By: Haylie English
Ernest Hemingway was born on July 21, 1898. He was a writer and published 7 novels, 6 short story collections, 1 play, and 2 non-fiction works. He died by shooting himself with his shotgun on July 2, 1961.
Mini BIO - Ernest Hemingway
interesting facts and quotes
- He was a failed KGB spy.
- He once took a urinal home from his favorite bar, saying that he had “pissed away” so much of his money into it that he owned it.
- When Ernest was born, his mother wanted another girl, so until he was 4, his mother dressed him up as girl and called him "Ernestine".
- He owned several 6 toed cats.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived that distinguish one man from another."
I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.
- By 1957, Hemingway's daily consumption of alcohol included Chianti in the boring, wine with his meals, nightcaps, and about a quart of liquor.
- He was awarded a bronze medal for his bravery under-fire in World War II.
- When he was a child, his mother kept him home from school for a year and forced him to play the cello.
- Ernest preferred to type on his typewriter and work on his feet. He only moved to shift his weight from one foot to another.
The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
- He survived 2 plane crashes.
- In his first crash, he used his head as a battering ram to break through the main door. He had a fractured skull; two cracked spine disks; his sphincter muscle paralyzed by compressed vertebrae on the iliac nerve; a dislocated right shoulder, arm, and left leg; a concussion; temporarily lost vision in his left eye and the hearing in his left eye; a crushed vertebra; ruptured liver, spleen, and right kidney; and burns on his face, arms, and leg.
- When Hemingway was 3, he killed and ate a porcupine.
- Although he drank a lot, he refused to drink while he was writing.
The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.
- Ernest was a amateur boxer in his younger years.
- Instead of attending college, he went to work at Kansas City Star newspaper.
- When his first wife was pregnant with his first child, he brought her to a bull fight in Pamplona, Spain to toughen up his unborn son.
- Hemingway's 3rd son liked to "cross dress" and call himself Gloria. This enraged the macho Hemingway.