Robots in the Real World
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Today's Technology
What is a 'Robot'?
1. A machine that resembles a human and performs routine tasks on command.
Where did the term 'Robot' come from?
The base word robot- comes from the term robota meaning compulsory labour and the term robotnik meaning a peasant owing such labour.
Why do we have robots?
People need robots for dangerous, high-precision work. Robots perform tasks in hostile environments that are impossible for humans with speed and accuracy. Without robots, our modern industrialized world would not be possible.
My Robot - ASIMO by Honda
- It is the height of a human (4'3")
- It recognizes human postures, gestures and activities and can interact with humans
- It recognizes sounds, faces and environments and detects movement
- It can walk, run and move like a human
- It can perform human tasks and communicate verbally and motion-wise
- It cannot get up once it has fallen
- It cannot jump
- It isn't waterproof