The Most Important Body System
The function of the circulatory system is to deliver oxygen, nutrient, and hormones throughout the body.
- The Circulatory or Cardiovascular system is all throughout the body. It consists of the heart, blood vessels, arteries, veins, capillaries, blood, white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, and plasma.
- The circulatory system work by the oxygenation of blood and the pumping of the blood throughout the body via the heart.
- The heart pumps the blood into the blood vessels throughout the body and then back into the heart through veins.
Problems with the circulatory system
- Sickle cell anemia- this is a disease of the red blood cells. This causes a deformity of the red blood cells that causes them to get stuck in blood vessels. This disease is passed on genetically and include pain, infection, and damage to organs.
- Atherosclerosis- this is a disease that causes the hardening of arteries along with the narrowing of the passageway. This disease is caused by poor diet and not enough exercise and the the symptoms include chest pain and shortness of breath.
How to keep the system healthy
- Regular exercise to keep your heart healthy
- Eating fewer fats while getting plenty of fruits and vegetables to keep a healthy weight
Why it should stay a part of the body
- All other systems would fail without it
- Nothing in our body could work without circulation and blood delivering oxygen to it
- Without the circulatory system people could not function or live
- If all the veins and arteries in your body were put end to end it would be 60,000 miles long
- The heart can still beat after being removed from the body
- While in space blood pools in the chest and head instead of the legs
- 2,000 gallons of blood pumps through your heart each day
- Your heart beats 3,000,000,000 time throughout your life