By; Lorren & ismael
How are they abused?
How do they affect the brain?
Anabolic steroids affect a part of the brain called the limbic system, which controls your emotions. Long term steroid abuse can lead to aggressive behavior and extreme mood swings.
What are other affects of Anabolic Steroids?
- High blood pressure
- Changes in blood cholesterol
- Enlarged heart
- Heart attack or stroke
- Liver disease, including cancer
- Kidney problems or failure
- Severe acne
Can you get addicted to Anabolic Steroids?
Yes. Addiction to steroids is different compared to other drugs of abuse, because users don’t become high when using it. People who do become addicted keep using steroids despite bad effects on their bodies and lives. Also, people who abuse steroids typically spend large amount of time and money obtaining the drugs, which is another sign they may be addicted.
Can you die if you abuse Anabolic Steroids?
Yes. even though it is very rare, there are a few ways steroid abuse can cause death.
- Heart attacks and strokes. Steroid use can lead to a condition called atherosclerosis, in which fat builds up inside arteries and makes it hard for blood to flow. When blood flow to the heart is blocked, a heart attack can occur. If blood flow to the brain is blocked, a stroke can occur.
- HIV. People who inject Anabolic steroids using needles may share dirty drug injection equipment that can spread serious viral infections such as HIV/AIDS or hepatitis.
How many teens abuse Anabolic Steroids?
8th - 1%
What should I do if someone I know needs help?
If you or a friend are in crisis and need to speak with someone now, please call:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (they don't just talk about suicide—they cover a lot of issues and will help put you in touch with someone close by).
If you need information on treatment and where you can find it, you can call:
- Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator at 1-800-662-HELP or visit www.findtreatment.samhsa.gov.
For more information on how to help a friend or loved one, visit our Have a Drug Problem, Need Help? page.
For more information on Anabolic Sreroids.
- Commonly Abused Drugs Chart
- DrugFacts: Anabolic Steroids
- Mind Over Matter Teaching Guide and Series: Anabolic Steroids
- Research Report Series: Anabolic Steroid Abuse
Statistics and Trends
Monitoring the Future (University of Michigan):
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: