What is Osteogenesis Imperfecta?
Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI), also known as brittle-bone disease, is a genetic and inherited disorder characterized by fragile bones that break easily without a specific cause.
What are symptoms of Osteogenesis imperfecta?
- Bones that fracture easily
- Short stature
- Hearing loss
- Discolored, brittle teeth
- Tendency to bruise easily
- Loose joints and ligaments
It affects their life because they cant do anything physical and have to be cautious with everything.
Treatments options for Osteogenesis Imperfecta
Theres is no cure yet for this disease but ways to help you through this is by
- A surgical procedure called "rodding"
- Bisphosphonates(increase the strength and density of bone)
- Low impact exercises such as swimming
Most cases of osteogenesis imperfecta have an autosomal dominant pattern of inheritance, which means one copy of the altered gene in each cell is sufficient to cause the condition. They inherit a mutation from a parent who has the disorder.