex Turkey Trot.
Join the PTA!
One of the easiest ways for you to support our school is to become a member of the PTA. When you join our PTA, you become a member of the North Carolina PTA. NC PTA leaders work tirelessly to advocate for our public schools! By supporting our school and the PTA, you support these advocacy efforts!
To pay your membership dues online, click HERE. (You will be directed to the MemberHub website used for NC PTA membership.)
To pay by cash or check, please download and print this form and send your payment into school. Checks are made payable to the Penny Road PTA.
If you join the Penny Road PTA AND attend our September 25th General PTA meeting, we will enter your child's name into a drawing to win a Dance Party with Penny the Panda for their class!