Vertebrates

Fish, amphibians, reptiles, and mammals!

Some Of Our Vertebrates!!!

Fish

There are 3 different types of fish. Jawless fish Cartilaginous fish, & bony fish. 95% of fish population are bony fish and the other 5% are cartilaginous & jawless fish.

Jawless Fish

Jawless fish have no scales, a skeleton made out of cartilage, & no jaw.

Examples: Lamprey & hagfish.

Bony Fish

Bony fish make up 95% of fish species. Bony fish have a skeleton made out of bone, have gills, have fins, have a jaw, & have scales.

Examples: Clown fish, trouts, & seahorses.

Cartilaginous fish

Cartilaginous fish have a skeleton made out of cartilage, they are carnivores, have jaws, & have scales.

Examples: Sharks, skates, & rays.

Big image

Amphibians

Amphibians live the beginning of their lives in water but as they grow in to an Aleut they live mostly on land . Amphibians are ectothermic which means they are cold blooded. Amphibians hatch from eggs with gills that helps them breathe under water when they are young. They go through a process call metamorphosis. Which they develop legs, lungs, & their head to become an adult.

Examples: Frogs & Salimandors.

Reptiles

All reptiles are ectothermic, lay eggs, have scaly skin, & have lungs.

Examples: Lizards, turtles, alligators, crocodiles, & snakes

Alligators & Crocodile

Alligators & crocodile both care for their young & have strong tails to swim.

Alligators- Only a few teeth visible when their mouth are shut & broad rounded nose.

Crocodiles- Most teeth visable when mouth shut & a poitned nose.

Snakes

Snakes are covered with over lapping scales, have no legs, no eyelids, internal ears which means they have a hole in the side of their head.

Examples: Cobras. Copperheads, & pythons.

Turtles

Turtles have a hard protective shell that covers their body. Their shells can be hard or soft and they are covered with scales. Most can draw their head and legs into their shell.

Examples:Sea turtle, painted turtle, & tortoises

Lizards

Lizards lay eggs, have four, long tail, moveable eyelid, & external ears.

Examples: kamodo dragon, gecko, chameleon.

Big image

Birds

Birds are endothermic which means their body tempeture stays the same in all kinds of weather, build their nests, have feathers, have bills, & lay eggs. Birds eat rocks so the rocks can break down their food in thier gizzard because they don't have teeth. Not all birds can fly but most birds can. There are over 10,000 species of birds.

Examples: Blue Jays, penguins, & Eagles ect.

Mammals

There are 3 different types of mammals. Marsupials, monotremes, & placentals. All mammals are endothermic, have a four chambered heart, have fur or have hair, & the mother produces milk for their young so the can eat. Most mammals give live birth but there is one group which that lays eggs which is the monotremes.

Placentals

Placentals are the largest group of mammals. This group of mammals does internal fertilization which means the young forms in its mothers stomach.

Examples: Humans, zebras, monkeys, & many more!

Big image

Marsupials

Marsupials have a pouch on their body so their young can stay in there until their old enough to leave.

Examples: Kangaroos, opposum, koalas.