October 7 - 11
EARLY DISMISSAL - FRIDAY, October 11
Longs Creek Families -
October is jam-packed full of exciting things for our students and community! This past week we had a great turnout at the Mr. Gatti's Spirit Night, and our Movie Night was also a huge success. 4th Grade did an outstanding job at our first PTA performance of the year, and we had a Bike Rodeo Assembly so our students would know what to expect this Wednesday morning.
Our custodians were floored by the generosity so many of you demonstrated in honor of National Custodian Day, and we were able to showcase our first two Super Star Students of the Month (NEISD's new way to recognize super students -- different from our Cowboys of the Month).
We have A LOT of exciting events coming up, and quite a few deadlines and reminders that are new in this newsletter. Please be sure to read through it so you and your family are aware of everything that is going on here at Longs Creek!
Thank you for sharing your children with us!
Amy Copes, Principal
This week we have our Bike Rodeo on Wednesday! Here are a few reminders:
- Bikes need to be dropped off in the back of the school, not brought through the front
- On Wednesday, there will be no parking in the back parking lots
Cowboy Code of Conduct Reminder:
- Keep hands and feet to yourself. We’ve had a little rise in this area, so please remind them of this one. We have been having conversations about this on our end as well.
Thank you for all you do!
Bryan Silvia, Assistant Principal
Bike Rodeo on October 9
Please remember, the schedule below is only an approximate schedule. There are many variables including the weather and the number of participants, so it is impossible to determine the exact time for each grade level. We encourage you to allow plenty of time before and after the approximate time frames in order to guarantee watching your child participate.
Super Star Students of the Month
Hello Longs Creek Families!
Our first classroom guidance lessons have wrapped up and now we are getting ready for the second lesson and lunch bunch groups to take place. Our first lesson for K-2 was reintroducing ourselves to the students and explaining our roles to them. For the 3-5 grade levels we briefly introduced ourselves and our roles and talked about Responsibility with them focusing on Blame/Excuses versus Problem-Solving and what that looks like and sounds like. The next lesson will focus on Respect for all grade levels, including respect for ourselves and being Drug Free for Red Ribbon Week.
Speaking of Red Ribbon Week, Longs Creek will be celebrating the week of October 21st-25th. This year’s national theme is “Send a Message, Stay Drug Free!” During this week, we will make appearances on the morning announcements to connect the day’s theme to the message we want the students to remember. This year’s Red Ribbon Week theme days are:
- Monday, October 21– “Dreaming About Being Drug Free” Wear school appropriate pajamas.
- Tuesday, October 22 – “Lei off Drugs" Wear Hawaiian or colorful/tropical school appropriate clothing.
- Wednesday, October 23 – “Team up Against Drugs" Wear your favorite team or Longs Creek spirit gear.
- Thursday, October 24 – “Proud to be Drug Free” Wear red in support of Red Ribbon Week.
- Friday, October 25– “Peace Out, Drugs!” Wear 70’s, tie-dye, peace sign school appropriate clothes.
If you ever have any questions, comments or concerns about anything please feel free to reach out to us and we will be happy to help you in any way we can.
Mrs. Jankowski & Mrs. Kubala
Square 1 Art is Back!
Square 1 Art was very successful last year, because of the keepsake the artwork becomes. Don't miss out on another special keepsake!
All art submissions are due to the Front Office no later than October 10.
For art ideas and more information, visit https://shop.square1art.com/Shop/view-all-products
WANTED: Reading Buddies!
Have some extra time? Want to help build a child’s confidence as a reader? Longs Creek is looking for parent volunteers to sit with a student at least once a week and listen to them read for 15 minutes. All you have to do is show up and be supportive! If this interests you please complete the NEISD background check by following this link, and contact email@example.com with the days and times you are available. Thank you for helping our Longs Creek Cowboys grow as readers and leaders!
Instructional Interventionist Teacher
Longs Creek Elementary
Super Hero Day - October 17
Reflections Entries - Due October 25
Storybook Character Day
This is Halloween Day, but please remember no treats are allowed to be sent in for students. We are allowed two days during the school year when students may receive treats, and those days are our Holiday Party and Valentine's Day Party.
If you need a paper copy, please contact your child's teacher.
Free and Reduced Price Meals
If your child was approved for a free or reduced price meal last school year, their benefits will remain for the first 30 days of this school year. However, In order to continue the benefits past October 1, 2019, an application must be resubmitted.
Box Tops for Education
Procedures & Routines
All campuses in NEISD are equipped with a buzzer sytem at the front door that allows us to closely monitor visitors. Each day at 8:05, the doors will be locked, and all visitors will need to press the buzzer. The front office will ask to see an ID before allowing anyone into the building. There are no exceptions to this, and we thank you in advance for helping us ensure the safety of our students.
- The cafeteria is open for breakfast from 7:15 - 7:50. Please do not drop off students prior to 7:15, as we are not adequately staffed to supervise them until that time.
- Students who arrive after 8:05 MUST BE WALKED INTO SCHOOL WITH AN ADULT.
- All car riders should be dropped off in the BACK parking lot and enter through the cafeteria.
- Carpool and daycare riders should drop off and pick-up in the front.
- The front lot is for picking up our daycare and for carpool (3+) students. Bike riders will also be dismissed out the front of the building.
- The back lot is used for walkers, car riders, and bus riders.
- All vehicles must have a bright yellow car rider sign to pick up students. See your child's teacher or the front office if you need a sign.
- Please use the crosswalks when crossing the streets and parking lots to esure your safety and the safety of our students.
- San Antonio is a Hands Free Zone, so please do not use your phone when driving through the drop-off and pick-up lines.
- Please adhere to handicap parking laws and leave those spaces available.
- 7:15 Supervision begins
- 7:15 - 7:50 Breakfast
- 8:00 School begins
- 8:05 Tardy Bell (Must walk students into the building)
- 3:15 School ends
STUDENT SIGN OUT:
If you need to sign-out your child early, please do so before 3:00. After this time we are in transition as we prepare for dismissal.
CHANGE IN DISMISSAL:
Please make sure you email your child's teacher or send a written note if there will be a change in dismissal plans for your child. If we do not have this in writing, your child will be sent home the way he or she normally goes home.
Parking Lot Safety
- In the back, our car riders exit their vehicles at the orange cones -AFTER THE CROSSWALK-
- In the front, our carpool and daycare students exit the vehicle next to the front of the school.
- Please do not allow students to exit their vehicles in the parking lot area at the front of the school.
- Please do not park in the unloading lane in front of the school; if you would like to walk your child into school, please use the back parking lot.
- Please utilize hands-free devices when driving on our campus.
Thank you so much for helping us keep our students safe!
Meals for Shields
North East ISD is launching a new program that offers a free lunch to area officers visiting a District elementary school. The Meals for Shields program will provide a free, nutritious meal to any officer who is willing to sit down and eat lunch with students.
North East ISD Chief of Police Wallace McCampbell says this program is designed to help improve community relations. “We want to show the kids that the officers are their friends,” said McCampbell. “We want to make them safe and we want them to be able to come to us when they have a question or a problem.”
If an officer wants to participate they must be in uniform when they check in at the front office. After that, they will head to the cafeteria where they will enter the lunch line with the students and eat together.
Follow the link below for athletic schedules for Madison High School.
Kona Ice is Here!
The next Kona Ice day is scheduled for Friday, October 18.
Welcome Longs Creek Families! One of the best ways to be involved in your child’s academic career is to be a member of the PTA….and you can do that today. The Longs Creek Elementary PTA invites you, your student(s), and your family to join us in making a difference in the education and quality of life for every child as we “Back the Future.”
With you, your student, and families’ membership of $7.00 each, you help provide many sponsored programs and events for the Longs Creek Elementary Community.
Visit www.JoinPTA.org and join online (small processing fee applies).
Stay up to date by liking our Facebook page: “Longs Creek Elementary PTA” or by accessing our website www.longscreek-pta.org.
If you have questions about PTA or your benefits, please contact our PTA Membership Chair, Elizabeth “Liz” Brown, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do You Want to Volunteer?
Go to www.neisd.net
Click "Become a Volunteer"
Click "How Do I Register to be a Volunteer?"
Complete the online form and click on "Submit"
Thank you to all of our volunteers!
October 9 - Bike Rodeo
October 11 - Early Release
October 11 - Kids Heart Challenge
October 14 - Student Holiday
October 14 - 18 National School Lunch Week
October 17 - Superhero Day
October 21 - 25 - Book Fair
October 21 - 25 - Red Ribbon Week
October 23 - 24 - Early Release
October 31 - Book Character Day
November 5 - PTA (3rd Grade Performance)
November 6 - College and Career Shirt Day
November 25 - 29 - Thanksgiving Holidays (no school)
December 3 - PTA (All Stars Performance)
December 4 - College and Career Shirt Day
December 23 - January 3 - Christmas Break
January 8 - College and Career Shirt Day
February 4 - PTA (2nd Grade Performance)
February 5 - College and Career Shirt Day
March 3 - Academic Enrichment Night
March 4 - College and Career Shirt Day
March 9 - 13 - Spring Break
April 1 - College and Career Shirt Day
April 7 - PTA (1st Grade Performance)
April 7 - STAAR Testing (5th Grade Math & 4th Grade Writing)
April 8 - STAAR Testing (5th Grade Reading)
April 9 - STAAR Testing (4th Grade Hyper-Accelerated Math)
April 10 - No School (Good Friday)
May 6 - College and Career Shirt Day
May 12 - STAAR Testing (3rd & 4th Grade Math)
May 12 - STAAR Testing (5th Grade Hyper-Accelerated Math)
May 13 - STAAR Testing (3rd & 4th Grade Reading)
May 14 - STAAR Testing (5th Grade Science)
May 28 - Last Day of School