WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
September 27, 2020
All- State 9/10 Concert Band Audition Recording Window
Monday, Sep. 28th, 12am-11:45pm
This is an online event.
Full Outdoor Band Rehearsal
Tuesday, Sep. 29th, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
Full Outdoor Band Rehearsal
Thursday, Oct. 1st, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
All-State Jazz Ensemble Audition Recording Window
Friday, Oct. 2nd, 12am to Saturday, Oct. 3rd, 11:45pm
This is an online event.
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
Great job to all our students in the Black Pep Band for their performance at this past Friday evening's home football game. With a few bumps in the road - to be expected - everything went as smoothly as it possibly could have. It was nice to be able to perform together again and for an audience!
Thank you to all of our parent volunteers this past week! Whether it was setting up the chairs for the pep band, passing out t-shirts, monitoring the students, or keeping watch at the gate to the parking lot, we could not have had a successful evening without you! Orange Pep Band parents - please consider helping out at this Friday's performance at the home football game.
Best of luck to all our students performing their auditions for the 2020-2021 Florida All-State Bands this weekend! It is a very different audition experience dealing with a recorded audition at home, but I know you all will perform your best. Please contact me if you have any issues with recording the audition. There is also a help desk available for the HeartOut app at heartout.io.
Let's have a great week!
From the Band Booster President
Week of September 27, 2020
A HUGE thank you to all of the volunteers who helped things run so smoothly this week for the first game. Although things looked a little different, the band sounded wonderful, and it was so fun to hear them play. Thank you to those who helped to hand out t-shirts, sanitize, hand out snacks, helped with chairs and stands, etc. We appreciate your help!
Please get in your ad sales, sponsorships, and dedications. They are due on 9/30. It’s a great way to support your student and the band. Stay tuned for other opportunities to help and get to know band families. Also, please make sure you are checking the band calendar often for volunteer spots and any changes to the schedule, and please read the newsletter thoroughly. It has all the information you need to know for the upcoming week. Have a great week everyone!
PROGRAM ADS AND SPONSORS FUNDRAISER
This is your last chance to take advantage of the PROGRAM ADS and SPONSORS fundraiser. All submissions are due THIS THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30.
SENIOR PARENTS: Try to gather photos asap if you would like to put something in the program this year for their senior.
The Band’s Concert Program is distributed, free of charge, at all concerts during the school year. In addition to pictures of the Band and information about its members, the Program also contains advertisements from local businesses and Band families. ***New this school year, there will be a digital edition of the program available to distribute.*** The sale of these ads is a great way for your student to raise money that will defray your financial obligations to the Band. The student’s Band account will be credited with 60% of the ad revenue that he/she sells, depending on the Band’s printing cost. Ana Nazarian is the parent volunteer in charge of the Concert Program. Her contact info is listed below.
Options for Ads/Sponsorship Sales:
- Local Business Ads: These are black and white ads of varying sizes (business card, ¼ page, ½ page or full page). A company should submit an electronic copy of its ad in a high-resolution format of at least 300 dpi or better. Acceptable files include: PDF, JPG, PNG, EPS and PSD. Email the file to email@example.com. We request the digital format of the ad be the actual size of the ad that you are purchasing. Two business cards are required for business card ads.
- Student Dedications: Parents and other family members of any grade level student may purchase ad space (¼, ½, or full) as a dedication to their student or student’s section. The same formatting and resolution requirements listed above apply to Student Dedication Ads. A great way to honor your student, any grade level but especially Seniors, and 60% goes back to you as fundraising credit!
- Sponsorships from local businesses or families: Sponsors are financial donors listed together on a single page in the program, according to the contribution level. If you know someone who would like to donate to the Band but does not own a business, this is a great way for them to show their support.
It’s Super Easy!!!
Steps for Selling a Band Program Ad:
- Upon initial contact with a business, provide the cover letter and order form. It is helpful to show potential advertisers a copy of last year’s Program. Copies are available in the band room.
- Once a company has agreed to purchase an ad or sponsorship, fill out the order form and obtain a signature from the company representative. The order form may also be used for Student Dedication Ads and Sponsorships.
- In one envelope labeled “Program Ad/Sponsor Sales,” please submit the order form, a check payable to “WPHS Band,” and a hard copy of the ad. The digital version of the ad should be emailed to Ana Nazarian, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the student’s name and advertiser’s name in the subject line (i.e. re: John Smith, Acme Supplies, Inc.).
- Please submit all forms, ads, and payments by Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
- Forms are available on the Band’s website (winterparkhsband.com/band-boosters.html) for additional copies.
Questions? Contact Ana Nazarian at email@example.com or call 407-325-6167.
PARENT VOLUNTEERS - WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Now that we know that we have upcoming needs for parent chaperones, it's time to either renew as an ADDitions volunteer or apply if you've never done so. It is easy to apply and get approved, and it is a requirement to sign up to volunteer at school. Be prepared to upload a photo and please be sure to read the Covid-19 Acknowledgment.
Follow this link at ocps.net:
- winterparkhsband.com > Click on the ADDitions icon in the center of the home page, just below the SchoolPay.com icon.
- *Click "Volunteer Now"
- Click on the "Additions Volunteers" round button
- Click "Volunteers" as the Opportunity Type
- Select the school of your choice. (Winter Park High)
- Select opportunity #1 called: "Become an ADDitions School Volunteer" (MUST BE THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY SELECTED) and then click "view details". Click "Sign up" Then either sign in if you already have an account or create a new Volunteer Profile account.
- Renewal Applicants can check their Dashboard for eligibility status. Everyone will need to answer or update your safety questions. Just follow the prompts. Then click "Previously Registered Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to search for volunteer opportunities outside of band. *Application is processed and subject to a background check
- If you're a new applicant, click "New Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to look for volunteer opportunities outside of band.
- If you only want to volunteer for band, there is no need to click the "Search for opportunities" link.
- If we become ready for volunteers, you can sign up for band opportunities on charmsoffice.com under "Parents/Students/Members", then enter the school code: WinterparkHSBand, enter your password, click "volunteer", then select an event and opportunity. At this time it is not necessary to sign up for anything. However, if you have a moment, it's helpful to walk through the steps of signing up so you are familiar with the process.
If you have any questions or concerns about volunteering or signing up with ADDitions, don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robyn Fodor - Band Volunteer Coordinator
"Ready, Set, FUNd!" Fundraiser
Our "Ready, Set, FUNd!" fundraiser continues through Monday, October 5! Keep reaching out to anyone and everyone you hope would be willing to help out both you and the Band as a whole. This fundraiser was a big success last year, and has the potential for the students to raise a significant amount of money for the Band program!
Have a Netflix account? Hulu? PlaystationVue? "Ready, Set, FUNd" is easy and really low hassle!
What do you get?
- A year's worth of access to the City Saver App with customized coupons based on where you or your family live in the US!
- 3 annual subscriptions to magazines of your choosing.
- A 2-night stay voucher in either Orlando or Las Vegas, NV!
- A great feeling for supporting the students in the Winter Park Band!
How much is it?
- Only $10.00 a month! You can either pay per month or make one lump payment up front.
- $60.00 of your year of support goes directly to the Winter Park Band!
How much fundraising credit does my student get for getting supporters?
- $5.00 per month, per subscriber!
- That's $60.00 in fundraising credit per subscriber!
- You could cover the entire year's worth of Fair Share with 5 subscribers!
- It's so easy!
What do I do next?
- Send this link to your family and friends: readysetfund.com/share/group/winterparkband
- Get some supporters! We want everyone to try to get at least 4!
- If you get supporters before we kick-off the fundraiser on Monday, you'll be in the running for some awesome prizes given out during your Band class!
Procedures for Performance at Football Games
FORMS NEEDED TO REHEARSE/PERFORM AT SCHOOL EVENTS
- Marching Band COVID Release Form
- Completed Physical Form (Any physical you've had done this year will be sufficient, especially if for another sport. I also understand that getting an appointment is difficult at this time. Please do your best to have the physical done as quickly as possible.)
- All other Band forms that came due on Monday, August 24 (WoodwindBrassPercussionPacket or ColorGuardPacket)
- Band students, 5 parent chaperones, Mr. Clemente, and Mr. Smith arrive at Showalter Field by 6:00 PM. All Band students will meet at the northwest gate and stage on the grass field next to the track.
- During the football game, Band students will be seated in chairs provided by the City of Winter Park in the grassy area in between the north end zone and running track.
- Students will remain in the area the entire game unless they are either using the portable restroom or sheltering due to inclement weather.
- At the end of the game, Band students will gather their things and proceed back to their vehicles through the northwest gate.
Uniform for Pep Band performances: 2020-2021 Band Shirt (to be passed out on Friday, 9/25), tan/khaki shorts, belt, athletic shoes, Band face mask
Health and Safety
- Students wear face masks at all times unless playing a wind instrument.
- Students spaced at a distance of 10’ minimum at all times.
- Percussionists and Color Guard wear masks at all times.
- Directors and Parent Volunteers will monitor physical distance.
- Parent Volunteers will have hand sanitizer for student use.
- Students will bring their own jug of water. No sharing of water jugs.
- Students will only use portable restrooms. Restrooms will be located in the northwest corner of the stadium on the grassy area next to the track. No public use of these restrooms.
- Our WPHS Administration is asking families to transport their student to and from Showalter Field.
- Families are also asked to remain in attendance at the game so that in the case of inclement weather their student(s) will be able to shelter in the family vehicle.
- Each Band student will receive 2 complimentary tickets for their family to use at home football game at which their student is performing. These tickets will be physical tickets provided to the students prior to each game.
Inclement Weather Plan
- Two school buses will be stationed at the north side of the stadium to act as shelter in the event of inclement weather. Students who do not have another vehicle to go to for shelter will utilize the buses in this event.
- Students whose families are able to stay in attendance at the game will meet their family at their vehicle and shelter there.
- Personal Water Jug: Each student needs to bring their own personal water jug of at least a half gallon. The student's name should be clearly marked on the jug. Water jugs are not to be shared.
- Flip-Folders and Lyres: All students must have a flip-folder and a lyre to contain their music for outdoor band. Flip Folders are quite easy to come by and readily available for purchase online or in a local music store like Underwood Music, the Band Room, or Music Shack. Lyres are much more specific to each instrument. The best way to purchase a lyre is to bring your student's instrument into a music shop and "try-on" lyres. Since manufacturing differs, lyre sizing differs as well.
- Printed Music: Students should have all their parts printed and placed into their flip folder before our Full Outdoor Band rehearsal on Thursday. If you do not have access to a printer at home, have your student contact their section leader to find a solution to having music copied. All PDFs of music for outdoor band can be found on Canvas under Modules.
Unlike a full band rehearsal experience, studying with a private teacher focuses in on the student’s individual needs. Students who study privately once a week from a professional musician are usually those who excel and find Band more enjoyable. These students frequently earn positions in honor groups like All-State and All-County, and make entry into our more advanced bands like Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble I. Some even go on to earn college scholarships, even if they are not majoring in music!
By following the link below, you will find a list of local private teachers. This list is not exhaustive, and there may be other individuals who are not on the list. If you know a private teacher who should be added (or would like to be deleted), please contact Mr. Clemente at email@example.com.
NEW PARENT LIAISON
If you are having a technology issue and have not yet reached out to the school about resolution, please email Mr. Steffey at Donald.Steffey@ocps.net to set up an appointment at school for your computer to be looked at. Email should be sent as soon as you read this!
As a reminder, students are considered present in their LaunchED class if they:
- Joined the call before the tardy bell.
- Have their camera on the entire class period.
- Are able to be seen, face and instrument, in the camera view.
- Participate in class from bell to bell.
Students who do not have their camera on for the duration of class, and we have not received an email from the school stating awareness of the issue and work towards it being resolved, will be marked absent.
Thank you for your work to resolve these technology issues!
FINANCES & CHARMS
Past Due Band Payments
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/5
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $25.00 Due 8/19
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE