Weekly Newsletter - October 28, 2019
You Can't Teach or Expect - What you Don't Know or Can't Do
Leaders who regulate themselves effectively rarely verbally attack others, make rushed or emotional decisions, stereotype people, or compromise their values. Self-regulation is all about staying in control.
This element of emotional intelligence, according to Goleman, also covers a leader's flexibility and commitment to personal accountability
So, how can you improve your ability to self-regulate?
- Know your values – Do you have a clear idea of where you absolutely will not compromise? Do you know what values are most important to you? Spend some time examining your "code of ethics." If you know what's most important to you, then you probably won't have to think twice when you face a moral or ethical decision – you'll make the right choice.
- Hold yourself accountable – If you tend to blame others when something goes wrong, stop. Make a commitment to admit to your mistakes and to face the consequences, whatever they are. You'll probably sleep better at night, and you'll quickly earn the respect of those around you.
- Practice being calm – The next time you're in a challenging situation, be very aware of how you act. Do you relieve your stress by shouting at someone else? Practice deep-breathing exercises to calm yourself. Also, try to write down all of the negative things you want to say, and then rip it up and throw it away. Expressing these emotions on paper (and not showing them to anyone!) is better than speaking them aloud to your team. What's more, this helps you challenge your reactions to ensure that they're fair!
Have a great week!
Your Student Services Team
Click below for a great article about putting a definition to defiance. The article includes great ideas to coach and share with your teachers.
Updates and Information
- Past Due: ROCK Attestations to ensure that all staff and students have been trained on Anti-bullying and Harassment was due on Oct. 25th. Please send all attestations to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Here is the link to all the training and required attestation: https://sites.google.com/kellerisd.net/rock/trainings
- We have 3 spots left for the CHAMPS 2 day training. This is classroom management training and strategies for teachers on campuses. SEL, Restorative, and Positive Behavior Supports are woven through the entire training. It is really good training for classroom management. The cost is $50.00 for the book by Randy Sprick and the cost of the sub. Student Services is handling the rest of the expenses. The consultant will be from our Region XI Service Center. Dates below are in Strive: Day 1 - October 29th and Day 2 - November 12th (It is a two-day training)
- ROCK Shirts will begin to be delivered to campuses this week.
- Oct. 1st the Transfer Window opened for the Spring of 2020. Please review and have your principal and secretary review the timeline and process on the Student Services Google Site here Transfer Process. Here is the link to the transfer page on our Keller ISD website: Student Transfers.
Oct. 31st - Education Support Team Webinar 10:00-11:00 https://zoom.us/j/446036054
- Early Voting this week!!!
- November 13th and 14th - AP Meeting 8:30-12:00 - Optional C and I Meetings 1:00-4:00
More Professional Development for You!
Question: Do I ensure that the school environment is conducive to learning? How much time and energy do you devote to what your school environment will look like? What will be on the hallway walls? What message do I want the walls to convey? What stories do I want the walls to tell? Mr. Kafele writes how he wanted the walls of his school to inform, inspire, and empower. He made it a point to affix positive images and quotes on every wall in his building from historical figures who reflected the student body. As the year progressed, they added material to the walls that reflected the students' achievements. The intent was to create a warm positive, and engaging learning environment for all students.
Joe Baker - Area Director of Student Services X1083
Stephanie Cantu - Student Services Assistant X 1115
Laura Lockhart - Area Director of Student Services X 1105