Reiki for Yourself
The Healing Room at Heartspace
Module Fifteen - 60 minutes
Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is done by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
In Japanese, the word "rei" refers to a higher intelligence that permeates all living and nonliving entities and guides the inherent functioning of the universe. The word "ki" refers to the nonphysical energy that flows through everything that is alive, including plants, animals, and human beings—because of this, ki is also often called "life force energy," and is known as qi or chi from other lineages. The combination of these two words is what defines reiki as "spiritually guided life-force energy."
Imagine feeling a wonderful glowing radiance that flows through and around you. Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit - creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and wellbeing.
Reiki is a simple, natural and safe method of spiritual healing and self-improvement that everyone can use. It creates a beneficial effect that can ease and improve one's reaction to any illness or concern. It works in conjunction with all other medical or therapeutic techniques to relieve side effects, promote recovery, improve health, and enhance quality of life.
In the Healing Room, you are encouraged to apply this healing life force energy to yourself and any burdened parts you have discovered in your healing journey.
Self-Healing with Reiki
The Healing Room environment is prepared for giving and receiving love and nurturing.
Before you begin your Reiki self healing, you can center yourself using the three Kanji hand positions:
- Position #1 - Sitting or standing if you wish, place the tips of your index fingers together interlacing the rest of the fingers on both hands. Close your eyes for about 30 seconds and focus on your Reiki point - about 2 inches bellow your navel.
- Position #2 - Same as above, but your middle fingers are touching. The rest of the fingers are interlaced. Hold the position for about 30 seconds and envision your Reiki point being filled with bright white healing light.
- Position #3 - All of your fingers are intertwined. Hold this for 30 seconds and allow energy to flow freely through your body.
Sit or lie down in a comfortable position. You can put the yoga bolster underneath your knees if you are lying down. Cover yourself with the towel from the loveseat if you are feeling a little cold.
Turn your attention inward and begin to scan your body. Start with your head and scan all the way through down to your toes. What do you sense in each part of your body?
Is there any tension?
- Can you let go of the tension?
- Do you feel pain in some parts of your body?
- Can you let go of wanting to change it?
- Can you accept this present moment for what it is?
- Now that you are centered and ready for healing, you can begin giving yourself Reiki.
*To combine this with healing your parts, look through your index cards from EFT, any Parts Work modules, or your individual therapy appointments and select a part or group of parts you wish to provide healing to. Parts often affect specific areas of the body.
There are 15 hand positions for Reiki self healing. With practice, you will remember these positions and will be able to move from one position to the next with ease. Hold each position for two to five minutes (whatever feels best for you).
If you find a certain position uncomfortable, feel free to skip the position. Also, if you find a position very beneficial, you can stay longer in the position. It is up to you, and with practice you will learn to listen to your body and your inner guide.
- Position #1 - Place your hands over your face, fingers at the top of the forehead with the hands touching.
- Position #2 - Place your hands on top of your head, fingertips touching.
- Position #2b - Alternate position to #2 - Place your hands over your ears, cupping them gently.
- Position #3 - Place your hands on the back of your head, the base of your palms at the base of the skull.
- Position #4 - Place your right hand over your throat and your left hand over your heart.
- Position #5 - Place both hands over your shoulders close to your neck.
- Position #6 - Place both of your hands with fingers touching over your upper abdomen, just bellow the rib cage.
- Position #7 - Place your hands over your abdomen with fingers touching at the navel.
- Position #8 - Place your hands over your lower abdomen, fingertips over the pubic bone.
- Position #9 - Place your hands over your lower back with your fingertips touching.
- Position #10 - Place your hands over your lower back with your fingertips over the sacrum.
- Position #11 - Hold your left foot with both your hands.
- Position #12 - Hold your right foot with both your hands.
- Position #13 - Hold your right foot with right hand and left foot with left hand.
- Position #13b - Hold your right foot with left hand and left foot with right hand.
Reiki self healing is simple and you should always feel comfortable while holding these positions. If you can't hold your feet for example, you can send Reiki long distance. You don't have to have direct contact with your body. Just aim your palms towards your feet and concentrate as if you were holding them.
You can also concentrate on your chakra system and balance your seven chakras. Reiki is often used in chakra healing and balancing.
Alternating Bilateral Stimulation
Remember, The Healing Room is set up with a stereo system that can provide audible Alternating Bilateral Stimulation (ABS) which is a component of EMDR therapy (Eye-Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing). The unique Alternating Bilateral Stimulation sample played continuously in The Healing Room is called Ocean Crossover and mimics ocean waves moving back and forth across the room at a gentle low volume in the background. It has a relaxing effect and supports the neural integration of new perspectives and healing of negatively charged memories, particularly when it is paired with specific tasks.
*Having the ABS playing at a volume loud enough to hear it, but low enough that it seems to fade into the background while you learn these skills, is optimal.
Take Your Time/Repeat
Providing feedback in the private group blog at www.healingroom.space will help us make modifications in estimated time, and improve the overall experience of using The Healing Room.