We Are Together Tamanend!
August 7, 2018
Welcome to the 2018-2019 School Year!
Principal's Welcome Letter
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to Tamanend Middle School! I am both honored and humbled to serve the Tamanend community as Principal. Throughout my career, I have committed myself to helping young people cultivate their interests and realize their true potential. For 19 years, I served in various roles at CB West. I spent 12 years in the classroom as a Spanish teacher. During that time, I also served as a class advisor, department coordinator, and graduation project coordinator. For seven years, I served as House Principal for the Classes of 2014, 2015, and 2018. I also served as Acting Building Principal in the Fall of 2015 and Spring of 2018. I learned many lessons from my colleagues and students during my career. Perhaps the most important lesson I learned is the impact of positive relationships on students, parents, colleagues, and the community at large.
Middle school is a time for exploration, discovery, practice, and growth. In exceptional middle schools like Tamanend, teachers, staff members, parents, community members, and peers work together to help each child find his or her own definition of success. Each individual child is an integral part of the Tamanend team and makes unique contributions to our school. That is why we promote the idea that we are “Tamanend Together.” Our community approaches new ideas, successes, and challenges together.
The entire Tamanend community invites you to play an active role in our school. We challenge students to join athletic teams, performing groups, and clubs. We encourage parents and guardians to attend school events, volunteer at activities, and attend Parent Council. We invite community members to enjoy our performances and support our students.
I look forward to working with you and your family. Together, we will continue to make Tamanend a special place where students define and cultivate success.
Brian D. Caughie, Ed.D.
Tamanend Middle School
7th Grade Open House
On Friday, August 24th from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m., we welcome our 7th Graders and their parents to our Open House. Please arrive at the main entrance (by the U.S. Flag). Schedules and locker assignments will be shared and tours, courtesy of our NJHS (National Junior Honors Society), will be available. If you pre-ordered your school supplies, those will also be available in the cafeteria.
The Parent and Student Portals which provide schedule information will open on August 24th at 8:00 a.m.
Any school supplies not picked up will be available in the Main Office starting Monday, August 27 through August 31 from 7 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. If you are not able to pick up your pre-ordered supplies before the start of school, they will be in the Main Office.
8th & 9th Grade Student Schedules-Available on Portal August 24th at 8 am
8th & 9th Grade student schedules will be available on the Portal starting August 24th at 8 am.
Bus Assignment & Information
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Over the summer, all students entering grades seven, eight, and nine must read at least two books. Click here to view the summer reading list. When students begin the new school year, they will be required to complete an activity related to one of the two required books. Students should make sure they have completed the reading of the two books before returning to school.
1 to 1 Technology Initiative
Central Bucks is implementing a 1 to 1 technology initiative for all 7th and 8th graders. Every Tamanend 7th and 8th grader will receive a laptop on Thursday, September 13. The purpose of the initiative is to allow for creation, mobility, and innovation at home and school. Please consider attending the following two events related to the initiative:
- District-Wide Parent/Guardian Information Night on Tuesday, August 7th, at Tohickon Middle School for parents interested in learning more about this program.
- 1 to 1 Professional Development Night on Thursday, October 4th, at Lenape Middle School for parents.
Click HERE to learn more about this initiative.
Tamanend Fall Sports
Student Emergency Contacts & Information
Each year, the Central Bucks School District asks our families to fill out a Student Emergency & Information Form. Parents/Guardians can take care of this now and we ask that you complete your family’s Student Emergency & Information Form online by September 14, 2018.
The online form will ask you to confirm and/or update the following:
- Demographic Information
- Emergency Contacts
- Health Information, including permission for emergency care and analgesic administration
- Media Release Preferences (Please note that if you click on "no" for media release, your student will not be featured in our Tamanend Connections newsletter.)
Click here to be directed to your Parent Portal account to complete the Census Verification form.
If you need assistance with this process:
- For detailed information about this process, including a User Guide, please click here.
- If you do not have a Parent Portal account, please follow this link to request one.
- If you need help filling out the online form, email or call Lori Rebstock.
- If you need technical support, please email email@example.com
As a reminder, the current immunization requirements for the 2018-2019 school year continue to be as follows:
Children in kindergarten through 12th grade are required to have the following vaccines:
- 4 doses DtaP – diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis
- 3 doses Polio
- 2 doses MMR – measles, mumps, rubella
- 3 doses Hepatitis B
- 2 doses Varicella (chicken pox)
Children entering 7th grade are also required to have:
- 1 dose Meningococcal Conjugate (meningitis)
- 1 dose DtaP – diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis
To check the immunization status of your student, go to the Portal and click on the Health tab.
Please note, the Departments of Health and Education have not made any changes to the religious, philosophical, or medical exemptions currently provided in the regulations.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Corinne Sikora at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Breakfast is Served!
Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Parking Lot Safety
It is highly recommended that parents/guardians of students who walk or take the bus have their students walk or take the bus. On days, when students need extra help getting to school, please consider driving them to their assigned bus stop and wait together in the car until the bus arrives. A student will never be marked tardy if they arrive by bus.
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
The following is a mapping of how the student drop-off works in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk indicated by paw prints on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area. Thank you for your support and careful driving.
TMS Parent Council
Tuesday, Sep. 18th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. Please note that this first meeting will take place on a Tuesday. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend? Look for our Volunteer Survey in September.
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.