Rouse's English I CP Newsletter
Hello, Parents. In our classroom, we recently finished our Collection 1 unit. In class on Friday, I allowed students to participate in Power of I on the test. Currently, we are working on our Collection 2 unit, as well as grammar, writing, vocabulary, and reading comprehension strategies.
Upcoming Dates and Events
· BRHS Skate Night is Oct.9th from 8:30-10:30 at Taylors Skating Rink. Cost is $5.
· BRHS Battle of the Bands is Oct.10th in the auditorium. Tickets are $3.
· BRHS Homecoming Game is October 12th.
· PowderPuff Game is Oct.15th at 7:30 p.m. in the stadium. Tickets are $3 for ages 10+, and $1 for kids 9 and under. FBLA will be selling concessions.
· Greer vs. BRHS “Canned Food Drive” - Students will bring in cans to their 1st Period teachers. You can donate canned foods or $. All food will be divided between Greer Com. Ministries, Greer Soup Kitchen, and Greer Relief. Food items will be presented during half-time of the Greer game.
· Vocabulary 1-3 Test - October 17th
· Fall Break is October 18th and 19th.
· Report Cards will be given to students on November 5th.
· Collection 2 Test will be October 23-25th.
Power of I Program
The Power of I is a program offered in English I, which allows students to have the maximum opportunity to succeed. If a student is missing an assignment, I put “M” in my gradebook, which does not count against his or her grade. However, keep in mind—that if the student fails to make up this assignment, it will eventually become a “zero” and count against him or her. Also, POI allows students to come in for tutoring and to retake 6 quizzes and 2 tests per quarter. I will announce and post which 6 quizzes and 2 tests that students can use for Power of I. So far, I offered retakes on:
· Vocabulary 1 Quiz (due date already passed)
· “The Sound of Thunder” and “Being Prey” quiz (due date already passed)
· Collection 1 Test (due date is Oct.12th)
· Vocabulary 3 Quiz (due date is Oct.16th)
My website has everything that you and your student need to be successful in my class. I wanted to point out some of the important features to you:
· On-Line Textbook - Your child can access his or her textbook on-line. The code for your child's textbook is on the Homework page.
· Homework is posted each day by 5 p.m. I also post upcoming projects, tests, and quizzes.
· Vocabulary lists (Tone, SAT, and Stems) are all listed on the website—in case your child loses his or her lists.
· Study guides for literature tests are posted on the website.
Your Child's Notebook
Please make sure that your student has his or her 3-ring binder with 5 dividers. This is a quiz grade, which is either a 0 or a 100. I want everyone to make a 100 on this quiz! Also, I assess the notebook’s content every few weeks, which is a quiz grade. I am checking to see if homework and classwork items are dated, titled, and completed.