My Family history
My family history on dad's side from Peterborough
Grover Deck was a Peterborough Firefighter
Great Grandpa Grover Deck
- Grover Deck was father of 5 and was married to Betty.
- He loved playing the Harmonica when he was home from work.
- He was born in 1922 and died at 10:15 am on May 19 1951.
- The fire of the Zack's building was the second most serious fire in Peterborough
- Funeral was on May 22 and buried at the Little Lake Cemetery
- The monument above for firefighters who died in the line of duty, includes Grover Deck's name.
Story of what happen
- Grover Deck was 29 when he died in the line of duty,May 19,1951.
- Grover had the day off when he got called in to the fire of the Zacks building on George St. around 5:30 in the morning.
- His wife Betty went into town to wait for him to finish. She went to the cafe down the street to wait.
- All of a sudden she heard a sound she never thought to hear, sound of a floor or two collapsing.
Tragedy to the Deck family household
- Mrs Deck went outside. The other firefighters said, while bowing their heads, that Mr Deck was in the basement when the second and first floor suddenly collapsed.
- They also said Grover was trapped and he had a 1% chance of survival.
How the Fire effected Peterborough
- Fire damage cost around $500,000
- The Zack's building fire created a high degree of damage to surrounding buildings
- The fire brought the community togetherwhen they were helping with the clean-up of debris. There were a 40-man chain carrying debris to a big truck for there was no machinery like we have today.
- The Salvation Army served lots of sandwiches and 125 gallons of coffee for the tired firemen and volunteers who were helping all day.
- The mayor established a Mayor's Fire Trust Fund which raised about $50,000 in the first month.
- Funeral service attendance was around 4,000 people.
Little Lake Peterborough
The cemetery is located beside Little Lake downtown.
New burial stone
My Aunt Jackie put in recently when Betty died so Grover Deck , his wife and his son my dads father.
First grave stone
Buried beside my dads father