Clemens Crossing Cougar Comments
May 15, 2020 - Volume 41, Issue 35
For Virtual Orientations, please check your email for invitations and Google Meet codes.
The orientations are for specified groups not for everyone.
- 18 - Virtual Orientation for incoming rising 1st and 2nd grade students from Swansfield ES, 10:30 a.m.
- 18 - Virtual Orientation for rising 1st and 2nd grade students going to Bryant Woods ES (by invite only)
- 19 - Virtual Orientation for incoming rising 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students from Swansfield ES, 10:30 a.m.
- 18 - Virtual Orientation for rising 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students going to Bryant Woods ES (by invite only)
- 8 - Virtual Orientation for rising 6th grade students going to Wilde Lake MS, TIME TBD
From School Administration
At today's school board meeting, the final day of the 2019 -2020 school year will be determined. This year has offered many new challenges that we have never faced before!
We thank you for your partnership and patience as we charted a new path.
This week marks the end of our third full week of distance learning online. After the initial orientation meetings and the first week of distance learning, there were modifications to the requirements for attendance, participation, and grades. I acknowledge that there has been a lot of communication along the way, and some of the details may have passed you by. Hopefully, this will clarify how we are calculating attendance and how teachers will be calculating if a student receives a P (pass) or I (incomplete) on their fourth-quarter report card. Please note, this only reflects the minimum requirements for report card purposes. It is expected that students continue to work on all these activities, assignments, and programs even if they fulfill the minimal requirements for attendance and passing. The guidelines were developed with care and respect for you, the parents, as you balance the many responsibilities you have during this historic time.
Attendance Requirements for Distance Learning
In order to be considered present during distance learning, students need to be present weekly for ONE of the following:
- a virtual Check-in (ELA or Math)
- access Lexia Core, or
- access Dream Box.
If students are in one of those three areas, they will be marked present for the week.
We hope students will strive to be present for both the ELA and Math virtual Check-ins as well as participate in both DreamBox and Lexia Core daily.
Pass or Incomplete
Students will receive one of two grades for the fourth quarter; Pass (P) or Incomplete (I).
Here are the criteria for students to earn a grade of Pass for each content area.
- ELA - Students are expected to participate in Lexia Core for at least 15 minutes a day for a total of 75 minutes a week. Over seven weeks, that equates to 525 minutes. In order to receive a P in ELA, students need to log at least 263 minutes (50% of 525).
- Math - Students are expected to participate in Dreambox for at least 15 minutes a day for a total of 75 minutes a week. Over seven weeks, that equates to 525 minutes. In order to receive a P in Math, students need to log at least 263 minutes (50% of 525).
It is our hope (and expectation) that students work in Lexia Core and DreamBox daily for at least 15 minutes. As long as they do this, they will not have to worry about getting an incomplete for ELA or Math.
The ELA and Math tasks that have been assigned in addition to Lexia Core and DreamBox activities are similar to what we would be doing in the classroom if we were in the school building, so we wanted to continue those important learning tasks. Those assignments are not part of the ELA and/or Math Pass or Incomplete grading calculations.
After the first week of distance learning, HCPSS added a way to monitor and keep track of the completion of Science, Social Studies, and Health activities. A "Submit" button was added to those Canvas pages and activities. In order to receive a Pass (P) for Science, Social Studies, and Health, students need to do the following for each content area:
- Science - Press the submit button 3 out of the 6 weeks after completing the activities/assignments.
- Social Studies - Press the submit button 3 out of the 6 weeks after completing the activities/assignments.
- Health - Press the submit button 3 out of the 6 weeks after completing the activities/assignments.
Shortly after HCPSS added submit buttons for content areas, Related Arts followed.
In order to receive a Pass (P) for Related Arts, students need to do the following for each content area:
- Art - Press the submit button 2 out of the 5 weeks after completing the activities/assignments.
- Music - Press the submit button 2 out of the 5 weeks after completing the activities/assignments.
- Technology - Press the submit button 2 out of the 5 weeks after completing the activities/assignments.
- Media - Press the submit button 2 out of the 5 weeks after completing the activities/assignments.
- Physical Education - Press the submit button 2 out of the 5 weeks after completing the activities/assignments.
If students do not complete the minimum, they will receive an Incomplete (I). Students will be provided opportunities into September to complete the minimum and receive a Pass (P) on their final report card SY2019-20.
Again, our hope is to have all students participate 100% of the time in content and related arts. Our teachers spent a considerable amount of time working to provide the continuation of learning. They are amazing, and they want students to take advantage of all of the resources they have prepared. We encourage your child to maximize all of the incredible learning available. At the same time, we fully understand the challenges and stresses associated with online/distance learning. There is the challenge of device sharing, working parents, and managing a "cabin-fever" household just to name a few. If students do not get to everything, that is fine. I wanted to make sure everyone knew the minimum requirements for the 4th quarter and how it will be reported on the report card. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me by email at email@example.com or by phone at 410-294-8129.
Thank you for your continued support and patience during this unique time period in our children's education.
Change In Student Check-In Schedule Beginning May 18th
As shared in Dr. Martirano’s recent communication, elementary schools will soon offer additional opportunities for student-teacher interaction based upon feedback from teachers, administrators, and parents. Beginning May 18th, the elementary distance learning schedule will include the opportunity for all students to attend both an English Language Arts Check-In and a Math Check-In each week. You should have received an email from your child’s teacher this week explaining which check-in will be designated for ELA and Math each week.
Spring Online Chess Club
Silver Knights is offering small group and broadcast chess classes and tournaments all online for $19/month. The PTA gets a donation for each signup - so make sure you specify CCES. The registration page is chess.skenrichment.com.
Any family with financial hardship (either in general or due to job loss during coronavirus) can join for FREE. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
They are also doing weekly webinars for interested families on Mondays at 8 pm. The link to join those is here.
Columbia Community Care
Our goal is to provide families in the community with food and supplies due to the effects of Coronavirus such as unemployment and financial challenges.
If you are in need and have NO transportation to one of our five sites*, you may order home delivery through this form. Please note that delivery will take between 10-15 days.
If you are in urgent need and have transportation, we encourage you to visit one of our sites for faster service. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
*Our sites are:
•Swansfield Elementary School
•Wilde Lake Middle School
•Oakland Mills Middle School
•Lake Elkhorn Middle School
•Howard High School
We are open from 11:30 am-1:30 pm everyday
Nuestro objetivo es proporcionar a las familias de la comunidad alimentos y suministros debido a los efectos del Coronavirus como el desempleo y desafíos financieros.
Si está necesitado y NO tiene transporte a alguno de nuestros cinco locales*, puede pedir una entrega a su vivienda llenando este formulario. Tome en cuenta de que la entrega será entre 10-15 días.
Si está necesitado urgentemente y tiene transporte, le urgimos que visite a alguno de nuestros locales para servicio más rápido. Si tiene alguna pregunta, envíe un correo electrónico a firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Nuestros locales son:
•Swansfield Elementary School
•Wilde Lake Middle School
•Oakland Mills Middle School
•Lake Elkhorn Middle School
•Howard High School
Estamos abiertos entre las 11:30am-1:30pm todos los días
INFORMATION WORTH REPEATING
Are You Moving?
If you have moved or are moving soon, please notify us as soon as possible.
We are available to assist you with transitioning to your child's new school. Whether it be another HCPSS school, private school, or to a school out of the HCPSS district, we are here to help. If you are transferring to another HCPSS school, our registrars will partner to make the transition as smooth as possible.
If you have an address change, please fill out the attached fillable Address Change Form and email it back to us with your new deed or lease. This way we can electronically verify your school district and update your new address on file. If you have any questions, contact our registrar, Jennifer Aballo: email@example.com
Check-out the school system's most current information about Continuity of Learning.
Mrs. Rogers' Office Hours
Dear CCES Students and Families,
I hope you are doing well. I have been thinking about you and missing you! I look forward to reconnecting with you!
I will have office hours available daily from 9:30am - 11:30am and from 12:00pm - 1:00pm starting Tuesday, April 14th. I will be scheduling appointments to meet during that time.
We can meet virtually (I’d love to see you) or on the phone. Please use this link to request your appointment. Click here to schedule a time with Mrs. Rogers
I look forward to talking with you in the upcoming days and weeks. Please know that I am still here to talk with you. Stay safe and well.
Dr. Eng's Office Hours
Hello CCES Parents and Teachers,
Our school psychologist, Dr. Eng, will be holding office hours on Wednesdays and Fridays from 2:00pm - 3:30pm.
If you need to reach him, you can schedule a time to access my services by clicking on the link below.
When you click on the link, you will be taken to a google calendar with the available time slots. Please click on the time slots entitled Dr. Eng Office Hours to choose a time to meet. Please type in the following information in the description box and click the SAVE button at the bottom of the page.
The HCPSS Elementary School Counseling Connection Newsletter is a great resource for students and parents to read together.
Included in the School Counseling Connection newsletter are celebrations, activities for home as well as self-care ideas.
Click on the first two issues below:
Free Meal Services
The Howard County Public School System will continue to provide free Grab-N-Go meals to anyone age 18 and under and/or any HCPSS student, regardless of age, throughout state-mandated school closures, extended through the end of the school year.
Participants will be given a Grab-N-Go snack, lunch, and dinner for that day, as well as a Grab-N-Go breakfast for the following day. Friday distributions at school-based locations only also will include meals to sustain children through the weekend. Participants are encouraged to bring a bag to carry home meals each day.
Children do not need to be present; parents/guardian may pick up meals for their child(ren). There is no application, enrollment, or fees to participate in this program.
HCPSS Free Meal Service
- Ongoing, Weekdays
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- School-Based Locations:
- Bushy Park Elementary School, 14601 Carrs Mill Road, Glenwood
- Cradlerock Elementary School/Lake Elkhorn Middle School, 6680 Cradlerock Way, Columbia
- Deep Run Elementary School, 6925 Old Waterloo Road, Elkridge
- Ducketts Lane Elementary School, 6501 Ducketts Lane, Elkridge
- Hollifield Station Elementary School, 8701 Stonehouse Drive, Ellicott City
- Howard High School, 8700 Old Annapolis Road, Ellicott City
- Laurel Woods Elementary School, 9250 North Laurel Road, Laurel
- Oakland Mills Middle School, 9540 Kilimanjaro Road, Columbia
- Swansfield Elementary School, 5610 Cedar Lane, Columbia
- Talbott Springs Elementary School, 9550 Basket Ring Road, Columbia
- Wilde Lake Middle School, 10481 Cross Fox Lane, Columbia
- Community Locations: (Weekend meals not provided at community locations)
- Forest Ridge Apartments, 5890 Stevens Forest Rd, Columbia
- Monarch Mills Apartments, 7600 Monarch Mills Way, Columbia
- Bethel Christian Academy, Campus 1, 8455 Savage Guilford Rd., Savage
A list of additional food distribution locations, not sponsored by HCPSS, is available online. Additionally, the Community Action Council of Howard County sponsors a Food Bank and supports 14 food pantries that support families in need of emergency food assistance. More information about food assistance and a list of the food pantries remaining open during the COVID-19 crisis is available on the Community Action Council’s website.
Device Return Procedures
Parents/guardians of new incoming students and those entering Kindergarten in the 2020-2021 school year (who are not already enrolled) are able to begin the enrollment process online, followed by completion of the registration process with the registrars when schools reopen. Online registration is not required and parents may elect to complete the full registration in person at the time of reopening.
Once school buildings reopen, parents will be contacted to complete the registration at the child’s school. Parents or legal guardians must visit their child’s school and provide proof of parental relationship and any other documents not provided during the online registration process.