Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
Can you believe that we have just about made it to the end of the year?
When some schools are still in a full-time remote learning platform, we returned our students to in-person learning for most of the year. I cannot thank our students, parents, teachers, custodians, and bus drivers enough for our success. We were not perfect. We have missed some of the traditional events of the school year. We have missed phone calls, emails and have been behind on grading. Still, our staff has overcome long nights and weekends planning and grading, cleaning desks, providing masks, and doing things that have never been asked of educators before. I cannot be more proud of our staff and the outcome of our school year!
I am excited to let everyone know that our Annual Red Carpet Awards will take place this year but will look different. Over weekends in May, students recognized by their teacher will be receiving yard signs celebrating outstanding academic achievement at Irons. Thank you, Hawks, for your hard work and dedication to your academic success.
The month of May will be busy and with STAAR Testing and final exams. Please ensure your children are on time and attend school daily. Missed days now will be hard to recover from with our busy schedule.
CISD will offer summer school from June 7th to June 25th.
There will be NO COST for students attending credit recovery summer school (students who did not pass a class).
- Summer school session 1 - 8:00am to 9:50am Monday through Friday.
- Summer school session 2 - 10:00am to 12:00pm Monday through Friday.
- Summer School will take place at Knox Jr. High.
Parents, we need your help. We see a high level of absenteeism on Monday and Friday. If your child is not sick or in quarantine, please have them attend school daily. Currently, we are running an 89 percent attendance rate on Friday and Monday while we run a 96.5 percent attendance rate in the middle of the week. Attendance impacts learning. Please do your part and send your child to school every day.
- Chromebooks and hotspots for students attending school in person are past due. Please return those, along with their chargers, to the library. Remote students will need to return their devices on May 26th or 27th.
- Students with outstanding technology will be assessed a fee and a hold placed on the student account to limit future schedule pickup, future athletic tickets, and future technology checkouts. Please contact Mrs. Lundberg email@example.com for more information.
- STAAR assessments start next week. All students in attendance on STAAR days will take the assessment.
- Please Pick up all medication from our school nurse by 5/26/21 or it will be disposed.
- Please encourage your child to wear face coverings throughout the school day. We will continue to do our part to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
If your child is sick, please keep them home. If your child is exposed to or positive for COVID-19, please reach out to Irons at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can provide the appropriate support and make the required notifications.
Students and parents, you will find information concerning ORHS Athletic information night, ORHS Sports Camps, STAAR testing schedule, final exam schedule, and our last Irons Spirit Night of the year below.
I know everyone is tired and excited about summer, but let's finish strong and set the tone for an incredible 21-22 school year!
Irons Jr. High Principal
We Are Hawks!
STAAR Testing Information
Algebra 1 EOC- Tuesday, May 4th. Only for those students currently enrolled in Algebra 1.
8th Grade Science - Thursday, May 6th.
8th Grade Social Studies - Friday, May 7th.
7th & 8th Grade Math - Tuesday, May 11th.
7th & 8th Grade Reading - Wednesday, May 12th.
- Students should arrive to campus no later than 8:45am.
- All testing materials (pencil, testing booklet, etc) will be provided.
- Students will be eating lunch at school. They can bring their own lunch or obtain one from the cafeteria. Currently, lunch is free for all students.
- Remote students may be picked up after testing is complete which should be around 1:30pm.
- If a student needs bus transportation, a student must be registered at least 5 days in advance. https://www.conroeisd.net/transportation/
- Buses will only transport students home at the end of the day and students will be required to stay on campus all day unless parents can pick up the student.
- Remote students may be in a room with students that are not remote, however, all students are required to follow our current safety protocols.
- All students that do not attend on their scheduled test days will be scheduled for a make-up session.
- Make-up Days: May 13th.
If your child is a remote student and is currently served under Special Education, 504, or ESL and has the online testing accommodation in their plan, have them click the link below for the online tutorial to familiarize themselves with the online STAAR platform.
If you have any specific questions regarding STAAR testing, please contact our testing coordinator, Rachel Moore, at RRmoore@conroeisd.net or 936-709-8545.
Last Spirit Night of the Year May 13th at Crust Pizza!!
Oak Ridge High School is very excited to announce they we will have an Incoming 9th Grade War Eagle Athlete informational meeting on May 12th at 6:00pm. This meeting is for every incoming 9th grader who wants to play ANY SPORTS at ORHS. It is a great chance to meet the coaches of all the sports.
5/4 Algebra 1 EOC(Make-up 5/5)
5/6 8th Science
5/7 8th Social Studies
5/11 7th & 8th Math
5/12 7th & 8th Reading
5/20-5-26 Semester Exams
5/26 Last Day of School
6/1-6/3 Summer GT Testing Opportunity
Irons Spring Semester Exam Schedule 20-21
From Our Counselors
Parents of 7th-grade remote students,
Please have your student check his/her course registration list of courses for the upcoming 8th grade school year. Students will log in to the SSO, student access account, and find the courses under Student Plans/JHS Requests. If any changes are needed, please send an email to the counselor.
In-person students will receive a hard copy of the requested courses.
The final deadline for all schedule changes is May 3rd.
We are here to help if you have any questions.
Melissa Thetford (Last names A-G)
Sandra Mikush (Last names H-N)
Cindy Burgess (Last names O-Z)