Animal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
What is the ASPCA
• It is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing cruelty to animals.
• Based in New York City since inception in 1866, the organization's mission is "To provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States"
How does the ASPCA help the stray animal population
Facts about U.S. Animal Shelters
*Approximately 7.6 million animals are in shelters nation wide each year. 3.9 million are dogs. 3.4 million are cats.
*2.7 million animals are euthanized each year 1.2 million are dogs 1.4 million are cats.
*2.7 million animals are adopted each year 1.4 million are dogs 1.3 million are cats.
*649,000 are returned to their owners 542,000 are dogs 100,000 are cats.
*Dogs-35%-adopted,31%-euthanized, and 26%-are returned to their owners.
*Cats-37%-adopted,41%-euthanized, and 5% are returned to their owners.
*70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats are owned in the U.S.
*34-47% households have a dog 30-37% have a cat.
*According to the American Veterinary Medical Association approximately 40% of pet owners learn about their pets through word of mouth.
*More than 35% of cats are acquired as strays.
*It's impossible to determine how many stray animals live in the U.S. estimated for alone range up to 70 million.
*On average cats have four to six kittens per litter it's the same for dogs.
*Owned cats and dogs normally live longer and healthier lives than strays.
*Did you know that spaying/neutering costs less then raising a litter of puppies or kittens.
What is the adoption process in the ASPCA
• You must be 21 years old to adopt from the ASPCA.
• Valid ID needs to be available at the purchase; proof of a current address such as a cable bill needs also to be available at the time of purchase.
• When checked out you might be asked these possible questions personal reference that is reachable by phone.
• You might also check your building policy to make sure that they allow animals in your building.
*A leash, A collar, and a carrier all come with it.
*Your animal will be spayed/neutered when it comes to you, also your animal will all be up to date on all shots and medical procedures.
*Literature and information about your chosen animal will come with you.
*You may also receive a personalized identification tag with your collar.
*Cats three years of age and older are free with a walk-in adoption.
*Cats four months to three years are $75.
*Kittens four months and younger are about $125.
*Dogs range anywhere between $75-$125 (smaller dogs normally have a higher price)
*Puppies have to take a mandatory training class with a cost of $50.
*NYC residents have to pay a extra $8.50 for a DOH dog license.
*(American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.) Wikipedia.org N.P, 27 April 2016. Web. April 26
*(Aspca Adoption Center.) aspca.org. N.P.,N.D. Web. April 27
*(Pet Statics) aspca.org. N.P.,N.D. Web. April 27
*werbehr. "ASPCA." Online Video Clip. Youtube. Youtube, 3 July 2007. Web. 2 May 2016