Star News -St. James Catholic School -March 1, 2019
Gospel Value: Respect
Respecting the life and dignity of myself and each person in thought, word and action.
Dear Star Families and Friends,
A recent social media challenge directed at children and young adults, called the “Momo Challenge”, is creating concern throughout the country. While there have been no reports of student interaction with it in our community, I am urging parents to become aware of this challenge and monitor your children’s use of social media and the internet. The "Momo Challenge" is an online cyberbullying game targeting young kids and teenagers through Facebook and WhatsApp. It threatens children with violence if they don't commit potentially dangerous activities.
The “Momo Challenge” is just one example of dangerous “games” through social media that has a negative impact on students and their social interactions.
Here are some tips that you can use to help monitor your child’s interaction with social media on the internet.
What parents can do
- Consider age appropriateness for children’s use of technology, time spent on social media and overall reminders of family expectations for making good choices.
- Ask your child if they know about the challenge and engage in conversations about safe technology use.
- Children should never respond to unidentified messages on social media and parents should advise their children to never share personal data, photographs or phone numbers on the internet.
- Keep their technology devices in a central location to monitor.
- Limit cell phone use.
- Urge you kids to avoid questionnaires, surveys, contests, etc.
- Create ground rules for technology usage.
- Use filtering software.
- No underage Facebooking, or any social media.
Our school counselor and teachers are aware of this most recent social media and internet concern and will monitor the situation in our building. Please contact us if you have any further questions. Let’s keep our students safe!
NEWS and more...
All School Mardi Gras Dance
When: Friday, March 1, 2019
From: 6p.m. to 9p.m.
Who: All Pre-k3 to 8th grade are invited.
Cost: $5-Entry per person!
$2 Hot Cheetos/cheese
Other dates to remember:
Get your tickets today!
March 7, at 6:30p.m. In the Great Room of the church. Come and join us!
Only $5 for a Tiny Saint. Various saints available!
Second Grade Retreat
Saturday, March 2 at
The Flu is here!
Please see the following tips to make sure our students are healthy.If your child has a fever please do not send them to school. They must be fever free for 24 hours.
The yearbook is for $30. Stop by the office and order yours today!
Join us for Stations of the Cross during Lent
Every Friday at 2:30P.M. in the church.
The Flu is here!
St James School at The Garage!
Tuesday, March 26th, 5-8pm
1024 West Interstate 240 Service Road
Oklahoma City, OK
Photos of the Week!
3rd Grade-Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Reading a Dr. Seuss book in kindergarten!
Happy Birthday Dr.Seuss!!!
St. James the Greater Catholic School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, ethnicity, national origin, or disability in the administration of its educational policies, or athletic and other school-administered programs, including student admission.