TEKS Resource System: ESC 17
A Note from the TEKS Resource System Director, Ann Graves
Hello TEKS Resource System partners! As you reimagine education with teachers and your community, please be reassured that our curriculum continues to be a viable and valuable tool regardless of the setting in which that instruction occurs.
In responding to the Texas Home Learning (THL 3.0) and learning management system (LMS) requirements from TEA, we want you to know that your TEKS Resource System curriculum aligns with TEA mandates of TEKS-aligned content including content connections, formative and summative assessment items, and support resources. The TEKS Resource System team along with content specialists in ESCs across the state are actively aligning new resources starting with the units in the first nine weeks of school. These resources will be accessible from the TEKS Resource System home page. Additionally, we will provide a new correlation document between TEKS Resource System and THL. Both of these documents will be continually updated throughout the school year.
We understand that in these uncharted times your community will face challenges. We know your responsibilities have expanded rapidly, including learning new technology systems, creating blended and remote learning approaches, and providing new professional development. There will be many questions and unforeseen circumstances, but we will stand with you to support your teachers, students, and community.
TEKS Resource System, in collaboration with Education Service Centers, will be providing additional support to educators for both the synchronous and asynchronous learning environments by offering the following:
- TEKS Resource System Instructional Support Resources
- Texas Home Learning (THL) Correlation
- Education Service Center Support
You can click on the "Read More" button to advance to the next page.
What's in the Instructional Support Resources?
Users will click on the link to the resource they choose to use.
Gap Implementatin Tool Videos
Below are content specific videos that describe how to read, locate, and use the Gap Implementation Tools that are part of the TEKS Resource System. The TEKS Resource System Gap Implementation Tool reminds teachers to consider all previous grade level(s) standards of the last nine weeks that are aligned to the current grade level standards of the 2020-2021 school year.
Note: Since these tools highlight the standards of the previous grade level(s), there is not a Kindergarten Gap Implementation Tool. In addition, the Social Studies Gap Implementation Tool focuses on the skills found in the Thinking Like A Historian Resource since the social studies context typically changes as you move across the grade level courses.
The Math and Science videos are about 30 minutes long and the ELAR and Social Studies videos are only about 15 min long. If you need any support using the tools, please reach out to the regional ESC for your district.
Workshops, Sessions, and Updates
Carol Julian and Heather Sherrill
Use the resources on the Math page for use in your classroom. Look for the updates these as Carol and Heather create/find new ideas!! These ideas may be from previous workshops they've done or ideas from teachers like you! Feel free to download and use any of the resources they have provided!
There are NEW math documents located in the Resources folder of each mathematics grade level.
The Backward Design Document for each grade level is a single document that condenses major curriculum elements into an easily viewable grid. This document demonstrates the alignment of Overarching and Unit Understandings and Questions with Performance Assessments by unit. This "big picture" can contribute to a teacher's understanding of the course structure. It prints best on 8.5"x14" paper (legal-size).
There are also Grade Band Concepts Charts for K - 5 Mathematics, K - 5 Matemáticas, 6 - 8 Mathematics, and HS Mathematics. Each grade level chart is a collection of overarching-level concepts (macro) and unit-level concepts (micro) related to the strands of the TEKS.
- Continual review of / minor updates to curriculum components (no Year at a Glance changes)
- Continual review of / minor updates to assessment items
- Addition of 60 new Formative Assessment Items per grade level for Kindergarten - Grade 5 in both English and Spanish
- Addition of 60 new Unit Assessment Items per high school course for Algebra II, Geometry, Mathematical Models of Application, and Precalculus
- New development of 147 Unit Assessment Items for Algebraic Reasoning
- Mathematics COVID-19 Gap Implementation Tool
- Available for Grades 1 - 8, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, MMA, Precalculus, and Algebraic Reasoning
- Encourages inclusion of previous foundational understandings when appropriate throughout the year
- Designed with considerations of pre-assessing, wrapping vertically aligned grade level understandings, and spiraling of concepts prior to and after instruction to solidify foundational understandings seamlessly
- Training provided to all ESCs to better support districts (contact your local ESC regarding district trainings offered)
- Explanation of Mathematics COVID-19 Gap Implementation Tool Instructions PDF posted in Grade Level Resources
Check out these links:
K-12 Science Scoop for the latest Science updates.
Region 17 Science Resources for lots of great resources and teaching tools.
- NEW: Backward Design Documents
- Systems Biology YAGs - added B.9A to Cell Structure unit for 2020-2021 in both Macro-Micro and Micro-Macro
- DRAFT 2021-2022 Systems Biology YAG - Posted in Resource Section - moved Cell Cycle causing other units to shift
- More NEW Formative Assessment Items coming soon - Grades 6-8
- NEW IPC Unit Assessment Items for the 2020-2021 school year
- Currently calibrating formatting of all assessment items for consistency
- COVID-19 Gap Implementation Tools - available in the Resource section and linked on the applicable IFDs in the Overview and System Resources sections
- Grades 1-8 and Biology: There were no gaps from Grade 8 to IPC, Chemistry, or Physics
Social Studies Update:
- All streamlining for social studies has been completed with publishing elementary curriculum and assessment. All the standards in the system reflect streamlining. Tweaks to assessment items, curricular units, and resources like the Backward Design docs have been made to reflect streamlining changes
- All PAs have been reviewed and a few have been revised. All elementary and middle school PAs now have single-point rubrics. See the TRS Social Studies Blog entry "Introducing the Single-Point Rubric" at https://teksrusss.edublogs.org/. Secondary will come soon.
- STAAR Analysis updated with 2019 items with analysis for Grade 8 and US History
- With the cancellation of STAAR, there will be no update for 2020-21
- STAAR Blueprint and Item Percentages updated with 2019 data
- Each secondary grade level now has a resource titled "Learning Goals Planning Tool" that help break down unit understandings into learning goals that serve as an instructional guide for lesson building.
- Vocabulary flash cards are now available K-12.
- Gap Tool for Grade 1-12 demonstrating possible unfinished learning from the previous year due to COVID-19 disruptions.
- Mental Mapping resource suggesting ways to integrating mental mapping.
- Celebrate Freedom and Other Mandatory Observances resource now includes Holocaust Remembrance Week
- NCSS Notable Trade Books for Young People resource updated with 2020 trade books.
- Thinking Like a Historian Resource for all grade-levels includes a vertical alignment of K-12 social studies processes which supports the Thinking Like a Historian unit in grades 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 11
All resources are Social Studies-specific, but not all are TEKS Resource System based.
Julie Rogers (K-3)- firstname.lastname@example.org
Jerard Lafuente (4-8) - email@example.com,
Greg Reeves (High School) - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All HS ELAR curriculum components
- All first semester ELAR K-5 Performance Assessment rubrics
- ELAR & SLAR Gap Implementation Tool 1st - 6th grades (see more below)
- ELAR Grade 4 & 5 Phonics Scope and Sequence, SLAR K-Grade 3 Phonics Scope and Sequence (updated)
- SLAR Vertical YAGs (updated)
- ELAR/SLAR Performance Assessment Rubrics (mid/late fall)
- New Resources for ELAR K-8 & SLAR K-6: Backward Design Document and Conventions Alignment Tool
All workshops are RLA-specific, but not all are TEKS Resource System based.
Kindergarten-5th Grade ELAR Phonics Scope and Sequence Posted
The addition of the Phonics Scope and Sequence has caused minor changes to the YAG, TVD, and IFDs. Those changes can be found in the Revisions section on the Home Page.
New High School ELAR Curriculum Documents are LIVE!
These can be found in High School ELAR through the Quick Search on the TEKS Resource System home page.
Choose your "High School Courses", English Language Arts and Reading, and select the course you teach. Next, click on <Search>.
Select the TEKS Resource System Component you wish to view.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Getting Started
- Video Tutorials
- System Management
- Curriculum & Resources
- System Tools
- TCMPC Videos
- Frequently Asked Questions.
Tools to Use:
Year At A Glance Planner- This interactive planner helps you map out each six-week period. Adjust your instructional time according to the events occurring at your campus and district.
Region 17 TEKS Resource System
For a complete State-Wide TEKS Resource System newsletter, click HERE.