If you're thristin' you're hurtin'
How to properly collect water
- Store at least one gallon a day per person, for at least three days.
- Sealed store bought bottles should be replaced as needed.
- If filling your own bottles, collect water from a safe supply.
- Store water in thoroughly washed containers.
- Seal water containers tightly.
- Replace water every six months.
Purify by Boiling
If your water is unsafe this is the best method to kill bacteria
- Water taken from Rain, Lakes, Rivers and Streams, Natural Springs, and Ponds should be boiled.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil for at least one minute before removing the heat.
- Let the water cool before drinking.
- Add two drops of bleach per gallon of water to store it.
Purify by Bleach
Note; Cloudy water should be filtered before adding bleach
- Treat water by using household bleach such as Clorox, or Purex.
- The bleach must be between 5.25 and 8.25 percent Chlorine. READ THE LABEL.
- Avoid bleaches with additives. READ THE LABEL.
- Add water to a Clean container and using the table below.
Volume of Water to be TreatedBleach Solution to Add
1 quart/1 liter 5 drops
1/2 gallon/2 quarts/2 liters 10 drops
1 gallon 1/4 teaspoon
5 gallons 1 teaspoon
10 gallons 2 teaspoons
Mix for at least 60 minutes before dinking,