Monday Morning Message
Glen Burnie High School Social Studies Department, April 10
Last Day of 3rd MP
Believe it or not, the fourth marking period begins tomorrow! Remember, today is a half day, with the afternoon expected to be spent on updating grade books and making any necessary parent contacts. As per Mr. Manbeck's e-mail last week, your grade verifications are due not later than Friday, April 15.
Make sure that you are aware of your responsibilities for the upcoming PARCC exams next week. Review the e-mail from Ms. Fererra detailing the duties for each day, and where students will be meeting if their normal room is impacted by testing.
Finally, I will be placing one last Office Depot order Thursday, so if there is anything outside the ordinary that you need, please let me know. I will stock up on Scantrons for the rest of the year. I will also purchase a variety of posters to make available to everyone for the new rooms next year!
April 11-End of 3rd MP, 2 Hour Early Dismissal
April 15-Grade Verifications Due
April 12-Start 4th MP (!!!!)
April 19-Report Card Distribution
April 21-Monthly Dept Meeting
April 26-SCHOOLS CLOSED FOR PRIMARIES (Vote Early and Vote Often)
April 27-Professional Development, 2 Hour Early Dismissal
Gopher Flex Schedule
Things to Know
1. The College & Career Expo will be held tomorrow, Tuesday, April 12 in the main gym. Students will be attending based on their 3A Lunch Schedule.
D Lunch will attend from 10:30-11:00
A Lunch will attend from 11:00-11:30
B Lunch will attend from 11:30-12:00
C Lunch will attend from 12:00-12:30
2. Please review the HSA and Senior Exams schedule sent out by Ms. Hartford.
3. Continue to work towards students mastery of your SLOs! The Post conference window is May 2-13.
SLO Timeline (With Extensions)
-May 2-13: SLO #2 Post-Conferencing Window -- ALL DATA due and finished
**You may request to meet with Ms. Berner any time between now and the Post-Conferencing Window for
4. -Do you teach 10th grade? Make sure that your students have some experience with how to use PARCC software before they take the PARCC test, beginning Tuesday, April 19. It's especially important for Social Studies that our students know how to highlight text in readings on the computer to support ELA. You can use laptops or Chromebooks in your room, or book lab time.
Online Student Tutorials: http://parcc.pearson.com/tutorial/
Online Practice Tests: http://parcc.pearson.com/practice-tests/
5. PARCC Testing Schedule
Tuesday, April 19 (Period 1)
English 10 Unit 1
Wednesday, April 20 (Period 1 & 2)
English 10 Units 2 and 3
Thursday, April 21 (Period 1 & 2)
Algebra I Units 1 and 2
Friday, April 22 (Period 1)
Algebra I Unit 3
Question for the Week
Ideas for the April look for to increase the “student talk” within your classroom:
a. 4 Corners b. Philosophical Chairs c. Socratic Seminars d. Minute Speeches e. Jigsaw reading with expert groups f. Collaborative study session
College and Career Information
1. To date, 97% of the AVID seniors have been accepted to one or more 4 year colleges and a combined total of over $788,000.00 have been offered by colleges, scholarships, and FAFSA grants
2. Our 5th Annual College/Career Expo sponsored by Signature and AVID will take place during 3rd period in the main gym on April 12th –schedules were sent last week
3. An AVID & Signature fieldtrip to UMES and Salisbury will take place on April 14th, students will meet in the lobby at 7:10 and return around 3:00
4. On April 14th seniors interested in attending AACC can take the ACCUPLACER test at GB-a signup sheet is in the Guidance Office
5. Two more “On the Spot Admissions” have been scheduled on April 21 and 22nd for Bowie and Morgan, please have seniors sign up in Guidance
6. Another college presentation day is in the works for late May/early June by none other than our very own recent graduates - more info. will be available later this month
Please help spread the word:
A. The school-wide outreach for creating Refugee Welcome kits will officially begin on April 18th and run through the 29th - each 1A class will collect designated items to help the World Relief nonprofit co.-a flier will be in your mailbox this week with more details
b. We are getting ready to move into phase 3 of our Mission Statement revision but are still in need of student and parent input across the community
1. If you wish to be part of the Mission Revision, please join the AVID Site Team on May 10th in B201 at 2:15
2. If you have easy access to computers, please ask students to provide their feedback on the mission statement and ideas for classes/activities they feel will help prepare students for life after high school. This is the same Survey Monkey we are asking parents to comment on. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TXW6L9V
WICOR Electronic Portfolio
On April 13th, Cici and I will be participating in the countywide AVID-Expo at Central Office. We will share the GBHS WICOR portfolio with various teachers, Central Office Staff, and other invited guests. The WICOR portfolio will be comprised of various WICOR artifacts submitted from faculty and staff as well as data from our school wide WICOR Pilot. If you have any WICOR items to share, please give them to Cici and I so we can show off our student samples of rigorous work.