The Unicorn Band Weekly
Your weekly guide to all things Unicorn Band related
Welcome to the 2021-2022 Unicorn Band!
Summer Band Information
July 26-30 Full Colorguard Camp 9am-4pm
Aug 2 Colorguard will follow the Full Band schedule from here on
Summer Band Camp
July 26-30 Full Band Camp 8am-4pm
Aug 2-13 Full Band Camp (Winds, Perc, & Colorguard) 8am-4pm (M, W, F) 8am-8pm (T & Th)
Daily Schedule (NO evening block Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays)
- 8am-11:30am – Visual Block
- 11:30am-1pm – LUNCH
- 1pm-4pm – Indoor Block
- 4pm-5:30pm – DINNER
- 5:30pm-8pm – Visual Block
Aug 16-19 Full Band Camp – 5:30pm-8:30pm
Aug 19 Meet the Unicorns
Aug 20 Band Picnic
Aug 23 First Day of School (After school rehearsals begin)
After School Rehearsals (Full Band, beginning Aug 23)
Mondays – 4:45pm-7pm
Tuesdays – 6pm-9pm
Thursdays – 4:45pm-7pm
What to Bring:
List of items to bring to rehearsal EVERY DAY:
Filled Half Gallon or more Water Jug (or multiple bottles of water) & electrolyte drinks (Water jugs will be issued to all students on the first day of camp)
Lightweight shorts or leggings (no jeans)
Light colored t-shirt or moisture wicking shirt
Low top, lightweight running shoes (no boots, sandals, high tops, or bulky shoes)
Sunscreen (Broad Spectrum SPF 30 or higher)
Towel (Large - this is to be used as a stretch mat so students don't burn themselves on the hot pavement)
Personal Hand Sanitizer
1” Black Binder and sheet protectors for marching band/concert band music (if you are able, please print and bring your marching band music)
Marching Instrument/Guard Supplies (YOU WILL NEED IT ON THE FIRST DAY) and any supplies that you need for your instruments to function AKA reeds, mouthpieces, valve oil, etc.
Lunch/Dinner for meal breaks
Water and Bathroom Breaks:
Students should arrive with water jugs pre-filled from home. Students should bring their water jugs to their spot. If a student needs to refill their water, that process will be coordinated by a director in accordance with district guidelines. Ice for drinking water will not be available at the school. Students will be allowed to use the bathroom during schedule bathroom breaks throughout the day.
Students will have an hour and a half for each meal break. For the safety of our students, we highly encourage our students to bring their own meals and eat on campus. Students are not required to remain on campus, however, students of age who are allowed to drive are not permitted to take other students off campus. Parents may drop off meals to students at the side entrance nearest the band hall, or may pick up students. Students remaining on campus during meal breaks will be required to eat in the cafeteria. All meal breaks will be monitored by the directors.
Band Apparel Store:
All band members must purchase a rehearsal shirt, shorts, and a band polo. All Windplayers and Percussionists are required to purchase the band polo as well (Guard students are not required to purchase the polo). If you still have your polo from last year you are all set. We will continue to wear them this year! Windplayers and Percussion need to be sure to order the "BAND" apparel. Colorguard members should follow instructions given by Ms. Williams.
- Apparel must be ordered from Big Frog – New Braunfels located at 1551 N Walnut Ave Ste 33 New Braunfels, TX 78130 no later than August 1st
Items will be delivered to the school by August 17th, 2021
- Orders will be delivered to the school and handed out during band camp.
- These items are the only items Unicorn Band members are required to purchase through Big Frog. All other items listed on the Big Frog site are optional purchases.
- It is recommended to purchase TWO (2) of each item in case you lose your items.
- Please go to Big Frog's location to try on any items if you are unsure of sizing.
- All other required supplies will be paid for in your fees, and will be purchased by the program, then distributed to students.
Online registration will occur from July 19 - August 1st. This year, all registration will be completed via the Rank One online system. Please refer to the tutorial provided below on how to create your account and complete online paperwork. Fee payments are due by August 27th (payable through Charms, cash, or check)
As many of you know, U.I.L. has mandated that all band students participating in marching band are required to obtain a physical prior to participating in marching activities. In order to get us back on schedule to meet the every other year requirements, only incoming freshmen, juniors, and seniors will be required to obtain physicals this year.
All students that have not been previously cleared to participate in either a sport or band for NBISD are required to obtain a physical. For us, this is all incoming 9th graders, 11th, and 12th graders, unless the student received a physical within the previous two years for NBISD athletics.
Students who previously participated in High School Band and/or Athletics or Middle School Athletics and received a physical within the last two years are exempt.
All students must complete the annual medical history questionnaire. If a student checks “yes” to one of the disqualifying medical conditions, they must get a new physical before returning to practice or competition. This form is attached below and will be included in the online registration forms available through Rank One.
- Monday - 7/26 - Seniors
- Tuesday - 7/27 - Juniors
- Wednesday - 7/28 - Sophomores
- Thursday - 7/29 - Freshman
Please make arrangements to attend. Band photos will be taken within the next two weeks so students need to be fitted right away if they want to be included in the band photo. Make-up dates will be scheduled if necessary.
Students should wear lightweight shorts and t-shirts and should avoid wearing anything bulky for uniform fittings.
This information provided below is in reference to the Online Payment Portal through Charms for the 21-22 School Year. Below you will find everything you need to know regarding band fees, including how to access the system and how to make payments.
How to Access the Charms System
- Log on to www.charmsoffice.com, and click “ENTER / LOG IN” in the upper right corner.
- Locate the “PARENT/STUDENT/MEMBERS LOGIN” section of the web page.
- Login to your student’s program account using the following School Code: unicornband
- This will bring up the main “Public” page. This will allow you to look at the “public” calendar for your organization, event list, and handouts and other “publicly shared” files, as well as a few other options.
- The first time you go here, enter your child’s ID NUMBER (provided by your Director) into the Student Area Password field. You will be directed to the Change Password screen, to set a personal password different from the ID, for future use. You may also be directed to create both a unique Username and Password for the student. There are also mechanisms to recover/reset a lost Username/Password – when you create your new password, create a “hint” as well.
- Whenever you enter using this Username/password, another more detailed screen appears, with various button options for you to access areas in the Charms account. What appears here is partially up to the Account Administrator or Head Director.
- Two areas in which you can help the director/administrator maintain his/her records:
- Update Personal Information – You may help make changes to your and your child’s student information page (such as updating phone numbers / cell carriers and email addresses if they change) to help us communicate with you more effectively. You may also be able to indicate which parent volunteer/resource groups you would like to participate in, if this feature is activated. Click Update Info to save changes.
- Our program is set up to accept online credit card payments. Via PayPal, students and parents can make credit card payments for fees, trips and deposits to students accounts.
- Click Finances -- you will see blue buttons in the four main areas of the financial statement indicating your ability to make online payments.
- Most importantly, the parent page assists both you and the teacher to communicate with each other. Stay up to date on what’s going on with your student!
- You can also download the Charms App to your smartphone – search your App Store for “Charms Parent/Student Portal” (or “Charms Blue”). It’s the way to stay in touch on the go!
How much will band/guard cost this year? Below is the breakdown of all of the band fees for 21-22. These fees are also listed in the registration sheets shared with you below.
- Fair Share Fee (All Members) - $150 - This fee includes all production costs, water jug, uniform cleaning, instructional staff, marching supplies such as drill and flip folders, and much more.
- Blue Out Shirt (All Members) - $15 - This is a booster fundraiser that we encourage all family members to participate in. The Blue Out Shirt will become an additional uniform item that the students will wear for the annual Blue Out Game.
- Additional Blue Out Shirts (Family Members, Friends, Etc.) - $15
- Instrument Rental Fee - $60 (Annually) – This fee is for students who need to rent Concert and/or Marching Wind Instruments such as Oboe, Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Trumpet, Horn/Mellophone, Trombone, Baritone/Euphonium, Tuba/Sousaphone, etc.
- Percussion Mallet/Stick Fee - $60 (Annually) – This fee is for all percussionists and goes to help provide sticks or mallets for all percussionists throughout the year.
Guard Supplies: (Required for all guard members)
- Colorguard Shoes - $35
- Colorguard Gloves - $15
- Body tights - $20
- Colorguard Jacket - $45
- Colorguard Section Shirt - $15
- Blue Out Shirt - $15
- Rifle - $40
- Sabre - $215
- Additional Blue Out Shirts - $15
- Instrument Rental - $60 (Concert Wind Instruments - Euphonium, Horn, Bassoon, Oboe, Etc.)
To ensure that all students receive a meal prior to each performance, the Band Boosters will be providing meals for all students at a cost of $10 per event. The estimated number of meals for the 2021-2022 School year is set at 20, bringing the total cost for meals to $200. This fee will be automatically assessed to all students involved in the marching program.
How to Make Payments
All financial obligations will be recorded via the Charms system. Once order forms have been collected and recorded, parents and students can login to Charms and check their balance and make payments. Student fees and balances should be finalized and recorded in the Charms system no later than August 13th. Students and parents are able to make payments online via PayPal. Once logged into Charms, parents can pay off individual fees or “fixed payments” by going into “Finances” from the home page, look under the Fixed Payment ledger, and click on the Fixed Payments they would like to pay. Payments may also be made in person via cash, check, or money order. Students can bring payments directly to Mr. Eckert or place them in the drop box located in the front of the NBHS Band Hall. Payments are due no later than Friday, August 27th. There will be no refunds on deposits. Please see Mr. Eckert for information on payment plans.
Parents and students can also login to the system and deposit money to the "Miscellaneous Ledger." This ledger will serve as sort of a bank account for students. Any money deposited into that ledger will be transferred to any fees entered into the system.
Below you will find Google forms that will allow you to figure out your fees for this year and enter the items you will need to purchase. Every single student must fill out this form, as it contains the sizing information for the Blue Out Shirt.
Booster Registration and Fees
The NBHS Band and Guard Boosters are a volunteer group dedicated to supporting the
Mighty Unicorn Band and Guard. Typically, throughout the year, the Boosters provide countless volunteer hours at football games, competitions, Fair Day, Wurstfest, and many other events. The Boosters raise money to help cover expenses for our program to compete at a high level with programs across the state. This includes, but is not limited to, additional instruction, fees, props, instruments, and equipment. We also fund special events such as the band banquet and much more. As we know, last year was not a typical year, so we’ll need your support more than ever! Please join this vital organization as a volunteer and consider supporting financially as well. Let’s help the MUB be the best it can be!
Booster Registration Form:
Along with the forms included on the Rank One registration site is a Booster registration form that every student needs to fill out. This form includes the ordering and payment information for all booster fees and extra Blue Out Shirts. Please fill out this form online or print and return to the directors along with any payments as soon as possible. These fees will be applied to student accounts in the Charms system if would you prefer to pay online.
Band Booster Membership: $10 per member
Family Member Blue Out T-Shirt: $15 each S-XL; $20 each 2XL
Performance Day Meals (See Meal information above)
August 27 Home vs. San Marcos
Sept 3 @ Seguin
Sept 10 Home vs. Canyon
Sept 16 @ Judson
Sept 23 Home vs. Smithson Valley
Sept 30 Open
Oct 8 @ Steele
Oct 15 Home vs. Wagner (Homecoming & Pink Out Game)
Oct 22 @ East Central
Oct 29 @ Clemens
Nov 5 Home vs. South San (Blue Out Game & Senior Band Parent Night)
Comal County Fair Parade
Sept 18 Dripping Springs Drumline Contest
Oct 2 Vista Ridge Marching Contest @ Vista Ridge
Oct 9 Comal Classic Marching Contest @ Canyon HS
Oct 16 UIL Region Marching Contest
Oct 30 UIL Area Marching Contest
Nov 5 & 6 BOA San Antonio
Nov 6 Brandeis Drumline Contest (Tentative)
Nov 8-10 UIL State Marching Contest
Website - www.unicornband.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/UnicornBand
Instagram - nbhsunicornband, unicorncolorguard, nbhs_jazz_band
The Band App - https://band.us/@unicornband