LS-H Middle/High School Newsletter
October 6, 2020
Good Afternoon LS-H Middle/High School Families,
Thank you for an outstanding first month of the 2020-2021 school year! Our students have done a fantastic job of adapting to the Hybrid Learning Scenario. We will continue to monitor and adjust as we move throughout the school year as needed. Please contact your child(ren)'s teachers or the school office if you have any questions or feedback. We appreciate hearing your ideas and being able to clarify any questions you might have. I would also like to thank all of our LS-H Middle/High School staff members who have gone over and above to provide a high quality education for our students this year. This includes our secretaries, paraprofessionals, food service staff, custodians, and teachers who all share the mission of guaranteeing growth for EVERY student at LS-H Middle/High School. Please join me by thanking school staff members for the countless hours they have devoted to making this year a success!
Le Sueur-Henderson Middle/High School
Attendance @ LS-H Middle/High School
- All students in grades 6-12, must log into the Infinite Campus Student Portal by 10:00 AM each day they attend school virtually to enter their attendance.
- Students engaged in Distance Learning will need to enter their attendance in the Student Portal everyday by 10:00 AM.
- Parents: Please log in to the Parent Portal to review your child(ren)'s attendance.
- Please contact Pam Mediger at (507) 665-5801 or firstname.lastname@example.org to report any days your child engaged in school, but may have been marked absent.
- We will begin providing automated phone calls to parents on Wednesday, Oct. 7 when a child has an unexcused absence reported.
- As indicated on the Distance Learning Schedule for Fridays, all students in grades 6-12 are required to attend their Advisory class from 9:30-9:50 AM.
- We appreciate your partnership in keeping accurate attendance records in the Hybrid Learning Scenario!
MEA Schedule Update
- Elementary students will attend school In-Person on Wednesday, Oct. 14.
- Secondary students (Grades 6-12) will engage in Distance Learning on Wednesday, Oct. 14.
- All LS-H students will follow a 2 Hour Early Release schedule as indicated on the school calendar.
- LS-H Middle/High School students will follow the "2 Hour Early Out - Distance Learning Day" schedule on 10/14.
Week At A Glance Reminder
Middle School: A grade level "At A Glance" document will be posted on the LS-H Middle/High School website at 9:00 AM on Mondays.
High School: "At A Glance" documents will be posted on all Google Classroom pages by 9:00 AM on Monday mornings. Students are expected to check each of their classroom pages to create their schedule each week.
Emergency Medical Responder Course
- We are excited to begin offering an Emergency Medical Responder class at LS-H High School this year!
- This course allows students to become a certified Emergency Medical Responder and receive training on a wide range of healthcare topics.
- On October 20, a North Air Care Medical Helicopter will be landing on the practice football field at LS-H High School as part of an educational opportunity.
- Our EMR students will learn how to secure a landing zone and will be given a tour of the helicopter.
- The flight medics will also be doing a brief presentation on how first responders play a critical role in patient care during an emergency from the initial care at the scene, through transport (flight or ambulance).
- We wanted to inform you that the medical helicopter landing on Oct. 20 will be for an educational opportunity, not to respond to an emergency situation.
School Nurse Update
A Note from the School Nurse:
Thank you to all for your cooperation and support as we continue to navigate this new normal within our schools. Please continue to utilize the MN Department of Health documents when deciding if your child is well enough to attend school and make sure to have a “plan” for those days that your child is not well enough to attend school - Decision Tree/Decision Tree(SP); Attendance Guide/Attendance Guide (SP); Home Screening Tool/Home Screening Tool (SP).
If your student becomes ill and you obtain an alternative diagnosis or a COVID-19 test, we are requesting that parents provide a copy of that document (ie. After Visit Summary, MD note, copy/screenshot of test results) upon them returning to school. It is also asked that you continue to maintain close communication with the schools; it is imperative that we all work together during this time, please answer and return phone calls from the school in a timely manner. Lastly, if your child is ill or is sent home from school it is the parent’s responsibility to notify others that may be involved in the care of that child, ie. transportation/bus service, after school program, athletic team/club, KidsClub. Again, thank you for your continued support and understanding; may we all work together to ensure the safety and health of our students and staff.
This year, related to the pandemic there has been a decrease seen in the number of school aged kids receiving their required immunizations. Please remember, there are certain immunizations required of 7th grade students. If your child has not received their needed immunizations contact your healthcare provider to set up an appointment.
Molly Thelemann, LSN
MDH Attendance Guide for Parents and Families
Picture Retake Day at LS-H Middle/High School
- Picture retakes have been rescheduled to October 19th from 12:00 - 4:30 PM.
- All students, including Distance Learning students, are invited to have their photo retaken on Oct. 19th.
LS-H MS/HS Activities Update
We are excited that student activities have resumed this Fall and would like to encourage as many students as possible to be involved in our extracurricular offerings!
- Football, Volleyball, Fall Play, Cross Country, and Tennis have begun.
- Tickets to attend Varsity football games will not be available to the public.
- Section passes for Varsity football have been made available to players and their families.
- Fans are welcome at all B Squad and Middle School football games.
- Thank you in advance for following social distancing guidelines when attending outdoor events at LS-H Middle/High School.
- At this time, MSHSL guidelines have stated that fans are not allowed at any indoor event, including volleyball matches.
- Please contact Christy Smykalski, Activities Secretary, with any questions about our extracurricular offerings.
Student Locker Update
- Thank you to all of our students for remaining patient while not having access to a school locker at the beginning of the school year.
- Beginning on Oct. 19, students will have access to a school locker to store personal items such as jackets and lunch bags.
- Students will still be expected to carry their backpacks from class to class, but may visit their locker before school, before/after lunch periods, and after school.
- Students are reminded that they are not allowed to congregate at school lockers and must follow all social distancing guidelines in the Hybrid Learning Scenario.
- Locker numbers and combinations will be visible on student schedules in the Infinite Campus Student Portal beginning Oct. 14th.
7 Mindsets Social/Emotional Learning Curriculum
- We are excited to incorporate the 7 Mindsets social/emotional learning curriculum at LS-H Middle/High School this year!
- All 6-12 students will have one 7 Mindsets lesson each week.
- Middle School students will engage in 7 Mindsets lessons during their Social Studies class.
- High School students will engage in 7 Mindsets lessons during their English/Language Arts class.
- 7 Mindsets is an important addition to our overall curriculum and was made possible by a grant received through the Prairie Care Child & Family Fund.
LS-H Homecoming 2020
We are thrilled to celebrate Homecoming 2020 at LS-H Middle/High School on October 5-9th!
Dress Up Days
Monday: Holiday Day
Tuesday: Country vs. Country Club Day
Wednesday: PJ Day
Thursday: Class Color Day
Friday: Spirit Day
Grade 6: Yellow
Grade 7: Green
Grade 8: Red
Grade 9: White
Grade 10: Grey
Grade 11: Pink
Grade 12: Black
Application for Educational Benefits
- Your child(ren) may qualify for free or reduced-price school meals.
- To apply, complete the Application for Educational Benefits for attached below.
- We ask that all families submit an application each year as they must be renewed on an annual basis.
- Your application also helps Le Sueur-Henderson Schools qualify for education funding and discounts. State funds help to pay for reduced-price school meals, so all students who are approved for either free or reduced-price school meals will receive school meals at no charge. State funds also help to pay for breakfasts for kindergarten students, so all participating kindergarten students will receive breakfasts at no charge.
- Return your completed Application for Educational Benefits to: Juanita Flores, ISD 2397, 115 North 5th Street, Suite 200, Le Sueur, MN 56058.
Career Corner Newsletter - South Central Workforce Council
- The South Central Workforce Council has created a newsletter to provide valuable career and employment information to students and their families.
- This resource includes Industry Specific Infographics, Demand Occupations in South Central MN, “College isn’t the Only Option” video, career & employment resources, MVAC’s youth employment program, networking tips and more.
- Career Corner Newsletter
Daily Student Health Screening
- Please continue to complete your child(ren)'s required daily health screening before attending school in-person.
Use the MDH Decision Tree linked above to screen your child for symptoms prior to sending your child to school on an in-person day.
MDH Home Screening Tool - English
MDH Home Screening Tool - Spanish
By sending your child to school, each parent is verifying that he/she/they has passed the passive LS-H Student Screening Procedure and does not exhibit symptoms of COVID-19.
Students and staff will be expected to remain home if they do not pass their daily screening.
Remember to notify the school of your child(ren)’s absence. If related to COVID-19, please call (507) 602-0308 and leave a detailed message with the student's name, grade, symptoms they are experiencing and test status/results.
If it is found that your child exhibits symptoms consistent with COVID-19 you will be contacted and expected to pick-up your child (and any other students from your household) from school within 30 minutes of being notified.
Daily Schedules for Hybrid and Distance Learning
Infinite Campus Parent/Student Portal
Please refer to the following document to assist with logging into and updating information on Campus Portal. The "forgot username" and "forgot password" features on our district's Campus Portal can also be used if you are having difficulty logging in. Further support can be found by contacting the LS-H Middle/High School Office at (507) 665-5800 or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Middle/High School Contact Information
Brian Thorstad, Principal (507) 665-5803
Jeff Christ, Dean of Students/Activities Director (507) 665-5804
Pam Mediger, Attendance Secretary (507) 665-5801
Christy Smykalski, Activities/Counseling Secretary (507) 665-5805